Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook dvd problem need help

ibook dvd problem need help
kiwi/pom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 7, 2001, 07:15 AM

im in new zealand and have just got ibook 128 combo love this thing so much am new to mac.everything going well but having problems with dvd.In new zealand our dvds are zone 4.although zone 1 are also easy to come by.
out of 5 dvds that i have had to play on ibook only 2 have worked.
the others that dont work try to load image is seen on menu screen but broken and black line appear but will not play.
i have connected apple support 3 times been told to load dvd version
2.7 remove dvd pref from pref file.
but still not working.

the dvds that have worked all run beautifully,
the matrix and saving grace.
the dvds that dont work are gladiator, snatch, billy elliot.
please help.

MUGlover
Aug 7, 2001, 01:48 PM

If Apple Tech Support told you to upgrade your extensions, would you do it?

Yeah, I probably would too As long as it didn't void the warranty.

I'm writing because they told you to upgrade to 2.7. Not only did it not solve your problem, but if you read the Read Me for that update on the TIL pages of Apple, you will not see it recommended for a tray-loading DVD player such as you (we) have in the iBook. Though Software Update control panel may entice you to upgrade, I have not, and I think my Combo drive iBook has (almost) only the factory set of extensions. No problem playing DVDs. I don't think the region matters. Apple expects you to settle into DVDs from one region, and you are allowed to play DVDs from another region five times. Only a problem if you travel, and there are shareware solutions for that.

Keep looking for solutions (turn off Virtual Memory) and consider returning to your original DVD extensions. -Jim

GreenMnM
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2001, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by MUGlover:
<STRONG>...if you read the Read Me for that update on the TIL pages of Apple, you will not see it recommended for a tray-loading DVD player such as you (we) have in the iBook.</STRONG>
Uhm, where does it say it's not recommended? The dual USB iBook is clearly within the hardware specs for DVD Player 2.7 (Read Me). In fact, it has been working flawlessly in my iBook since the day I got it.

I would give the DVD Player application more memory (get info on the application when it's not running and choose "Memory" and make it four times the recommended amount). Use a "Mac OS 9.1 All" set of extensions and turn off AppleTalk and Virtual Memory. I can play Gladiator (Region 1) in my iBook, but I don't have a Combo model and I'm running the North American English version.

-Doug

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: GreenMnM ]

MUGlover
Aug 8, 2001, 10:18 AM

Doug, I appreciate your courtesy in correcting me. I'm very glad the 2.7 player works in your iBook.

I did not say you will see it is not recommended. Sorry for the logic exercise and I am just trying to explain. I said you will not see a recommendation for this upgrade on an iBook. Your link (thanks) does say:

&lt;The Apple DVD Player is a full-featured, software only DVD player for Mac OS 9.1 and later. This version adds unified support for all Macintosh G3 and G4 models that shipped with AGP graphic display cards, including support for both the ATI and Nvidia graphics cards.&gt;

I'm just saying if it is not addressing an issue I have (and kiwi/pom described), I will not automatically load it in. It's good to know if it unavoidably gets installed I won't have to yank it out.

I already had AppleTalk turned off but that is a good one and I always enjoy your advice. -Jim

kiwi/pom  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2001, 07:07 PM

thanks guys a fixed up now another guy at apple sussport came up with yhe answer of setting extension manger to all when running dvd and to my seetings for normal running seems a program i load was effecting dvd running thanks for u help and it seems running 2.7 is fine on ibook ta steve

MUGlover
Aug 11, 2001, 02:48 PM

Glad you got help kiwi/pom. Now, I need to correct myself.

My son, the DVD expert, has returned from a three-week class. During study breaks the iBook played DVDs very well, BUT

with Virtual Memory Off he got the clicking sounds noted in other threads,
with Virtual Memory On all was well (on a 256 MB iBook with the combo drive).

Good to have an expert in the family. Sorry for any confusion. -Jim

Forum Links
Forum Rules