Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The very first OmniWeb TV appearance

The very first OmniWeb TV appearance
BigMac2
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2001, 12:25 AM

I know this have nothing to do with MacOSX or Apple, but last day I was about watching a very cool Anime series named Serial Experiments Lain, and I catch this:

Yes! this is OmniWeb and a bunch of other OpenStep icons. I don't know which version of Omniweb this is, but considering that series has been made in late 1997, this should be version 1 or 2

[ 09-11-2001: Message edited by: BigMac2 ]

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2001, 12:36 AM

Hey! That's AVS under there. The "field 3D scalar" thing. AVS is rather cool software.
http://www.avs.com/

BigMac2  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2001, 12:50 AM

Lain contain soo much geek stuff, it's hard to talk about everything in this series... Someone on the net has made a page to talk about some stuff referring to Apple. If you really like Anime you must see Lain

Relationship between Apple and Lain

BigMac2  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2001, 01:05 AM

Scott you're right about ASV.... as you can see the PATH on this picture 4 frames before.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2001, 01:35 AM

I've been coding AVS modules for years.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2001, 03:23 AM

Never mind all that - what's this NewsGrazer application ?? Could it be ressurected into a Mac OS X newsreader ?

posthumous
Sep 11, 2001, 04:30 AM

YES!!! I noticed that it was NeXT/OpenStep but did not notice OmniWeb. Cool find! I absolutely love this series. I have watched episodes 1-7 and I was so distraught when my friend told me he didn't have the remainder of the episodes. ARRRGH... I want to finish watching this soooo bad. Anyhow, I may eventually break down and buy the DVDs, but not until I buy a shiny new mac.

madra [again!]
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2001, 05:16 AM

hey. what's happened to norm? shouldn't he have posted about this being 'in the wrong forum' by now? i hope he's not poorly
the original madra - airbrushed out of history in a stalinist manner!

madrasite - crap, junk and drivel

itomato
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2001, 02:48 PM

Hmm.. That's a weird coupla screenshots.. Those are NeXT icons, alright, and you can tell that's OmniWeb 2 by the little '2' in the corner of the icon, but those windows! That looks like 4DWM (sgi) or CDE (Sun). Now OPENSTEP will run on Sun hardware, and there's even an implementation that will run on top of Solaris, but it uses the NeXT window manager.. Hmm..

Re: Newsgrazer, I don't think it's on it's way to OS X. However, the source for Alexandra is available, and you know what that means. It's similar to Newsgrazer. I prefer it, acutally. It's simpler, cleaner, and it works a little better for me.
-- | T () /\/\ /.\ T () --

BigMac2  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2001, 01:54 AM

Posthumous, you have miss the very best of Lain... the last DVD is the one of the most weird thing I ever see, even better than Neo Genesis evangelion. Most of all I have bought the Limited Lunch Box of lain with the 4 DVD and the original intro song single. A collection piece!

Close the World, Open the nExt

[ 09-12-2001: Message edited by: BigMac2 ]

sadie
Senior User
Sep 12, 2001, 09:01 PM

So... if, as an anime newbie, i were to ask whether it was worth the (noticable) amount of money that the complete Lain costs... particularly given that no network in britain seems like it'll ever show any decent anime... the answer would be Yes?
All words are lies. Including these ones.

BigMac2  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 12, 2001, 10:12 PM

Sadie: This is a very good series, and they only have 13 episodes on 4 DVD, it's not like Dragon Ball Z with over 200 episodes and 2 episodes per DVD. But I got to warn you, this is not a Action series, is a very slow and weird atmosphere. But if you have many geek friends you will never be tired to watch it again and again

sadie
Senior User
Sep 15, 2001, 06:12 AM

If i thought it was like Dragonball Z i wouldn't be interested
All words are lies. Including these ones.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Sep 15, 2001, 08:00 PM

Lain is a must see.
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2001, 04:51 AM

Damn. I was kinda hoping this would have been the first sighting of an OmniWeb commercial. It would be a bit strange to see TV advertising for a web browser, but I could see the folks at The Omni Group coming up with something pretty funny.

Forum Links
Forum Rules