Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > AppleCare for 2001 iBook?

AppleCare for 2001 iBook?
sfhipster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 6, 2002, 09:25 PM

What does everyone think? I bought mine in 5/2001, and the standard warranty is just about up. It's been quite a notebook so far. Like, insanely great.

Should I go for it? Seems a bit steep, but I can't decide.

How are everyone's color iBooks holding up?

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
May 7, 2002, 12:15 AM

If you have the money, go for it. Laptops are more prone to breaking than desktop systems (dropping, carrying in a bag, etc).

I believe www.smalldog.com had iBook AppleCare protection plans for $200 (they're normally $250). You might want to check there and see if they still have that price.

[ 05-07-2002: Message edited by: SupahCoolX ]

Red Wolf
Forum Regular
May 7, 2002, 10:35 AM

Be aware that AppleCare will NOT cover dropping or bag damage. It will cover parts/labor shoud the iBook simply die on it's own but if you drop it or slam it or something you are out of luck with AppleCare.
iBook G4/800 | 640MB | 60GB | AirPort Extreme | Bluetooth | Mac OS X 10.3.6
Sony Ericsson T610 | AirPort Express | Bluetake BT500

ed phelan
May 7, 2002, 10:57 AM

Late 2001 iBook 600 here. As for Apple Care: I got it. I used it. I'm glad.
All the best.
E

MUGlover
May 7, 2002, 01:14 PM

We got it just before the iBook's first anniversary (of the order date, not the shipping date, for those who waited). The Apple Store had a slightly reduced education price, because my wife (a teacher) bought the computer. So I have the peace of mind of two more years of coverage, which will get my son through the first year of college. As noted above, not all mishaps are covered.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
May 7, 2002, 04:46 PM

Thanks for the heads-up on the dropping.

Either way, you'll be glad you have it if something ever happens.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
May 7, 2002, 06:28 PM

I was thinking of getting the AppleCare, but then I remembered that it only covered two years, at $125 a year.

How much will the iBook I'm typing this on now be worth in two years? Less than $1000, I'm sure. $250 is a good chunk of that. It might be put to better use to buy a new computer in two years' time.

the only thing that's making me want to get it is the fact that I've already had one yo-yo adaptor go bad on me, and Apple replaced it with another yo-yo. The AppleCare might be handy to have for when this yo-yo bites it. Then again, I can always buy a new adaptor for less than $100....

Decisions, decisions!

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

james_squared
May 8, 2002, 07:21 PM

Hello,

Don't forget that the Apple Care extends the rather short 90-day telephone support to a full 3 years. After the 90 days are up, each call does cost a fair bit. So if you've made calls before, you should think about this plan.

I also think that the Apple Care plan may allow you to replace a battery if (when) your battery begins to stop holding a full 5-hour charge. Although, I'm not too sure about this.

Lastly, the Apple Care does not cover you for "damage due to accidents, abuse, neglect, misuse,..., unusual physical or electrical stress,..." Therefore, normal wear-and-tear may be considered when something goes wrong with your ibook, as portable computers will be forced to suffer more simply because of their normal day-to-day uses.

You'd have to find out about other users' good and bad experiences with the plan.

Good luck with your decision.

James

sfhipster  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2002, 09:19 PM

Thanks everybody. I have a tough decision; I use my iBook every single day, and it shows it. The Trackpad is shiny in one place, and slower - the keys aren't as tight, and shiny as well (even after cleaning). I've dropped it (3 times - twice it fell off the bed while open and once my gf dropped it on hdwd floor - still fine) and I stuff it in my bike bag roughly all the time. I can see that perhaps one day needing to replace the trackpad, and or the keyboard. Hmmm. Smalldog does have them for $209. by the way.

Thanks again,

Alan

NDBounce
Senior User
May 11, 2002, 12:44 AM

Try looking in to insurance. Sometimes that is a better deal than AppleCare.

I use one plan that cost me around $75 per year. But in addition to having ordinary stuff covered, I am covered for theft, and for accidents I once spilled water on my keyboard and had to have that replaced. It cost me a small deductible, but I don't think (I could be wrong) that AppleCare would have covered my carelessness.

Forum Links
Forum Rules