Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Doom3 for Linux is out, Mac version hopefully not far behind?

Doom3 for Linux is out, Mac version hopefully not far behind?
powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 5, 2004, 10:27 AM

Here's the link to the news along w/ lower hardware requirements for the Linux installation. Might be good news for us if the hardware requirements are lower for Linux....

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18901
Joe

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2004, 01:02 PM

why does this mean the mac version is not far behind?

Dennis the Phantom Menace
Forum Regular
Oct 5, 2004, 02:49 PM

I hope so, but I'm not holding my breath.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 5, 2004, 03:49 PM

Linux binaries built for the x86 platform is nothing near an indicative that the Mac OS X port is close to be ready.

Vash
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2004, 04:19 PM

It is when id says they are doing the linux stuff, pc demo, and finally the mac port last. One step closer.
Revenge is a meal best served cold.

Turias
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2004, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by eevyl:
Linux binaries built for the x86 platform is nothing near an indicative that the Mac OS X port is close to be ready.
Was Doom3 for the PC heavily dependent on DirectX? If so, it at least says that they have gotten past that hurdle.

powerbook867  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 5, 2004, 04:23 PM

what vash said. I'm just stating progress is being made and that the system requirements are lower for the Linux version. I'm hopeful w/o the underpinnings of XP that more of us can enjoy a great game.....

I didn't say anything about a time frame.
Joe

Buck_Naked
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 5, 2004, 07:33 PM

It will be released as a combo pack with Duke Nukem Forever.

BurpetheadX
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 5, 2004, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
Was Doom3 for the PC heavily dependent on DirectX? If so, it at least says that they have gotten past that hurdle.
Nah, Doom 3 used OpenGL in Windows. It also used the processor for the sound system, not the sound card.
www.marcushesse.com

UNC-Charlotte Apple Campus Rep.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2004, 04:02 AM

Originally posted by Vash:
It is when id says they are doing the linux stuff, pc demo, and finally the mac port last. One step closer.
Well that is a valid point, indeed

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2004, 06:21 AM

Originally posted by Turias:
They used DirectX for the sounds or somthing

JSD303
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2004, 09:49 AM

I'm playing the Linux version on my AMD64 SuSE 9.1 Pro box... It works very well, minus surround sound. Other than sound, it plays almost exactly the same on the same box running XP or Linux. I read that Doom 3 used OpenGL for the game, but DirectX for sound (in Winblows).

I hope the Mac version (which will be sold, unlike the Linux version) will be feature complete - including surround sound. I'll wait for the final Mac version and support idsoftware for making it by purchasing a second copy of the game. I want to make sure the big boys keep making games for us!

Cheers to idsoftware for all of their hard work!

himself
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 02:16 AM

I played the windows demo... that sh!t is too scary for me. If I've grown some balls by the time it comes out for the mac (and if I own hardware that supports it by then), I may get it...

"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2004, 05:20 AM

I've got a feeling it's a long way off yet. Probably 6 months or more, I'm sure id wasn't very happy with Apple's decision to use the Ultra on the iMac. We can only hope since most of it is Open GL it makes for a clean port, knowing id it should be highly optimized. Last time I checked, they are looking for a publisher as well.

Minch_Yoda
Oct 8, 2004, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by the_glassman:
I'm sure id wasn't very happy with Apple's decision to use the Ultra on the iMac. We can only hope since most of it is Open GL it makes for a clean port, knowing id it should be highly optimized. Last time I checked, they are looking for a publisher as well.
i think your right about the imac
if the imac had a decent card in it then there would be a lot more demand for the game because there are lots more games in imac range than powermac g5 range thus it might have been quicker
but i dont agree on you saying "hope since most of it is Open GL it makes for a clean port" last time i checked the mac version wasn't a port it was being developed simultaneously with the pc/linux version until the main Dev left
which is good because making the game makes it better and less buggy than a port but bad because the main dev left and now the games slowed to a crawl and nothing with the linux or windows version will help the mac version unless the decided to port it or something

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2004, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by Peter:
They used DirectX for the sounds or somthing
More specifically, they used the Sound component of DirectX (DirectSound) for the sound. The good news is they use OpenGL instead of Direct3D.

P
Oct 10, 2004, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by Minch_Yoda:
i think your right about the imac
if the imac had a decent card in it then there would be a lot more demand for the game because there are lots more games in imac range than powermac g5 range thus it might have been quicker
But the iMac G5 will run Doom 3 - tests of Doom 3 on the PC shows this. Not well, but only a 6800 or X800 can really be said to run it well. Since the iMac sells so well, I think we can bet that Doom 3 will have a mode that shows it off to its advantage and still run acceptably and an installer that will set up the game in that mode by default.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2004, 12:08 AM

Originally posted by P:
But the iMac G5 will run Doom 3 - tests of Doom 3 on the PC shows this.
PC tests show Doom 3 running on iMac G5s? Cool! Must be one uber emulator.

Dennis the Phantom Menace
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2004, 03:37 PM

Has anybody heard any news regarding Doom 3 for OS X?

Minch_Yoda
Oct 20, 2004, 06:59 PM

well according to compusmart it will arrive in 58 days 2/17/2004 and they haven't been wrong yet
and apparently aspyrs taking over the development sense the lead dev left from the mac version

Hydra
Senior User
Oct 20, 2004, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by Minch_Yoda:
well according to compusmart it will arrive in 58 days 2/17/2004 and they haven't been wrong yet
and apparently aspyrs taking over the development sense the lead dev left from the mac version
Did you mean 12/17/2004? Because I know I haven't been playing Doom 3 on my Mac since Feb.

-Jerry C.

Forum Links
Forum Rules