Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > battery indicator is acting weird

battery indicator is acting weird
beachmark
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2004, 12:50 AM

Okay since a few days my battry indicator on screen has gone crazy: I get times that are unrealistic and due to that at the most inconvenient times BigAl (17inch, 1ghz version, system 10.3.3) is going to sleep because the battery is apparently empty.

I get a percentage beattry level of between 85-99 per cent the whole time and if i ask to show me the time next to the battery icon it is only calculating.

What is going on and how can I resolve this as I working without an accurate indicator is a crime.

In advance thanks for your input.
g.r.e.e.t.i.n.g.s
mark ®
hanging out in san francisco - wellington - cape town (or in between)
Powerbook 17 inch MacOS 10.4.3Eng • Palm E2 • Motorola Razr • iPod Flash 1Gb • iPod mini 2nd-4Gb

ibook_steve
Mar 22, 2004, 02:43 PM

Try resetting the power manager (instructions in your manual or Mac help or many posts here) and recalibrate your battery (run on battery until machine goes to sleep, then charge it all the way back up.

Steve

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2004, 04:31 PM

Beside resetting PRAM and the PMU you might also have to reset nvram in Open Firmware.

Try this:

Take out the battery and unplug all cables from your computer (i.e. it should be all naked to be "reset)) and let it sit without any type of power for 15 minutes.

Boot up and hold down the keys cmd-option-O-F to get to the Open Firmware promt (after the start chime), then in Open Firmware type:

reset-nvram
reset-all

(the computer will reboot into OS X again).

Hopes this works together with resetting the PRAM and PMU!
/Petra

euphras
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2004, 03:09 PM

Quote:"and let it sit without any type of power for 15 minutes."

That step is not necessary or even usefull, there are still powered circuits in the machine, even when power plug and main battery is removed. A small "backup" battery powers the PMU, that�s also the reason you can swap the main battery while the book is "sleeping" (without attached power cord).

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

CyberPet
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2004, 03:54 PM

Pat, as far as I know that's the reason you should let it sit for 15 minutes... for the CMOS battery to run out of juice so you actually do reset it.
/Petra

Forum Links
Forum Rules