Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Which iBook should I get?

Which iBook should I get?
aaronz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 9, 2005, 08:32 PM

If you had a choice between these two identically-priced iBooks, which one would you choose? I'm not terribly concerned about HD space; if I need more, I'll buy an external. I'm about 90% convinced to get the 12" at this point, but I'm a little concerned about the screen size, although I've heard nothing but good things from people with the 12". All advice welcome, especially if you own one of these models.

Option 1
iBook G4 1Ghz, 14-inch display, 1024x768 resolution, 256mb DDR266 SDRAM, 40GB HD, DVD-CDRW Combo drive, ATI Radeon 9200 w/32mb DDR Video Ram

Option 2
iBook G4 1.2Ghz, 12-inch display, 1024x768 resolution, 256MB PC 2100 DDR SDRAM, 30GB ATA 100 HD, DVD-CDRW Combo Drive, ATI Radeon 9200 w/32mb DDR video ram, Airport Extreme

Thanks.
-Aaron

pat++
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2005, 08:46 PM

Get the 12 inch. It's going to be faster, more portable, and lighter. The 12-inch rules. The 14" is bulky, heavier and has the same screen resolution as the 12 inch. And you have airport extreme built-in on the 12 inch.

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2005, 08:43 PM

i've got the 12 and it's fantastic - best computer i've ever used. the larger ibook would be great if you needed the superdrive but couldn't afford a powerbook 12 or had poor eyesight so needed a few more inches. other than that, the 12 is the one to go for i reckon.

sminch

MacAtak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2005, 01:56 AM

I've got the 14 inch. I like it a lot, but if your looking for portability I'd get the 12 inch w/ the airport extreme and plus you can always use the screen spanning hack and hook it up to a 20 inch monitor

Though after having had my iBook for a while I wish I would have gotten the 12inch power book instead. Oh, well...I guess I'll wait until the G5s come out and see how the ol' bank accounts doin.

Thus, creating the most ginormous can of whoop ass the world as ever seen.

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Apr 11, 2005, 09:14 AM

I am 40 and I have no problems with the 12 inch screen in my powerbook. Before I bought it screensize was my main concern. Now I must say the screen is great.

From the specs I would recommend the 12 inch. The 14 inch iBook is a little too clumsy.

Buck_Naked
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2005, 12:47 AM

Get the 12" iBook. It is a sweet machine

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2005, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by MacAtak
I've got the 14 inch. I like it a lot, but if your looking for portability I'd get the 12 inch w/ the airport extreme and plus you can always use the screen spanning hack and hook it up to a 20 inch monitor

Though after having had my iBook for a while I wish I would have gotten the 12inch power book instead. Oh, well...I guess I'll wait until the G5s come out and see how the ol' bank accounts doin.

i love my 12" iBook but like you i wish i would have gotten a powerbook - but the 15" powerbook. i really screwed myself too because i told my wife i wouldnt get a new mac until they came out with G5 iBooks thats going to be awhile

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

aafuss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2005, 12:54 PM

Go for the 12" iBook-if you need the SuperDrive, you might wish to buy the 14".
Invader Zim
"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubberpants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!"

A.A.'s Mac-Mac mini Core Solo 1.5GHz, 512MB, 60GB SATA HDD, Combo Drive, OS X 10.4.5, iWork '06, iLife '06, Logic Express 7. Mouse-Logitech G7, Keyboard-MS Digital Media Keyboar
Fifth Generation iPod (30GB)-White

Zap2
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2005, 01:08 PM

12 in is fasteer, new, less weight,the screen in the minus in you want big screen,i like the smaller one because th ibook is easier to carru
17''iMac g5 1.8ghz 1gb ram REV A
iPod 1st gen mini Gold
iPod shuffle 1 gb

30gb Photo, need $$100 more

Chimpmaster
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2005, 08:38 PM

I personally find the 12" screen too small @ 1024*768 - its beautiful but a little harsh on the eyes.

Id go the 14" personally, or look at powerbooks.
MacBook Alu, 13", 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256MB video
G5 Imac, 17", 1.9Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB video, built in isight, airport and bluetooth
Indigo iBook, 366mhz; 320MB RAM; CD; FW; Airport

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2005, 12:11 AM

12 big time.

Forum Links
Forum Rules