Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PC user who became a Mac lover... read more

PC user who became a Mac lover... read more
redoid
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2004, 10:44 AM

hello all,

I was a PC user for the past 10 years when i first saw those kick ass laptops by Mr jobs.
Then i thought, hey theyre nice, but since i was a fool and a PC fanboy, i always felt the need to diss them.

Until i actually got bored of PCs, viriis, crashes, fan noises etc etc etc, the list goes on. Then i proceed to buy a PB17. I was kinda scared to buy it at first since i didnt know anything about them. But after using it intensively for a month, its quite easy to get used to it.

And i am just loving it. I dont boot my PC anymore maybe once or twice to boot up the small network i have. The PB wins it all. Portable, MAC OS panther is the lick, all the apple applications are perfectly made etc etc.

So to all the PC users who are scared to buy an apple but are tempted, just go for it, those things are hot ****. I will never go back to MS and PCs again,

thnx apple.

Red
its a fact that im dope.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2004, 10:54 AM

Congrats and welcome to the MacWorld. Firstly, not to be nitpicking but it's written Mac not MAC. MAC is what is on an ethernet card, a Mac is what you are using now.

How did the Mac fare in your Price comparison between the two?
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

redoid  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2004, 11:05 AM

what do you mean?

:]
its a fact that im dope.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2004, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by redoid:
what do you mean?

:]
I mean how did it compare? Was it more expensive? About the same? Less? That is what I mean.

What PC laptop were you comparing it to?

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2004, 11:11 AM

A MAC address is a unique serial number for connection hardware. For example, my colleagues Dell notebook has a MAC address for the onboard ethernet card and a MAC address for his wifi card. (I'm not sure if the Centrino machines have two different MAC addresses since wifi is built in).

Welcome aboard! I think my PB17 is a truly awesome machine.

sheer
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2004, 11:11 AM

I don't think you can realistically put Apple in a like for like price comparison as they'd lose 99 times out of 100.

Look at Dell as an example, subsidised by Intel (which is the real reason they don't use AMD cpus) so they can keep prices so cheap.

Where Apple score is in the quality of their products (in terms of build quality/materials used and the fact that they last for years and years etc), the packaging (read attention to detail) and the aesthetics.

Think of it more as comparing Armani Jeans to Levi's.

redoid  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2004, 11:12 AM

Oh right, this PB is my first apple! I should have said it in my first post.

No need to compare anyway, Apple wins. Period!

its a fact that im dope.

redoid  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 27, 2004, 11:14 AM

im slightly drunk sorry!

i meant to say that it was my first laptop!

hehe
its a fact that im dope.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2004, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by sheer:
I don't think you can realistically put Apple in a like for like price comparison as they'd lose 99 times out of 100.

Look at Dell as an example, subsidised by Intel (which is the real reason they don't use AMD cpus) so they can keep prices so cheap.

Where Apple score is in the quality of their products (in terms of build quality/materials used and the fact that they last for years and years etc), the packaging (read attention to detail) and the aesthetics.

Think of it more as comparing Armani Jeans to Levi's.
The only reason I asked was because I'm curious if Price was a factor in his choice since he said he also looked at PC laptops. I know their is no way Apple will be able to compete in Price but the overall package to me is why Apple for me will win hands down every time.

dukefrisbee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2004, 01:14 PM

As a former 100% PC addict and a proud new owner of a 15" AL 1.25, I can say that the Mac is a joy to use.

However, rightly or wrongly, there is realistically a place for both. Unfortunately, it's a largely PC world out there and using the Mac in many business environments is very difficult. I pushed hard to get an Apple product to use at work and it has been a very difficult integration. Most application specific vendors don't even address the market. Even certain java aps which seem to run fine on PC's do not run well on the Powerbook.

I also have a hard time understanding why more software companies don't address this market! Especially the mid-priced consumer market. For example, I walked into Best Buy and spent $100 on a GPS with mapping software for my PC laptop that's amazing for what is costs. No similar product for the Mac, and it doesn't even work through VPC. I guess there are always going to be trade offs for a more stable, integrated OS.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2004, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by dukefrisbee:
As a former 100% PC addict and a proud new owner of a 15" AL 1.25, I can say that the Mac is a joy to use.

However, rightly or wrongly, there is realistically a place for both. Unfortunately, it's a largely PC world out there and using the Mac in many business environments is very difficult. I pushed hard to get an Apple product to use at work and it has been a very difficult integration. Most application specific vendors don't even address the market. Even certain java aps which seem to run fine on PC's do not run well on the Powerbook.

I also have a hard time understanding why more software companies don't address this market! Especially the mid-priced consumer market. For example, I walked into Best Buy and spent $100 on a GPS with mapping software for my PC laptop that's amazing for what is costs. No similar product for the Mac, and it doesn't even work through VPC. I guess there are always going to be trade offs for a more stable, integrated OS.
There is Mapping software for the Mac. There are also GPs's that will run on them as well

bkb
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2004, 02:16 PM

im slightly drunk sorry!
PowerBooks can do that to you...
PBG4/12"/1GHz/1.25GB/60GB//SD/APX/10.3

dukefrisbee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2004, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
There is Mapping software for the Mac. There are also GPs's that will run on them as well
Thanks. I looked at the Rte 66 software but after reading some less than great reviews, trying to find someone who actually used it with a GPS, and no response to my inquiry from the company, I decided against it. It seemed to be a case where if you already had certain models of Garmin or compatible GPS' the software was capable or accessing it, etc... Shamefully, I decided to take the easy path.

I guess my overall point was that it's unfortunate that with as many Mac users as sales would indicate there are, it's still seems that the economics aren't there to write the variety of titles that would be nice. Been to Best Buy, Circuit City, and all the Office supply chains in my town and not one has any Mac titles in the store.

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2004, 06:18 PM

Might be irrelevant, but it's always good to put http://www.versiontracker.com/ in your favorites/bookmarks. A search for GPS gave a few hits and I think this might be the software you want for your Mac:
http://www.macgpspro.com/
/Petra

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 27, 2004, 07:09 PM

Mac software is not well covered by circuit city, best buy or stores like office max. They live on tiny margins and high volume sales. I doubt they even carry the best PC software. Need to go to a computer store for that.

CompUSA and the Apple store are the best brick and mortar places to visit IMHO.

Macmall, macconnection, etc, and Mac stores like small dog are good for ordering via mail order or the internet.

And MacUpdate and versiontracker (as suggested) are the best way for software downloads.

built2crawl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 27, 2004, 11:13 PM

"Once you go MAC, you never go back!"

igorsway
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2004, 12:27 AM

I switched to a Powerbook about 6 months ago mainly due to a crush on the 17" screen. But, now it's love baby - I've never appreciated any OS as much as OSX.

...still miss a two-button mouse though.

sugarkane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2004, 08:08 AM

Originally posted by igorsway:
I switched to a Powerbook about 6 months ago mainly due to a crush on the 17" screen. But, now it's love baby - I've never appreciated any OS as much as OSX.

...still miss a two-button mouse though.
when you don't check places like macupdates then do you.....

my man you just don't know whats good for ya

1 word.....

SIDETRACK

they say once you go sidetrack you don't go back

check this site cause you lose the usb mouse for ever ( unless your photoshoping )
the thing has scrolling in both Horizontal and Vertical

http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/sidetrack/

i will request your first born now....

sk

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2004, 09:06 AM

Hello and I welcome you to the light side. I've been Mac only for almost a year now since I bought my first Mac, which is this 17" Powerbook. I'm looking toward buying a Power Mac this coming Oct. I've not use a PC since I've switched.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

paully dub
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2004, 10:42 AM

I've been using Macs seriously since the arly nineties. In the graphic design-illustration community they're evrywhere. However I was always buying pcs- because they were cheaper, and well cheaper.

And there was a time in the mid-late nineties that Macs at work seemed to be crashing more than the pcs at home. Thus, pcs were cheaper and better.

Then OS X came out, and along with those snazzy Titanium powerbooks - it was an awesome comeback. I bought one over a year ago, and pcs are officially a thing of the past. I haven't even managed to make this bad boy crash ONCE. Needless to say, I haven't had to reinstall the OS either or deal with viruses.

All I want to do is buy Apple producs these days - a 12 inch pb, a 20" display, a g5 powermac, an iPod mini...

Adopt-A-Yankee

igorsway
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2004, 12:32 PM

http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/sidetrack/

i will request your first born now....

sk

[/B][/QUOTE]

sugarkane - that's a slick utility. Thanks. (BTW, if you ever met my first born, you'd probably ask for something else..)

mjames
Forum Regular
Feb 28, 2004, 08:46 PM

The think the title of this thread says it all for me! I used PCs since back to Windows 3.1 on a beige IBM, before you used a mouse. But I got sick of Windows and its hassles and got my first taste of Apple's offerings when I got an iPod last Christmas. I got my 15" 1.25 Ghz PB this February and will be taking it to college this fall. I've been Windows-free for a month, and I honestly don't miss it.

Adjusting was much easier than I thought it would be. The quality of the software on the Mac seems much higher. When I think about it, the Mac really does seem like the "light side" compared to the Redmond giant and the "dark side." I'm home.

sugarkane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 29, 2004, 06:59 AM

don't forget to check back cause it's a beta dirver ( not a utility ) and it will expire in 5 months hopfully the guy who does it will get the 1.0 version up in the next 6 months and not start charging for it...

the menu meters stuff they do is the best and lowest cpu usage system info tracker around,
and if you look at the overall qualitiy of the software out of this IT house is top ****

the side track dirver it the first piece of warz theat EVERY power book owner should have

sk

and on another note why does know one know how too fix the modem crashing bug in 10.3

CoolWolf
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 29, 2004, 07:08 AM

Hey,
this is my first post ever in a Mac Forum and to be honest, four weeks ago it was almost impossible for me as a PC user for more than 15 years now, even to think about doing so ...

But what happened in between?

At the beginning of February I spent a few days in Las Vegas. I went there to an Apple Store to look for some accessories for my iPod when I saw an awesome piece of great design and up-to-date technology:
the Apple PowerBook 17''!

I have to say that I fell immediately(!) in love with that PB and I can hardly wait to get my hands on it again. The only problem is, that they are in Germany even more pricy than in the USA - up to 1000$ more ...
So I may get one of those nice PB 17'' when I will be in the USA again this summer.
Bye,
Wolle

Zatt
Mar 1, 2004, 08:16 AM

I will never go back to MS and PCs again
I've been saying that exact same thing to everyone who asked me how I like my Powerbook. I'm hooked.

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2004, 01:04 PM

I don't know where you are comparing but I did a compareson of a dell ibook sony gateway and ibm, apple, hp and so far The prices are very very very similr. Apple actually was a tid bit cheeper as a total espically when you don't have any legacy ports with it as well. Do the price add up your self. I have it saved just pm me if you don't believe me. so that 99 out of 100 is all false.

saranwarp
Forum Regular
Mar 2, 2004, 03:25 AM

I'm so glad I grew up with Macs...I've been on the light side my whole life. =)

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 2, 2004, 11:08 PM

I've always found Apple laptops to be pretty competitive feature for feature, if not a better bang for the buck overall.

Plus, PC laptops can't run Mac OS. So right there is reason enough.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2004, 12:00 AM

I was (still am) a PC user.

But: Since my first Mac in 1999 I can't get enough. When i actually want to USE a computer I *always* go for my Mac. :-)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

an0therdumbsn
Aug 3, 2004, 02:07 AM

I got my 15 inch pb for graduation a few months ago after having such a great experience with the iPod. Mac's and OSX truly are a beuatiful thing.
The only thing stopping me from going all the way and replacing my Dell desktop with the upcoming imac is the games aspect. It really is a shame that apple has to constintly prove themselves to everyone else. A g5 with optimum hardware would rule a cocoa version of counter strike or other games over a basic PC.
If apple can some how get more game developers on their side, or a way to get eexsisting games to run on OSX then i would be willing to bet an almost double market share.

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2004, 11:07 AM

MAC = Media Access Control

That is the ID# of each ethernet card. All ethernet cards have a unique MAC address such as "FF 00 AE 9B 3D 77" Go to system info and see for yourself.

Mac = Macintosh
MAC = Media Access Control

DL_AMG
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2004, 12:31 PM

I too a long time Wintel user and just bought an used TiBook 1G Superdrive from local recycler to test the water.

Well, I have a Mac Addict friend that nagging all the time about how great the Mac is and he even put his old TiBook 400 into his car truck and use his car Navigation screen and bluetooth phone to navigate his Tibook at the front to control iTune, DVD, TV show from hard-drive, etc. So I give in...

After having for almost 2 months, it really need a little time to get use to:
- single mouse (Sidetrack installed, great beta tool but can be better)
- smart window maximizer (good feature but still looks weird not max the screen)
- task bar that only show application not every single window (used to tab between the windows)
- weird website layout if I try to increase the font size (End up changing the preference in the font section to make it work)
- can't "Fully" navigate my company website due to Java and no updated MS Explorer for Mac.
- can't trade stock using proprietary software from brokerage company (PC only, not sure it will work on VPC)
...just to name a few.
But I still in LOVE with this new toy and enjoy it more and more each time I use it.
Before I get the TiBook I was going to find something to replace my almost 3 yr old Sony Vaio Notebook P3 1G. I am glad that I got the TiBook but still can't ditch my Vaio PC...

I really enjoy the Mac OSX and the Expose features. The overall appearance is very please and friendly. And I think the price of PB (new) is very competitive to PC. For $1000, I think iBook is much better value and quality then any PC laptop out there. I think OSX really make PC OS look bad. I paid $1400 for my used TiBook which still have 2 yrs AppleCare left and I was amazed how good the resale value is for this 1 yr old Tibook! But not for my Vaio for sure.
I was also amazed how expensive the PC notebooks are now a day or maybe Apple had priced well with there new notebooks. Used to be the other way around...

I can live with my TiBook when I out travel but I still can't live with out a PC due to my job function and needs.
TiBook 15" G4 1Ghz SuperDrive 60G 768Mb
Sony Vaio 14.1" P3 1Ghz ComboDrive 20G 512Mb
C32 AMG - V6SC 349hp/332lb-ft, 0-60mph 4.7sec

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2004, 01:14 PM

DL_AMG sign:
TiBook G4 1Ghz SuperDrive 60G 768Mb
Sony Vaio P3 1Ghz ComboDrive 20G 512Mb
C32 AMG - V6SC 349hp/332lb-ft, 0-60mph 4.7sec

two of them are excellent performers

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 5, 2004, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by an0therdumbsn:
If apple can some how get more game developers on their side, or a way to get eexsisting games to run on OSX then i would be willing to bet an almost double market share.
They're trying, but developers only see "relative" numbers. They think, "if Microsoft has 95% of the market, and Apple only has 3% of the market, why should I bother with Apple?" It doesn't matter that they have 40 million potential customers by selling a produt for Mac OS. They also don't take into consideration the sometimes fanatical support for products that ARE released for the Mac OS.

Then you have guys like Gabe Newell who hate Apple with a passion. He would never release Half-Life for the Macintosh even if God himself told him to do it. So you have to get past Microsoft fanboys who have positions of power in the gaming sector.

Finally, there's the problem with Microsoft themself. Microsoft likes to give away stuff for free (because they can afford it) to drive the competition out. Because of that, developers jump onto DirectX, DirectPlay, and Direct3D. Proprietary APIs that only work on Windows and, for the most part, can not be ported to any other platform directly. Thus tying games in to a Windows only environment.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

milhous
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2004, 12:34 AM

Apples! The Power To Be Your Best!

17 posts to go...
F = ma

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2004, 06:26 AM

since i made the switch, i've become a minor mac fanboy. i'm actually excited about an os update. I cant wait to use automator, spotlight .... dang ... when did i ever watch an entire bill gates keynote .. or even a partial one ... oh wait .. the only keynote by bill gates that i've seen is that one on the news with win 98 crashing on him during a convention or something ... that didnt turn out so great

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

BPS500
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2004, 06:03 PM

If all you need is the right button feature, all you have to do is hold CTRL and then click. No need to download Sidetrack for that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules