Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New higher capacity batteries for the Al 15 Powerbooks

New higher capacity batteries for the Al 15 Powerbooks
agentmouthwash
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2004, 04:10 PM

Newer Tech is releasing new batteries!

65-Watt Hour and 71-Watt Hour batteries Li Ion.....
Apple�s stock battery is 50-Watt Hour

I wonder how much more battery time my powerbook will have.
Powerbook G4 1.25GHZ

nate_02
Senior User
Sep 1, 2004, 06:04 PM

is the battery physically any larger?
-nate

songoku912
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2004, 09:30 PM

Does anyone have a link for this?

IronMentality
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2004, 09:59 PM

Any new word on this? If I am going to buy an extra battery when I order my PB 15" 1.5 Ghz I sure would like a better one

agentmouthwash  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2004, 10:37 PM

Other Word Computing has them for sale:
http://eshop.macsales.com/
Powerbook G4 1.25GHZ

jonasmac
Senior User
Location: Guam - where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Sep 1, 2004, 11:03 PM

If there is no difference in size, style and shape -- I'm going to get one. Battery life on the 15" is just atrocious. I get less than 3 hours even with settings down for longest battery life.

agentmouthwash  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2004, 11:21 PM

It has to be the same size - how else is it going to fit inside the powerbook?
Powerbook G4 1.25GHZ

Synotic
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 11:31 PM

What's the difference between the 65 and 71 watt batteries? I'm guessing one holds more battery... but why wouldn't you pay ten dollars more? Does the PowerBook get exceptionally hot? Does anyone have any prior knowledge of if these things ever come down in price? My battery life is horrid.. like 1 hour 45 minutes... is Apple willing to replace my battery for free?

songoku912
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2004, 11:34 PM

Man, I might really pull the trigger on this in a couple of weeks. It would really be a killer upgrade. I still do not understand why Apple shipped the albooks with a lower capacity battery than the ti's, but at least we have an alternative now

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2004, 01:04 AM

Originally posted by jonasmac:
If there is no difference in size, style and shape -- I'm going to get one. Battery life on the 15" is just atrocious. I get less than 3 hours even with settings down for longest battery life.
My friend's Mobile Athlon XP 3200+ gets a whopping 45 minutes on normal settings, and just over 1 1/2 hours on minimum. Trust me, your laptop gets pretty damn good battery life.... but more is always good.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2004, 01:08 AM

Originally posted by jonasmac:

They look the same to me, even have LEDs. Whoa, be cool f those were blue instead of green. Blue is always cooler.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

songoku912
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2004, 11:12 PM

71 watt battery for $139? Next paycheck, it's a definite purchase.

trancepriest
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2004, 11:39 PM

What type of power duration are we looking at with these batteries?

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2004, 11:59 PM

are they planning on releasing higher capacity 17" batteries?
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

tavilach
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 01:29 AM

3 hours of battery life at maximum use, 4 at minimum use...this is great!

I mean, wow...wow...

I'm worried about damage to my PowerBook, though. Would this void the warranty? Can I trust NewerTech?

Edit: It says it's equivalent to an A1045 battery. Those were the ones that were recalled...

"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

IronMentality
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2004, 01:33 AM

(waiting for a super PB Expert to come along and address if these batteries are safe for purchase or not)

Person Man
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2004, 01:49 AM

Originally posted by tavilach:
3 hours of battery life at maximum use, 4 at minimum use...this is great!

I mean, wow...wow...

I'm worried about damage to my PowerBook, though. Would this void the warranty? Can I trust NewerTech?

Edit: It says it's equivalent to an A1045 battery. Those were the ones that were recalled...

No, it won't damage the powerbook or void the warranty.

The A1045 batteries that were recalled had faulty control circuitry. I doubt that these will have those problems.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2004, 01:49 AM

Originally posted by IronMentality:
(waiting for a super PB Expert to come along and address if these batteries are safe for purchase or not)
Yes they are safe for purchase. I've used them without problems.

Ryan1524
Senior User
Sep 3, 2004, 02:26 AM

tavilach, where did you get 3 hours max and 4 hours min?

and why only 4 hours at min use? i'd expect 5 or maybe up to 6 on min use. i mean it's 1.5 max vs 3 hours min on stock batteries after all - double time.
Ryan

tavilach
Mac Elite
Sep 3, 2004, 03:49 AM

Originally posted by Ryan1524:
tavilach, where did you get 3 hours max and 4 hours min?

and why only 4 hours at min use? i'd expect 5 or maybe up to 6 on min use. i mean it's 1.5 max vs 3 hours min on stock batteries after all - double time.
Well, I approximated, but think about it...

It's a 42% boost. I've experienced 2 hours max, which would mean 2.84 hours max on these...which is about 3 hours. 1.5 hours max would yield 2.13 hours, so I guess we can say that it'll be at least 2.25 hours max, probably around 2.5. That's a nice boost.

As for expected 5 or maybe 6...

Don't . It won't get that high. If you normally get 3, you'll get 4.26 with these...

Unless, of course, you plan on using both batteries (one after the other), which would give you 7.26 at min use!
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

songoku912
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2004, 01:09 AM

I am going to order the 71-watt next wed, for sure. It's a good deal, and anything would be an improvement. Does anyone know why Apple themselves don't offer a higher capacity battery for the albooks, or why the weak batteries in the first place?

AndrewP
Sep 4, 2004, 09:01 AM

I have a 71 watt on order and should receive it on Thursday. I'll report back actual runtimes (after calibration) and weight difference.

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2004, 07:58 PM

Also report on the heat
iamwhor3hay

IronMentality
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2004, 08:29 PM

Ok, it's clear these batteries are better than the one's Apple offer. Now, there is no heat issues with them? That's all I'd need reassurance (and others) to make for a hastely purchase

Ryan1524
Senior User
Sep 5, 2004, 01:43 AM

waiting for the reports too. i'm getting 3 hour on mine, but would Love to get even more.
Ryan

h00ligan
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2004, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by songoku912:
I am going to order the 71-watt next wed, for sure. It's a good deal, and anything would be an improvement. Does anyone know why Apple themselves don't offer a higher capacity battery for the albooks, or why the weak batteries in the first place?
weight and heat i would assume.
-= H00ligan =-

1.33 GHz 12" | 60 gig 7200 rpm drive | 1.25 Gigs of ram
amd 64 3000+ eMachines m6805 (arima lappy) | 60 gig | 512 megs | almost 3400 3dMark03 and it was only $1250 :)

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2004, 11:27 PM

When the first 15 inch AlBook came out, it was using the highest capacity cells, at least according to the third party companies who make the batteries like this. I'm sure now that we are over a year past that, a new jump has occured in batteries again. Expect Apple to increase the battery capacity again when the next 15 inch comes out, if it's the same battery still. The 15 inch TiBook jumped a few times over its life span.
<This space under renovation>

BenN
Sep 5, 2004, 11:55 PM

I would be interested in one of these as well, but I`ve already got two of the Apple batteries; kind of hard to justify a third!
PowerBook G4, 1.25GHz, 1GB, 5400rpm 80GB HDD
PowerMac G4 Cube, 450MHz, 512MB, 7200rpm 120GB HDD, GigaDesigns Blue LED 80mm fan
AirMac Extreme network, connected to my FTTH (100Mb/s) phat pipe 8)

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2004, 04:02 PM

does it work for 12inchers? I am already getting around four something on low use, sometimes more. i would like to haev that boosted to six .. hahaha

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2004, 11:55 PM

Wow, the only complaint (and I'll admit not a huge one) about my powerbook is it's batt life. If I can squeak 3.5+ hrs with normal usage (surfing, typing, etc...) out of this sucker I'll be very happy. I ordered mine tonight and got the (somehow reduced) 2 day UPS shipping. Should be here by the friday/sat? If this works like they say I'll be more than pleased!

Also stupid question about the 15" in general. There isn't hot batt swapping is there? I know some tablet PC's have this feature that allows you to swap out for a fresh batt while in standby mode. Is this possible on the powerbook, or is this a feature I'll have to wait for in the future?
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2004, 12:24 AM

I think you can swap batteries while it is sleeping
iamwhor3hay

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2004, 02:25 AM

Thanks MrForgetable, a quick google search confirmed that you do indeed have aprox 1min to swap batts on 15" and 17" powerbooks while in sleep mode. Well I'm glad apple thought of this, as it makes me even happier that I bought this great machine. I can honestly say now that with both batteries I'll have now and hot swapping ability there's not a bad thing I can say about this machine!
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T

songoku912
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2004, 10:18 PM

Is it just me or the 71 watt battery has been replaced with a 53.3 watt battery?

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2004, 10:45 PM

Is it just me or the 71 watt battery has been replaced with a 53.3 watt battery?
oh.. it's true. what the heck?!?!
a place in the ad still shows "54% increase in battery life" but the rest now say 11% increase.

iamwhor3hay

songoku912
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2004, 10:53 PM

Did anyone happen to order the 71 watt before it was taken down? Today was payday too, just my luck lol. Now I am hesitant to pull the trigger, $140 for a 71 watt is a great deal, not so sure about $140 for a 53 watt.

Ryan1524
Senior User
Sep 7, 2004, 11:33 PM

i see it too, what happened? unsafe operation? overheating? no-stock?
Ryan

8minute
Sep 8, 2004, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by wuzup101:
Thanks MrForgetable, a quick google search confirmed that you do indeed have aprox 1min to swap batts on 15" and 17" powerbooks while in sleep mode. Well I'm glad apple thought of this, as it makes me even happier that I bought this great machine. I can honestly say now that with both batteries I'll have now and hot swapping ability there's not a bad thing I can say about this machine!
Doh! Does anyone know why you can't hot swap batteries on the 12" PB?

| 12"Al.PB:1.33GHz:1.25GB:100GB:SD |

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2004, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by 8minute:
Doh! Does anyone know why you can't hot swap batteries on the 12" PB?
too small for the charge to stay inside? a gift for 15 and 17 inch users for spending so much?
iamwhor3hay

darkhawk64
Sep 8, 2004, 01:33 AM

Hey all-
The reason that you can sleep swap batteries in the 15/17" PowerBooks is that those models have clock batteries. The 12" PBs don't. That's why you have to put the machines to sleep rather than leave them on and take the battery off. That'll shut down the machine. Hope this helps.
jared

BTW, if anyone knows why those batteries are taken down, please post a reply (maybe OWCLarry is trolling around here and would like to comment...)
"You don't cuddle up to Max Power. You just strap yourself on and feel the Gs."
-Homer Simpson from "The Simpsons"

Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2004, 01:46 AM

Yes there is a small battery inside the 15" and 17" notebooks that can sustain the notebook in sleep for ~3 mins (according to apple's website) so you can swap batteries.

It is rechargeable as well (so this process can be done over and over again), and I think it is a different battery from the small button battery that keeps the clock time (which the 12" probably has as well).

The reason it is not in the 12"? Two reasons- 1) maybe there is no room to fit it inside the smaller 12" casing, or 2) they wanted to keep costs down so they elected not to include it.

Ruahrc

PS- I emailed OWT to ask about the change in capacity- hopefully I will recieve a reply soon and I will let you all know what they said.

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2004, 02:32 PM

The fact that you couldn't hot-swap the battery in the 12" AlPB seemed to indicate to many people that it was more of a "super-iBook" than a PowerBook (along with lacking fw-800, lower quality LCD, lacking gigabit ethernet.)

The current 15" ALPB ships with a 50 watt-hour battery, Apple price $129. The 2 batteries that OWC lists are a 48 watt-hour for $129 and a 53.3 watt-hour for $139. Why would any company put out a lower capacity replacement battery for the same price as the manufacturer battery? Which leaves the 2nd one for $10 more, and a 3.3 watt-hour difference isn't 11%, much less a 54% improvement.

More to the point, why doesn't the Newer Technology website even list these batteries? No mention of any batteries for the AlPB.

Ruahrc
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2004, 03:14 PM

Recieved a reply from OWT today:

The information that we received from our supplier must have been inacurate. The updated information is currently on our site. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,

Chris Roberts
Corporate Account Manager
Other World Computing, Inc.
A division of New Concepts Development Corporation
1004 Courtaulds Drive
Woodstock, Illinois 60098
Sales line (800) 275-4576 x 159
Direct line 815-333-5059
Fax (815) 338-4332

Visit us on the Web at: http://macsales.com//
Too bad. I was really happy to hear that a 71Wh battery was an option too!

Ruahrc
( Last edited by Ruahrc; Sep 8, 2004 at 03:23 PM. )

songoku912
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2004, 10:10 PM

I don't think I will be ordering then, I don't think the 53 watt battery will be a huge jump from the stock 51 the albooks currently ship with. I wish even the 61 watt was an option now.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2004, 10:50 PM

I checked my order status for the 71wh battery I ordered and it has indeed been processed. It says that I'll be getting the 71wh battery that I ordered so I'll keep my fingers crossed!

8minute
Sep 8, 2004, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by amazing:
The fact that you couldn't hot-swap the battery in the 12" AlPB seemed to indicate to many people that it was more of a "super-iBook" than a PowerBook (along with lacking fw-800, lower quality LCD, lacking gigabit ethernet.)

Yeah it does seem that way doesn't it? (you can also add no DVI out on Rev A, no backlit kb, PC card slot ... yeah I know, space is at a premium on the 12") ... but I still love my 12" nonetheless!
( Last edited by 8minute; Sep 9, 2004 at 03:06 AM. )

| 12"Al.PB:1.33GHz:1.25GB:100GB:SD |

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2004, 11:00 PM

I could see not having the backlit keyboard (though I love mine and I think the 12" should get one) and the PC card slot as that does take up a decent amount of room. I personally don't understand the lack of gigbit ethernet though... and one would think that a machine which is like the flagship of portability and power would have a hot swap battery... especially because we know that apple has the means to do it!

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2004, 12:43 PM

Ok, I have a TiPB 400 almost 4 years old whose battery life was getting very limited overtime (lately, rarely more than 25 minutes).

Yesterday, I bought a new one because I couldn't be mobile anymore. The new one gives me more than 4 h at maximum power settings.

It seems longer than when I originally bought it. Is the battery different?

Anyhow, these are good news I can enjoy the sunshine while working again
-original iMac, TiPB 400, Cube, Macbook (black), iMac 24¨, plus the original iPod and a black nano 4GB-

anly
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2004, 06:54 PM

What's up with that?
Past Love:
Apple II, Mac SI, PB Duo, Pismo, iMac G4, Digital Audio
iMac Rev.A 256MB OSX10.3
PB 17" Rev. C 1.5Ghz
Current:
MacBook 2.0Ghz 10.5.2
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz 17" 10.5.2

songoku912
Forum Regular
Sep 15, 2004, 10:36 PM

For those that did order & received their battery, whats the verdict on the slight capacity increased? I went ahead and ordered one myself, priced for the same as the stock 15 battery from apple, should have it friday.

agentmouthwash  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 17, 2004, 02:17 PM

ya know what?
i did get an increase. Now my Powerbook gets close to 3 hours
as oppose to the 2 I used to get. I'm not saying
everybody will get a 30% increase, but It seems to be that
way for me. My original battery was horrible
since day one.
Powerbook G4 1.25GHZ

Forum Links
Forum Rules