Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Getting a Ti, need advice

Getting a Ti, need advice
theiliad
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2002, 08:48 PM

Hi. I just ordered my new Ti (550).

I was hoping that some of you could give me a bit of advice on the thingds I'll need to go with it.

1. What kinda of software will I need to integrate in to a PC network seemlessly (including printing)

2. I want to get a sleeve for the Ti so i can put it into my bag. Any suggestions?

3. Optical mouse (two buttons plus scroll wheel). Which is the best. I'm considering Microsoft's one.

4. Video lead. Will I be able to connect my Ti to a porjector straight aay or will I need to buy a new lead.

5. Ethernet cable. ?????

Thanks for the help

[ 02-11-2002: Message edited by: theiliad ]

iEasyPOD - The easiest way to convert all your videos for the iPod

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2002, 09:21 PM

Hi. I just ordered my new Ti (550).

I was hoping that some of you could give me a bit of advice on the thingds I'll need to go with it.

1. What kinda of software will I need to integrate in to a PC network seemlessly (including printing)

I'm using my Ti on a University network, and don't need any additional software for connecting to other PC's or for printing. I you want an easy way of browsing the entire PC network, you may want to get DAVE (www.thursby.com), a great utility for seamless integration is PC environments. But, as I indicated, no software is necessary.

2. I want to get a sleeve for the Ti so i can put it into my bag. Any suggestions?

The best sleeve (quality +design+ customer service) www.sfbags.com (Waterfield design). Truly great quality. I have the Titanium sleeve, the Racer X bag for longer travel, and am ordering the super-dooper sleeve for my iPod.

3. Optical mouse (two buttons plus scroll wheel). Which is the best. I'm considering Microsoft's one.

Can't help you here.

4. Video lead. Will I be able to connect my Ti to a porjector straight aay or will I need to buy a new lead.

I connect my Ti to a projector each week. No problem, you do not need to buy any additional devices. Works seemlessly, and not a hassle like with PC laptops.

5. Ethernet cable. ?????

You need to buy one. Couple of bucks.

Thanks for the help

[/LIST]
[ 02-11-2002: Message edited by: GK ]

nick h
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2002, 11:42 PM

1. For networking: DAVE works great. I'm actually using Sharity (versiontracker.com has a demo of it) and finally got it to work.

2. I agree with Gk, the best sleeve is the Waterfield one.

3. Optical mouse: You have some options, do you want an extra portable one or regular one. I prefer the Kensington Mouse-in-a-Box Optical Pro (it has 5 buttons and a scroll wheel). Kensington makes "really great drivers." I would steer clear of the Microsoft mice, although many people here have love them.

4. You are set video-wise.

5. Ethernet cable? Oh, c'mon, get an Airport card!

Enjoy.
Roam: iBook (Dual USB) ~ 600Mhz, 384MB, 15GB, DVD, 12.1", OS X

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2002, 11:58 PM

theiliad:

Regarding the network: Well, I think it depends on the kind of network you are trying to connect to. Do you know any of the particulars?

The Waterfield sleeves are nice. I also have a Timbuk2 Sleeve which is VERY well padded, but it is a lot bigger. If you are carrying it in a wheeling suitcase w/ alot of books and stuff go with the Tumbuk2. If you are putting it into a shoulder bag - then go with the Waterfield.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2002, 01:30 AM

www.logitech.com

I couldn't recommend any product more than the Logitech MouseMan Traveler for your purposes. It's a perfect, 3-button mouse with a scroll wheel.

Microsoft's Wheel Mouse Optical is terrible. It uses an older sensor that doesn't track fast enough (compared to Microsoft's IntelliMouse Explorer) or provide 800 dots per inch of resolution (standard in newer Logitech mice).

himself
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2002, 07:20 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with seanyepez. Logitech's Mouseman Traveller is an awesome mouse. It's small (and easily portable) with out being unusable, has two buttons plus scroll wheel/button, and it looks damn good (somewhat complements the Tibook). It even has dual optical sensors for exceptional tracking.

Everyone else covered all of the other topics... so you're set!
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Mack
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2002, 08:03 PM

I also have a Logitech MouseMan Traveler. It's a very nice portable mouse that matches the TiPB almost perfectly. It even comes with a nice travel case. I highly recommend it if your main use is for travel.

For everyday use, though, it may be a bit on the flimsy side. The scroll wheel especially is a bit stiff and "clicky." If you are using your PB as a desktop replacement, you might want to check out the Logitech cordless optical mouse (the blue one). It feels very solid and I find it very comfortable. The software is fully functional in OS 9 but provides only two buttons and scroll wheel in OS X (but that's enough). One caveat: it eats batteries - I go through a pair a week.

Mack
Forum Regular
Feb 13, 2002, 08:15 PM

Also, if you end up looking for a bag for your PB, check out http://www.brenthaven.com. They make great bags and most have a removable sleeve with a separate handle that can serve as a stand-alone sleeve. The sleeves are very well padded.

theiliad  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2002, 10:38 PM

It'll be mostly used as a deskto[p replacement so I want to get a full sized mouse. I was thinking of the Microsoft IntelliMouse explorer. Anyone used it?

As for the bads I checked the ww.sfbags.co link. Nice but the problem is when you add the $23 international shipping it's quite expensive. Anybody know a european web page I could try?

Thanks for all the responses.

cbrg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2002, 06:55 PM

Simply put...run, don't walk, to http://www.bagreview.com.

Here you will find the wisdom you seek.
--------------------------------------------
Chris Edwards
http://www.bagreview.com

Reviews asnd ratings of laptop bags, backpack, and messenger bags with attention to the Powerbook, Powerbook G4, iBook, iBook Dual USB

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2002, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by theiliad:
<STRONG>It'll be mostly used as a deskto[p replacement so I want to get a full sized mouse. I was thinking of the Microsoft IntelliMouse explorer. Anyone used it?</STRONG>
Well, I don't own a PowerBook, but I do own the IntelliMouse Explorer, and intend to use it with my PowerBook once I've purchased one (it will be replacing my desktop computer as well). I've had it for several years and it's still working great (although the Microsoft logo has worn off it...which some might consider a good thing )! The only thing is that MS still doesn't have any drivers for OS X out yet, but hopefuly it won't be too much longer (plus there's always USB Overdrive X, which has a beta avilable now). You can use the left/right buttons + scroll wheel by deault in most X applications, and games can still use all 5 buttons.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

theiliad  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 17, 2002, 08:02 AM

I checked at bag review in the Titantium section. They didn't seem to have any sleeves at all.
I also checked out the IntelliMouse explorer. Looks nice, I don't need five buttons, the two plus scroll wheel is perfect ( for office mostly) so I'll probably go with that.

I'll download dave tomorrow as soon as I get the PB, then I'll try it up in the lab in college (expect me to be posting in the networking forum tomorrow then)

Thanks again for all the responces

theiliad  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2002, 08:32 PM

Just got the Ti today. Man this is soon sweet machine!!!!!!!!!

I'll post some pics soon.

BTW The music included in iTunes (esp the one by Oakey) are great.

LH
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2002, 03:49 PM

<STRONG>Just got the Ti today. Man this is soon sweet machine!!!!!!!!!

I'll post some pics soon.

BTW The music included in iTunes (esp the one by Oakey) are great.</STRONG>

Where are the pics!! I'm thinking of getting a machine. What specs did you end up with?

LH

theiliad  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2002, 07:34 PM

Sorry I haven't got back to this thread, it's been a crazy few weeks at college. I got the 550 with 512 megs ram and 20 gigs.
BTW I went with the Water Field sleeve, very nice, the postages was a bit expensive though.

If your thinking about getting a Ti, do, it's fantastic. It's great to be able to bring my mac to the lab and not have to use the shitty PC's.

There is ine think I will sya, the hardrive is noticebly slower than my cube, so I'd recommend the 48 gigger cause it runs at 5400rpm instead of 4200.

I try post pics in the next few days.

jksu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2002, 02:30 PM

[QB]Hi. I just ordered my new Ti (550).

sfbags.com sleeve is what i use. nicely padded without being too bulky. great customer service

logitech is the way to go. feel better constructed than microsofts. plug and play in os x. i have two, the mouseman traveler (wonderful industrial design, although small for my hands...great for travel) and the cordless optical (symmetrical blue trim, not the more expensive right-hand only). larger size fits my hands great, awesome optical resolution and i've had not problems with reception.

5. Ethernet cable. ?????
any cheap cat 5 cable will work with the powerbook.

consider a set of earplugs/head phones. i use the koss "plugs" that have the earplug soft material to seal out noise. $10 at circuit city. i also have a set of sony vr300 silver over-ear semi-folding headphones.

john

Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2002, 07:52 PM

You have to be very, very careful with a Ti. mine is falling apart.
If you dont need the g4 and like some extra money in your pocket, go for a pismo 500.
T E K N O

Forum Links
Forum Rules