Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > must-have add-ons for new iBook owner

must-have add-ons for new iBook owner
Zoom
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2001, 12:54 PM

I was about to post this in the "peripherals" forum, but I think it's more generic than that. This is the only place that made sense.

Just ordered a new iBook (600/DVD/AirPort) and it's my first laptop ever. So, I'm looking for some input on the best peripheral devices to have - both in terms of quality and usefulness. To make it more fun, I thought we'd try it as a "top ten" list, but feel free to go free-format.

I'm considering the following:
- mini wheel mouse
- AV adapter (for presentations)
- carry case
- keyboard cover (is this needed?)
- locking cable
- port cover?
- portable USB hub?
- surge protector for modem?
- retractable phone cord (does it come with one?)
- how about software??
- how about gadgets, toys, cool stuff??

I'm not sure I can use(let alone afford) all this - that's part of the reason I'm asking.

BTW, I've already order more RAM. I assume that the Number 1 add-on that is a must-have. It's already done.

The first question you're likely to ask is: how do you plan to use your iBook? The answer is: I don't know. I've never had a laptop and I'll bet that my use will depend a lot on what it can do for me. I'm a software developer and I'm hoping to use it for work and play. But I'd like to get this thread generic and cover a broad audience.

As a side note, MacAddict's current issue has an article on this subject, and I'm taking that into consideration. But I wanted more opinions.

[ 10-17-2001: Message edited by: Zoom ]
Late 2012 27" iMac 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 24GB RAM, 3TB Fusion drive

doctre
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2001, 02:00 PM

A keyboard protector is a good add-on. I used to have a PBG4 and the screen was constantly in need of cleaning from the oil and what not from the keyboard. I've just recently ordered my new iBook (yesterday) and I've also ordered a keyboard protector for it.

Lets see... you got the #1 addition head on... RAM is always a good thing.

I'm debating a port cover... I didn't have one on my old iBook (I've had a few Apple portables in my day) and it never really had problems.

The portable USB hub could come in handy.

Carrying cases are always a good thing.

Of your list thats about all that I would get. Other than a second power adapter (which aren't available til Nov). Its all about not having to fiddle under your desk at work with a power plug.
The Doctre
G4 DP 533Mhz 1.0Gig/365(40+75+250)/BT/4600/Superdrive
Mac mini 1.42/1G/80/Combo
Mac mini Core Duo 1.66/1G/100/Superdrive
iPod Mini - Silver,iPod 40Gig - Click Wheel

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2001, 02:38 PM

I ordered the port cover and leatherette palm rest from MacImports. The port cover doesn't line up with the iBooks ports correctly (I'm a bit anal), so I don't use it. The palm rest looks sharp.

Also, don't forget a USB floppy, and a white 25ft phone cord. These two items are probably my most useful add-ons.

I also have the Keyspan Digital Media Remote and a FireWire cable in my bag.

Whatever you accessorize with, make sure it compliments that beautiful machine. I recently saw a 2001 iBook user use a beige mouse, blue USB hub, and a black AC adapter with it. Blech!

WTWolfe
Oct 17, 2001, 02:40 PM

I have an iBook 466 SE FW. I think that I most enjoy my...

1> Ram (but buy it and install it yourself, it is dirt cheap right now)

2> Macally Optimouse Jr. (Love it) although the Macally Ti (mini) mouse looks nice too.

3> Kensington FlyLight Notebook USB light (bought it at the Apple Store in Columbus, OH) Awesome product. Bought it as a curiosity, use it alot.

4> Retractable modem (phone) line 18' long and very small

5> Targus Notebook case (inexpensive and fits the iBook and toys very well. I am sure the new iBook would have even more room.)

Things that I want (need LOL!!)...in no particular order...

Griffin iMic

Keyspan mini USB hub (sweet!! excellent size)

As far as buying a keyboard protector I use a new shoe shine polishing clothe. There is no reason to go out and buy something when it will do the same job. I didn't think this one up, a Captain I used to fly with who has a TiBook gave me the idea because this is what he uses. And h*ll, we get them for free at the hotels! LOL!!!! I think you could possibly use a piece of felt for that matter if you wanted a little color, heaven knows it's about time Apple added a little color to the new iBooks!
Well that is my $.02 for what it is worth...
� G4 350 (AGP) 640MB OS 9.2.2
� iBook SE 466 Graphite 192MB OS X v10.1.4 (5Q125)

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2001, 03:19 PM

Yeah, I need to get a retractable phone cord. I didn't see a name brand mentioned - is there a good one? Or are they just standard? For instance, I think MacAddict mentioned one that had a modem protector in it... or maybe it was a separate product. I guess the modem protector is mainly for hotels, right? If they have a PBX system or something, it can fry your modem? But don't they usually label the "data ports"?

That flylight thing looks cool, but I hear it has no controls for brightness. Actually I was really hoping for a backlit keyboard. Maybe next rev. $20 seems a little damn expensive for an LED on a flex neck, too. Can't believe Radio Shack hasn't copied this for $10.

What else? Keep the ideas coming!

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2001, 03:30 PM

First, let me admit that I cross-posted this topic on the PowerBook forum, too, to get their opinions. And you might check there for other responses.

I got a good one about alternative, cheap ways to do things. Someone here mentioned using a shoe-shine cloth for a keyboard protector. Someone over there recommended Swiffer sheets (the ones without a coating)! Great ideas!

I wanted to suggest here (as I did there) that people also post ideas for doing things using homemade devices and some ingenuity!

ntsc
Senior User
Oct 17, 2001, 04:00 PM

I used to have a PBG4 and the screen was constantly in need of cleaning from the oil and what not from the keyboard.
I was considering buying an iBook but i was wondering how one correctly cleans the screen? This is reasonably important to me because i am quite fastidious about a clean screen. Something about finger marks making text blurry makes me go crazy!
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

doctre
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2001, 04:56 PM

Some lint free wipes and some screen cleaner always did the trick for me.
The Doctre

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2001, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by doctre:
<STRONG>A keyboard protector is a good add-on.</STRONG>
It is not an issue with the iBook as it does not smudge the screen.

[ 10-17-2001: Message edited by: Immortal K-Mart Employee ]

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

hsl
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2001, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
<STRONG>

It is not an issue with the iBook as it does not smudge the screen.

[ 10-17-2001: Message edited by: Immortal K-Mart Employee ]</STRONG>
Well, I am going to get one because my iBook does smudge the screen (a lot) I just clean it with a soft lint free wipe and a little water.
15,4" MBP (late 2008), 2,53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD | 27" ACD | 11" MBA, 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM , 128GB | 16GB iPhone4 | 32GB iPad

The biggest fan of JoliOriginals MacBook, iPad and iPhone Sleeves!

nuckin futs
Forum Regular
Oct 17, 2001, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by ntsc:
<STRONG>

I was considering buying an iBook but i was wondering how one correctly cleans the screen? This is reasonably important to me because i am quite fastidious about a clean screen. Something about finger marks making text blurry makes me go crazy!</STRONG>
http://www.klearscreen.com/ works great and was mentioned in Apple's site ( i don't know if it's endorsed, but it did mention that it is what they tested) article ID 60446 in Apple's kbase.

[ 10-17-2001: Message edited by: nuckin futs ]

pscates
Oct 17, 2001, 08:55 PM

When I get my iBook, I will also be getting (eventually) the following to go with it:

- Apple Pro Mouse
- Apple Pro Keyboard (while at my desk, I'd rather sit back a bit and use a full-size keyboard)
- AirPort Card
- AirPort Base Station
- Harman/Kardon Soundsticks
- Carrying case of some sort (Dr. Bott or other form-fitted, low-key case)
- Extra power supply to keep in the carrying case so I don't have to fool with transferring my deskbound one around (or accidentally forgetting it)
- Extra RAM (definitely 256MB, unless those 512MB DIMMs miraculously drop a couple hundred bucks)
- Cool Pad Pro riser/tilt/swivel base

I'll add these slowly, with some being more important than others. The mouse and RAM would definitely be first on the list and the extra power supply and the Cool Pad would probably be among the last things I pick up.

Everyone's different and with different needs, but the above would round out the perfect, ideal set-up for someone with my needs and work habits. Since I'll be getting the combo drive model, I won't need an external CD burner and I haven't used a floppy disk in over a year-and-a-half, so I don't see the need to shell out $69.95 for one of those either.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2001, 10:54 PM

If you're going to be on the go for any amount of time (I'm guessing you are since you got an iBook) , take the time out to get a nice backpack. Don't get a case that looks like a computer case because (this advice comes from a friend in NYC) it will stick out like a sore thumb to crooks.
I got a ... oh gosh.... I can't even find a label on my backpack, but it's quite nice. All black, has an extra top zipper that has extra padding to keep a laptop in, as well as a nice handle to grab onto to carry it like a laptop carrying case without actually looking like a laptop carrying case. No one could tell if I'm carrying paper and notebooks or a $1500 laptop in it..

I also just picked up a Logitech optical mouse yesterday for $15 (with a rebate at Office Depot) and am quite pleased. I was thinking of a wireless optical to go with the 'book, but for regular deskwork it's not too bad to be corded. Plugging my AV cable from the 'book into the TV and browsing the web from my couch with a wireless mouse... insane!

AirPort is the best accessory you can get. At risk of repeating myself, being on the internet anywhere in your home or office is simply outstanding. You can't understand how cool it is until you actually try it out... the $400 price tag ain't a $15 mouse, but going on the web anywhere in the house is... cool

fbroz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2001, 11:17 PM

I noticed one of the posters suggested getting an apple pro mouse to go with their new iBook. If you are only going to use this with a keyboard or hub, or if you are left handed, this should be fine, but if you are right handed and plan to use the mouse by directly plugging it in to the iBook, you may run into problems. Most third-party mice have a long enough cord, or a USB extention should do the trick, but the cord on the pro mouse is very short.
--
Frank

WTWolfe
Oct 17, 2001, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by pscates:
<STRONG>When I get my iBook, I will also be getting (eventually) the following to go with it:

- Extra RAM (definitely 256MB, unless those 512MB DIMMs miraculously drop a couple hundred bucks)
</STRONG>
Ram is so cheap right now!!!!!!!!! 512MB can be had for $149.50 and 256MB can be bought for $22.50!!!!!!!!!!!!!! go check it out at :
Ram Seeker

GO GET YOUR RAM WHILE IT IS CHEAP!!!!!
� G4 350 (AGP) 640MB OS 9.2.2
� iBook SE 466 Graphite 192MB OS X v10.1.4 (5Q125)

pscates
Oct 18, 2001, 12:07 AM

Originally posted by fbroz:
<STRONG>I noticed one of the posters suggested getting an apple pro mouse to go with their new iBook. If you are only going to use this with a keyboard or hub, or if you are left handed, this should be fine, but if you are right handed and plan to use the mouse by directly plugging it in to the iBook, you may run into problems. Most third-party mice have a long enough cord, or a USB extention should do the trick, but the cord on the pro mouse is very short.</STRONG>
Yeah, that was me. I've noticed how short the cords on Apple mice are...you're right. And the USB port being on the left side of the iBook (I'm right-handed) certainly doesn't help.

Add to my original list this item: a 3' USB extension cord

As for the post below yours, regarding the RAM, I'll definitely check it out. Thanks. I've always bought from The Chip Merchant here in San Diego and I rarely, if ever, look at other memory suppliers. But I'll check those prices out. The Chip Merchant always has really good prices, but even their 512MB DIMM for the iBook is in the low-mid $300 range...a HUGE leap up from their 256MB DIMM, which only goes for around $45 or so.

Yes, I wish Apple mice had a tad longer cord on them. With the Titanium G4 having its USB ports on the back, that probably isn't a problem is it? Not as far to reach and all. You know what's hard to find? A 3' A-to-A USB cable! I can find 3' A-to-B cables and I can find 6', 12' and 15' A -to-A, no problem. Doesn't Apple include short A-to-A USB cables in their G4s? A couple of buddies of mine just got Quicksilvers within the past couple of months and I seem to remember seeing short USB extender cables in their accessory box. Maybe I can mooch one off of one of them...

Paulus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2001, 04:27 AM

In my humble opinion Itunes is a kickass bit of software and to make
the most of it get a set of Harmon Kardon Soundsticks "for home use"
and a decent set of headphones "for use on the road" the Ibook built
in speakers dont do it justice !

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2001, 08:59 AM

Can we get into specifics? I'd like some brand names and part/model numbers for carrying cases, particularly the good ones that don't scream "steal me, I'm a laptop". Web links would be good, too, especially if you know where something is currently on sale.

Has anyone bought a locking cable? If so, do you find that you actually use it? I've got a full office set up with wall-mount desk surfaces (like cubeware), but I can't think of anything to actually secure the cord to. And it struck me that this might be a common problem. How often are there nice little sturdy holes to slip a cable lock through??

Has anyone used the Kensington PocketMouse? I'd like a usable wheel mouse that doesn't take up much space in the bag. At home I have a Logitech wheel mouse that I love, but apparently they don't make it any more. And it's too big to be portable.

Do you have to buy Apple's AV cable? Is it a proprietary connector? $19 seems a little pricey for a cable. But I'll eventually need one.

I wonder how hard it would be to build a flylight? Of course, you'd probably be risking frying your USB port if you didn't know what you were doing. It's gotta just be a white LED and a resistor, right? Hmmm. Anyone tried this? I'd like to make one with a potentiometer so I can vary the lighting. Don't know where I'd find the flex neck, though.

Anyway, now I'd like specific recomendations - with links, if possible. Sounds like the top items are a carrying case, a mouse, a phone cord and RAM so far. But if anyone else has some suggestions, I'm still open for ideas!

Voch
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2001, 09:35 AM

Not to be negative or anything but doesn't having a lot of accessories for a minimalist portable defeat the purpose of having a portable in the first place? I have the iBook Dual USB/500/DVD and hardly any accessories. No monitor. No external keyboard. My entire system is compact and available for on-the-go without having to unplug the Harmon Kardon speakers or the external mouse (yes...I can play Quake 2 and Quake 3 with the iBook's excellent touchpad).

I admit that I do have some necessities (a SmartMedia/Compact Flash card reader and a pair of headphones for listening to music) but I think a keyboard and such are a bit of overkill.

I'm probably alone in this philosophy. I had a PowerBook Duo 230 in my day and while I owned the floppy drive and the floppy dock I hardly ever used them. It was nice to have everything I needed in a compact portable and the new iBook seems to be the best machine for that purpose (especially now that we have built-in Ethernet and such that the Duo lacked).

Voch

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2001, 11:03 AM

I'm 99% sure that the folks with extra keyboards and big mice and speakers are talking about a fixed setup at work or at home, when they're NOT trying to be mobile. Unless you're a real road warrior, you're going to spend the bulk of your time at a desk somewhere with your laptop. And in that case, it can be nice to have a full keyboard, mouse and some other accessories.

I'm looking for some small things to throw in my carrying case for when I'm truly mobile.

pscates
Oct 18, 2001, 11:04 AM

To each his own. Don't sweat it.

I can take the iBook down to its bare form for couch surfing via AirPort or travelling. But if it's going to be my ONLY computer, I'd like it to be as comfortable and useful as I can make it.

They're just add-ons that make the iBook even more functional and even more of a "digital hub", for those of us so inclined.

(Edit: Zoom and I just posted at the same time, and his post is what I tried to say! I'm not a full-tilt "road warrior" by any stretch, so I'll be at a desk quite a bit when I'm drawing or working on projects. But I do like knowing that I can unhook the speakers, keyboard, etc. and surf/e-mail anywhere in the apartment AND can also pack it in a bag and go somewhere else - a client or friend's house, for example - with everything I need right there in the iBook. Don't think for a second, Yoch, that I would actually lug around Soundsticks and such with me on the road! Strictly for at-home use )

[ 10-18-2001: Message edited by: pscates ]

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2001, 11:28 AM

I'm also planning to buy the Sony Speakers mentioned in the MacAddict article. I recently had to do a presentation, and needed speakers. I bought a cheap pair, but they really didn't project well. I ended up connecting my iBook to a TV, instead of using the VGA-video projector. Those speakers look compact enough to work with my set-up.

[As a side note, I could feel the envy as I unplugged the video projecter and plugged into the TV. ]

As far as mice, I use the original Graphite puck mouse. Hey, it works.

Voch
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2001, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by Zoom:
<STRONG>I'm looking for some small things to throw in my carrying case for when I'm truly mobile.</STRONG>
Well, my iBook's bag has a auto-windup phone cord, the Apple AV cable, an extra composite cable and a gender changer (handy when the computer can't quite reach the TV and I'm giving a presentation), and the power cord and AC adapter (but I'm going to get one of those new AC adapters as soon as they're available).

My friend who owns a PowerBook 3400c/200 takes a tiny single-outlet spike/surge protector with her. Those are kinda neat, too (I may pick one up someday).

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 18, 2001, 12:14 PM

My first purchase would be the port replicator I saw at MacWorld- it takes care of eliminating the AV cable and the RGB-VGA cable, and replicates the firewire/usb/ethernet/modem ports.
http://www.bookendzdocks.com/

they still claim it isn't available, but the one they showed at MacWorld was PERFECT.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2001, 12:36 PM

vmarks, can you point to any picture of this thing you're talking about? This is an iBook dock, like the one you linked to for the TiBook? Or is it a little brick thing that sticks onto the side of the iBook? Any idea what it would cost? Man, $225 is a little steep for a port replicator (that's the cost of the TiBook dock). The margins on that baby must be high.

Why doesn't Apple make docks for its laptops? Seems like a very logical thing to make.

I think I may upgrade my G4 to a new Pro Keyboard (mine came with that damn mid-size keyboard), and then I'll use my old keyboard at work.

I didn't understand the gender changer you mentioned, voch. What does it switch between?

Is the AV port on the iBook proprietary? (No one has answered that question yet.) In other words, do I have to buy this AV adapter from Apple? Does anyone else make one that will work (that's cheaper

Ahhh... just answered my own question. While researching the iBook, I discovered that it has TWO video out ports: AV and VGA. And it comes with a VGA adapter cable. So I'll be ready to drive a projector, right out of the box. But if I want to drive a TV, I'll need the AV cable.

I'm checking the Apple "order status" page about every hour, and my damn iBook is still under construction. Aaargh!! I want it NOW!!

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2001, 12:54 PM

<STRONG>
Is the AV port on the iBook proprietary? (No one has answered that question yet.) In other words, do I have to buy this AV adapter from Apple? Does anyone else make one that will work (that's cheaper
</STRONG>
Yes. some have reported that the AV cables from various video cameras works if you insert them just right...

If you're shopping for a case, consider
one of these from SF bags. I have one for the iBook, and it's perfect.

graphics84
Senior User
Oct 18, 2001, 01:35 PM

must have:

WACOM 4X5 PAD

they rock and are USB powered... I get a solid 2.5 hours using one at a coffee shop...

but lets face it... I'm become a coffee shop veteran and I know all the sweet spots where plugs are assessable

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 18, 2001, 10:44 PM

<STRONG>vmarks, can you point to any picture of this thing you're talking about? This is an iBook dock, like the one you linked to for the TiBook? Or is it a little brick thing that sticks onto the side of the iBook? Any idea what it would cost? Man, $225 is a little steep for a port replicator (that's the cost of the TiBook dock). The margins on that baby must be high.</STRONG>
I don't have a picture of the thing, but it's a white brick that goes on the side. It's a steep price for a port replicator, but then, when I look at what they cost for IBM port replicators (I have three thinkpads, work...), the price is in line, even if it doesn't seem like complex engineering.

I just prefer the notion of having it all in one brick, and not having two separate cables that can fail. The brick seems more reliable to me.

Are you a member of a Triangle area MUG? I haven't hung out with any local Mac users...

Victor Marks
[email protected]
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

doctre
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2001, 11:09 PM

Zoom,

At least yours is in the "Being Assembled" stage... mine is still "Being Reviewed".
The Doctre

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2001, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by vmarks:
<STRONG>Are you a member of a Triangle area MUG? I haven't hung out with any local Mac users...</STRONG>
Nah. No time for such things. I barely have time for posting to forums.

What do MUGs do, anyway? I guess that's a whole other topic.

RichardS
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2001, 02:02 AM

doctre, it could be worse.

I got a shipment notification, and was in instant euphoria. Only after shooting off an email to someone else that my ibook was on the way did I realize that it was a shipment notification for my AV Cable... not the ibook...

doctre
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2001, 08:35 AM

Oh now that had to be a big let down. This happened with one of my previous orders though, it was in Being Reviewed forever and then one day it shipped. Its not been 10 biz days yet so I'm not too worried about it.
The Doctre

RichardS
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2001, 01:52 PM

Heh, I'm happier now.

SHIPPED! early this morning.

Right now, it's somewhere in the air between taiwan and alaska.

doctre
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2001, 03:02 PM

Coolness! Guess that means you'll get it Tuesday then?

Be sure to post when its in your hands
The Doctre

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2001, 03:02 PM

Damn, mine is still "being assembled"!! AARRGHH!! I wonder if it was the 20G drive or the AirPort card that is holding it up.

I also wonder how up-to-date that status page is.

I assumed that the "10 biz days" quote was standard procedure, even if the thing was sitting on the shelf ready to go.

They never asked me for an email address, which is odd (I ordered by phone). I'm going to call and give it to them, and check on the status again.

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2001, 03:03 PM

Also, don't forget a USB floppy
Uhhh that's a negatory IMHO... No one uses them any more unless they work with PC's a lot and/or own an old Sony Mavica. They're too small.

As far as bags go... I have the Brenthaven Mobility 1 bag available from the Apple Store and it is AWESOME... you can hardly tell you're carrying it even when it's LOADED with gadgets... REAL light.

Mac Guru

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2001, 03:11 PM

Rats! I called and they told me that it could (would?) take up to 10 days just to assemble!!! It might be 3 weeks before I get my iBook! Crap.

doctre
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2001, 03:19 PM

Zoom,

I guess it depends on if you deviated from the standard configs, which by adding a 20gig HD and Airport you did. I did as I wanted a 30 gig HD so I'm expecting mine to ship closer to the 10 day mark. Those who just ordered one of the regular configs are probably going to get their books faster. Unless RichardS also deviated from one of the standard configs and then I'm just dead wrong.
The Doctre

MUGlover
Oct 19, 2001, 03:56 PM

What do MUGs do? Why, anything you want, to quote the software salesman. I have found that they have a face-to-face element we cannot get in these forums (with all the advantages and disadvantages thereof). Members can offer several or none of these benefits of membership:

Shareware
Newsletter
Question and answer sessions
Tech support
Vendor presentations
Raffle of featured software
Snack or meal with the meetings
Holiday parties
Discounts at nearby Mac stores

Increasingly, these options can be provided online, and I'm not saying there's any one way to combine them, just that there are benefits.

Now for the laptop accessories:

I agree the iMic is useful. Too bad the earlier forum postings are unavailable, listing earlier versions of the accessory thread.

An Ethernet cable is my suggestion. I have never yet used the phone jack on the iBook, but Ethernet was a wonderful addition. No, it doesn't retract automatically. I politely suggest a twist tie. HTH, Jim

RichardS
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2001, 04:25 PM

Nope, no build to order for me. I ordered a stock Combo version.

My father is sending me 128mb of ram he pulled out of his iBook to hold me over until I can afford a 512 chip, so I'll only have 256 megs of ram for awhile.

On the cases side of the thread, I've been considering a sleeve, although I'm not really sure. I would be carrying the 'book in both a 2 compartment backpack and a WWDC laptop bag, and don't know if I should be looking into getting a sleeve or not.

Any comments?

mlaster
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2001, 08:13 PM

<STRONG>

Nah. No time for such things. I barely have time for posting to forums.

What do MUGs do, anyway? I guess that's a whole other topic.</STRONG>
Wow, there seem to be a lot of Mac people from the Triangle here :-)

I went to the MUG once a couple of years ago and wasn't too terribly impressed. I guess I was looking for developer types, but they cater more to user types.

techX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2001, 11:23 PM

Off-Topic...Read at your own risk

I have been attending the TMUG group and it has been rather interesting. However, I have been out of the Mac world for almost 7 years. It has been nice to get more aquainted with whats going on and meet some nice people. It would be nice if there was some more technical Mac group in the area. I would like more of a focus on development and Mac OS X.

Originally posted by mlaster:
<STRONG>

Wow, there seem to be a lot of Mac people from the Triangle here :-)

I went to the MUG once a couple of years ago and wasn't too terribly impressed. I guess I was looking for developer types, but they cater more to user types.</STRONG>

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2001, 11:56 PM

One VERY cool accesory I have (other than my optical mouse)

Is a USB light by Kesington. Plugs into the usb port and has a gooseneck (flexable) thin tube with an LCD light on the end for lighting up the keyboard. Perfect for planes or sitting in a dark room. Not A LOT of light but then you dont need much more than the screen light. Takes up no space and uses virtualy no power (so they claim)

I bought it at the Apple store in Chicago for a mere $19.00 Best bargin I've seen!

Check it out!

<Spamaholic>
Oct 20, 2001, 03:45 AM

For a small optical, two button, on-the-road mouse, check out Contour MiniPro Ti. It matches the silver on the iBook, and comes with a unique hardshell carrying case to prevent damage when in the bag. I got one for my wife for around $30 from SmallDog, and she loves it.

Yeah, forget about the USB floppy. If you need removable media, try the crossplatform DiskonKey, or something similar.

Matsu
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2001, 08:33 AM

OK, this may seem retarded to many of you because alot of you are long time mac users, but for many people an iBook may be their first (cross-over to the forces of good) mac. In my case, I only use them at school (much better than my PC), but I'm seriously contemplating the new iBook, and whenI get it, I think a good everything-you-need-to-know-mac-bible will be my first accessory, maybe even something specifically for the iBook. I know there's plenty of online help, but sometimes I just want the security of turning some real paper.
Apple: bumping prices, not specs.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 20, 2001, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by techX:
<STRONG>Off-Topic...Read at your own risk

I have been attending the TMUG group and it has been rather interesting. However, I have been out of the Mac world for almost 7 years. It has been nice to get more aquainted with whats going on and meet some nice people. It would be nice if there was some more technical Mac group in the area. I would like more of a focus on development and Mac OS X.

</STRONG>
So here's a vaild question:

If there are a few folks who are interested in development and OS X, and we're all in the Triangle area, why not either:
1) start a small group of our own,
2) or, join one of the local MUGs, and set a portion of meeting time for development. It seems to me that MUGs ought to follow what their members want, so if you're into development, the MUG ought to be a group that can help get into that.

Victor Marks
[email protected]
919-2540910 work

frido:mac
Oct 21, 2001, 07:54 AM

<STRONG>Can we get into specifics? I'd like some brand names and part/model numbers for carrying cases, particularly the good ones that don't scream "steal me, I'm a laptop". Web links would be good, too, especially if you know where something is currently on sale.

</STRONG>

That�s what I use for my dual USB iBook....(it is not exactly small, though..:-)
Jansport LapStation

Bye, Frido.

frido:mac
Oct 21, 2001, 07:59 AM

<STRONG>Can we get into specifics? I'd like some brand names and part/model numbers for carrying cases, particularly the good ones that don't scream "steal me, I'm a laptop". Web links would be good, too, especially if you know where something is currently on sale.

</STRONG>

That�s what I use for my dual USB iBook....(it is not exactly small, though..:-)
Jansport LapStation

Bye, Frido.

Forum Links
Forum Rules