Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Microsoft can't help but extort for X-Box

Microsoft can't help but extort for X-Box
jeffhot
Senior User
Sep 10, 2001, 09:29 AM

Ah, poor Microsoft. They just can't help themselves. Anit-competetive practices are just in their blood.
Now that the X-Box is available for pre-order, Microsoft is forcing anyone who orders one to also buy one Microsoft game, two third party games, and an extra controller.

"Oh, did you not want to spend another $200 on top of the $300 console? Too bad, we are Microsoft and we will tell YOU what to do!"

Good thing the Department of Justice is laying off them, they have obviously learned their lesson!

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2001, 10:03 AM

It just won't stop will it? Fooking M$

-Owl

iCartman
Senior User
Sep 10, 2001, 12:25 PM

Microsoft is forcing anyone who orders one to also buy one Microsoft game, two third party games, and an extra controller.
Sure they are; Go to any EB and plop down $10 to pre-order stand-alone XBox, same for KBKids, BestBuy, and Circuit City. Do you think it's possible that the cetain retailers might be pulling the same crap they did when the PS2 was available for pre-order? (nah, it couldn't be that retailers are greedy and want your money)
respect mah athoritah!

jeffhot  (op)
Senior User
Sep 10, 2001, 02:00 PM

Well I actually wrote this topic in response to an article on Wired.com that I meant to reference in the first part. It was at the top of their page today, so just go there to find it or I will try to make a link after I check it out again.

The article (and I) were only referring to online preorders, which I should have mentioned. Check this link out:
Wired News

[ 09-10-2001: Message edited by: jeffhot ]

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2001, 03:13 PM

I'm a first rate M$ basher but you lost me on this one. Don't like the X-Box? Go buy any of the other very popular game systems out there.

Demonhood
Administrator
Sep 10, 2001, 03:56 PM

i think the point is that you don't have a choice if you just want the xbox.

From the article:
Consumers must also buy at least three games, which are chosen by the retailer, not the customer, plus a spare controller, DVD remotes and other extras. One of the games must be a Microsoft title.

this raises the price from $299 to $499. that's not cool. i don't remember hearing sony doing anything similar for the PS2. the gamecube is coming out two weeks after this monstrosity and i'm pretty sure you'll be able to preorder just the main system and choose your own games/periphs.

jeffhot  (op)
Senior User
Sep 11, 2001, 11:41 AM

I am surprised at Nintendo for delaying their system until after MS launches X-Box. Not surprised at the delay, they always do that. But I wanted to see them go head to head. Nintendo will of course sell more.

Forum Links
Forum Rules