Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Weird Safari problem: picture links download ONLY

Weird Safari problem: picture links download ONLY
The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2004, 04:29 AM

Ok, I've been using Safari 1.1.1 for a while, and have had no real problems whatsoever.

Then today, suddenly, for no reason I can figure out, every time I click on a link that leads to a picture file, like this link, instead of opening a new window, or a new tab if I control-click it to do so, it opens a new window/tab that is blank and the picture downloads into my download folder.

This is obviously annoying.

Things I have done that didn't solve this problem:

Dragged links to the address bar.

Deleted the apple.com.Safari.plist

Checked to make sure that the Option button was not stuck.

Moused over any link to make sure that the status bar didn't say "download URL" instead of "open URL" (it said open)

Made sure that nothing in Universal Access was on.

Oh, and here's the big kicker...I tried deleting my Safari app and then downloaded a new .pkg of the installer from Apple's website to reinstall it. That was fine until I got this:

Pretty swell, hunh?

So I've transfered a older copy of Safari I had on my old B&W G3 to my 12" rev. B Powerbook running 10.3.2, which I'm using now.

This is baffling the hell out of me. How in Jobs' name do I fix this, and reinstall the latest Safari?

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 11, 2004, 06:39 AM

You can not download Safari 1.1. If you deleted it you need to restore it from the system CD using Pacifist, and since it has been updated since 10.3 you'd also have to run the 10.3.2 updater again (probably need to delete the receipt to be able to install it).

With regard to your original problem, try to delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.internetconfig.plist
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

The Jackalope  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2004, 12:27 PM

Here's an ultra fun extra part: my original Panther disks were accidently left in Japan when I left from a trip there and my friends still haven't mailed it back to me.

I used Pacifist to extract Safari 1.0 from that .pkg that I downloaded, but it still is an older version, so who knows what it will do in Panther.

I also just tried to delete the internetconfig.plist and the same problem is happening.

Forum Links
Forum Rules