Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Leopard Mail: Notes, not the kind I would like…

Leopard Mail: Notes, not the kind I would like…
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2008, 07:00 AM

Anybody expected Leopard Mail notes to be something you could add to a given e-mail message so once you open it you read those thoughs about the given e-mail ??

Is there a way to do this?, to me it would be a hell better than hum, that is just a note I could send to a mate… I don't get it.

philm
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2008, 07:16 AM

MailTags does exactly this. Not sure if it works in Leopard.

index

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2008, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Anybody expected Leopard Mail notes to be something you could add to a given e-mail message so once you open it you read those thoughs about the given e-mail ??

Is there a way to do this?, to me it would be a hell better than hum, that is just a note I could send to a mate… I don't get it.
The problem with what you want to do is that something like that would only work in a particular version of Mail - it would be OS X Mail only.

With Apple's implementation of Notes, a note is just a regular email message with an x-header for Mail to know that it is a note. However, it is readable by other email clients, they simply ignore the x-header. Whenever the note is updated, the old email is deleted and a new one created in its place.

In order to do what you want, there would need to be an x-header to associate a note with a given email. What happens if you read the email in another email client and expect the note that was attached to be present?

The same problem sort of exists with the current implementation, but perhaps Apple anticipates that users using other clients will be able to track down their notes a little easier than having to search for an email, and then run a separate search to find the note that was attached to the email?

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 28, 2008, 04:37 PM

Thanks to both of you.

philm, it seems what MailTags calls "message notes" is all I want.

besson3c, your thoughts make sense, a good read… I guess-hope we could see something like this implemented sooner than later, kind of how you can do with .pdf files… albeit I don't know if that makes sense.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2008, 05:05 PM

I share angelmb's concerns about Notes, but like she said besson3c what you said makes sense and makes "notes' actually make sense to me.

However, I'm looking more for the type of notes implemented in Outlook. I'll look into mail tags though, maybe that's what I need.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2008, 05:16 PM

Really, this problem should probably be solved by extending upon the IMAP RFC to include support for message metadata such as associations with other messages. I mean, injecting your own x-headers into a message is standard practice and a part of the RFC, but there is no standard convention on the exact syntax of these headers. The same applies for spam tests and scores.

If there was a standard syntax, there would be pressure for various IMAP clients to support this in order to do stuff like what you are wishing for here. Until this happens, there is little incentive or good rationale for the various mail clients to start supporting each other's proprietary implementations. In many ways email is already a mess because of this sort of thing - mailbox formats being a good example of this.

Of course, with all of the standards in the world there is probably no way to get Microsoft to follow them, so perhaps this is all moot.

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2008, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Of course, with all of the standards in the world there is probably no way to get Microsoft to follow them, so perhaps this is all moot.
Cheers to that
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

Forum Links
Forum Rules