Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple to PC users: If you want iTunes to work, wait to get Vista

Apple to PC users: If you want iTunes to work, wait to get Vista
HackManDan
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2007, 12:16 AM

flyordiedays
Feb 3, 2007, 02:28 AM

Microsoft's own Zune software for its rival music players was incompatible with the operating system when it launched in November.
This amused me.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2007, 02:30 AM

So, Vista users are pretty much screwed when it comes to portable music players. No iPods, no Zunes... well, maybe the "No Zunes" things is an advantage...

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

quiklee
Senior User
Feb 3, 2007, 02:52 AM

i love how jobs messes with gates so bad . . . gates is about to break and destroy the whole world to get at jobs!
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

zro
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2007, 03:16 AM

So... iTunes doesn't work now, but if I get Vista it will? Nice headline.

No big surprise. I bet the current version of iTunes is incompatible with 10.5, too.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2007, 05:24 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if the current version of iTunes works on 10.5... The 10.3 version worked on 10.4...

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 3, 2007, 06:33 PM

Does the Zune work with Vista now? If not, then HA!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2007, 06:56 PM

Gee, there's a shock... if Office did not work on 10.5, there would be huge outcrys... I hope Apple gets this taken care of soon - it looks really bad and petty on their part.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2007, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
So, Vista users are pretty much screwed when it comes to portable music players. No iPods, no Zunes... well, maybe the "No Zunes" things is an advantage...
Screwed ... by Apple

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2007, 07:02 PM

iTunes does work with Vista, but it does not work 100%. It did corrupt my schools' 4G photo and wouldn't play ( even when authorized) iTunes Store songs.

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2007, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by TailsToo View Post
Gee, there's a shock... if Office did not work on 10.5, there would be huge outcrys... I hope Apple gets this taken care of soon - it looks really bad and petty on their part.
Because it doesn't work with Vista? Big deal, 7.1 will be out soon when the Apple TV ships and that will address the issue. Besides, I don't see general consumers scrambling to get Vista anytime soon so Apple is in no hurry.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2007, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Philip J. Fry View Post
Because it doesn't work with Vista? Big deal, 7.1 will be out soon when the Apple TV ships and that will address the issue. Besides, I don't see general consumers scrambling to get Vista anytime soon so Apple is in no hurry.
Have you looked?

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2007, 09:43 PM

No iTunes? Then I'll go get it right away! I hate iTunes and the crappy fact that it comes bundled with quicktime. I looked in my running program list the other day and iTunes had THREE freakin processes running in the background even though it had never even been used since starting my computer. Yeah yeah, I know a lot of you love it because apple made it, but I don't think it's all that. I don't use the store, so all I want is a music player/organizer, not a music player/organizer and the kitchen sink.

Anyway, they have known Vista was coming for the past few years, so not having it ready for those that want to use it is just retarded.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 3, 2007, 11:11 PM

torsokid, take iTuneshelper off of your login items.

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2007, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Have you looked?
Um, yes. I said GENERAL consumers, not the geeks and gamers that want the latest and greatest.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2007, 12:51 AM

Um, yes. I said GENERAL consumers, not the geeks and gamers that want the latest and greatest.
And, who do you think scrambles to get the latest and greatest from Apple? Certainly not GENERAL consumers

zro
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2007, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
No iTunes? Then I'll go get it right away! I hate iTunes and the crappy fact that it comes bundled with quicktime. I looked in my running program list the other day and iTunes had THREE freakin processes running in the background even though it had never even been used since starting my computer. Yeah yeah, I know a lot of you love it because apple made it, but I don't think it's all that. I don't use the store, so all I want is a music player/organizer, not a music player/organizer and the kitchen sink.

Anyway, they have known Vista was coming for the past few years, so not having it ready for those that want to use it is just retarded.
Apple - QuickTime - Download
Check the radio button that doesn't say "with iTunes" after the version info. Hint: It's the second radio button.

Last time I tried to use iTunes to hold the dishes while I washed them it didn't work so well. You sure it includes a kitchen sink?

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2007, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
And, who do you think scrambles to get the latest and greatest from Apple? Certainly not GENERAL consumers
Your point?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2007, 11:18 AM

Your point?
General consumers matter, but it's the early adopters and faithful that upgrade first. And, who do you think the general consumers get their information from? To say that Apple can take it's time preparing it's third party apps for the latest OS's simply because the general consumers aren't clamoring for it is to say that Apple isn't concerned about their Windows-using iPod customers.

If Apple wants to treat it's Windows-using iPod customers as second-rate citizens, then I guess they aren't all that concerned about the majority of their iPod sales.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2007, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy
No iTunes? Then I'll go get it right away! I hate iTunes and the crappy fact that it comes bundled with quicktime.
You don't have to get iTunes if all you want is QuickTime.

Originally Posted by torsoboy
I agree.

Originally Posted by Wisedjak
General consumers matter, but it's the early adopters and faithful that upgrade first.
General consumers are buying new Dells in February too. Guess what OS they ship with? I'll give you a hint: It's not XP.

It's even worse with Apple. At least with Dell you can get the machine with an older OS if you specifically request it. (It's a pain though since it's not an option on the website for many machines.) With Apple, you're stuck, because an older version of the OS won't even run on the new machine.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2007, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
It's even worse with Apple. At least with Dell you can get the machine with an older OS if you specifically request it. (It's a pain though since it's not an option on the website for many machines.) With Apple, you're stuck, because an older version of the OS won't even run on the new machine.
That is one thing I really don't like, and it makes it difficult for companies making bootable CDs for disk repair and such. If it runs 10.3, then there is a limit to what machines use it, and often the line is drawn in the middle of a revision, so you have to know what month your computer was made in to know if the CD will work or not.

Feb 4, 2007, 03:56 PM

There is always eBay for something older.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2007, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by torsoboy View Post
Indeed. Microsoft not being able to make their own IN-HOUSE music player work on time with an OS that they themselves have had under development for YEARS has got to be the most plain retarded thing ever.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 4, 2007, 06:29 PM

I'm sure Apple did this partly on purpose. Great thing to announce right when it launches.

Apple could have easily had an iTunes update ready in time if they wanted.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2007, 06:46 PM

Considering that not even Microsoft managed to get their own player working, how likely is it that any third-party could have?

Jeez people - a major system update broke a piece of software!

Whoop-de-doo.

Now masturbate and go back to bed.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2007, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Now masturbate and go back to bed.
In that order?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 4, 2007, 07:02 PM

Whatever floats your boat, as it were.