Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > kleen my keebord, mama

kleen my keebord, mama
wlonh
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2000, 09:42 AM

hey what is the best method for cleaning a keyboard? what cleaning fluid? etc?

i've heard the one about using the dishwasher, and no i ain't gonna do that, even it it has worked for others (and apparently it has)

DocWest
Senior User
Jun 6, 2000, 10:00 AM

Man, you'd have to be crazy putting a keyboard in a dishwasher.
I don't use cleaning fluids either. I usually just use a damp cloth - in fact not even damp, damp is too wet. You gotta get it drier than damp. In between damp and dry is good (Dramp?) Anyway, once you got the dramp cloth, rub it all over ya keyboard. go crazy. every single key. every nook and cranny. in between keys. under keys if you're adventurous.

Also, if you've got a stuck key, use WD-40. It can't be beat.

disectamac
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2000, 10:32 AM

WD-40?!?! my god, the dishwasher sounds safer than that one.
I've never actually cleaned a keyboard in my life. I usually just dust it once in a while. Well, one time I did do more than dust it, I used a papertowel damped (almost to the point of dripping wet) with Windex....take the paper towel and wipe around the keys (sides, top, in between) kinda like flossing teeth

They should put a tag on keyboards:
Wipe down with damp cloth (windex)
let dry or help dry with new paper towel.
Do not wash with colors
Do not steam iron
Do not bleach

shopdowneast
Jun 6, 2000, 01:27 PM

I've put my keyboard in the sink...
after disasembly tho.
It's a umax (made by macally?) adb. Jest popped all the small scews out, the "guts" are three layers of plastic with carbon rubber buttons, like tv remotes. Washed and dried everything except the switch pads, I just wiped those with clean cloth.
It's a trade off of time vs. cost. smalldog still has some of these keyboards for $19? but I cleaned it in a half-hour so fair payback. note of caution-Some keyboards have real individual switches, and don't come apart without lots of loose parts flying. And don't try it for the first time night before a big job is due.

APW
Jun 6, 2000, 03:04 PM

I just use a duster to keep it clean! A friend of mine uses paper towels and windex too and it hasn't seemed to hurt anything!

brock76
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 6, 2000, 03:09 PM

You guys forgot abou the sandblaster and grinders. The cutting torch works if you're careful.

hehe

brock
Member of Overclockers-Network
Member of XiBase.com

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2000, 05:34 PM

I had tried popping out the keys from my extended 2... well, uh, DON'T!!! I learned the hard way ...actually my space bar is now all demented, a little higher on the left side... these things aren't meant to be taken apart, but man after 10 years of use, there is all this gunk on the bottom.

WDL
Jun 6, 2000, 06:38 PM

I use the "skins" (protectors) made by Fellowes - fit skin tight and you forget they're even there and you never need to clean your keyboard.

WDL

Bugs Bunny
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2000, 11:19 PM

I usually strap my Pismo to the top of my BMW, with the screen open, and run through the nearest high powered car wash. Of course it has to have a turbo powered dryer, this way it comes out nice and dry. The car wash must be of the "no touch" variety, or brushless as they say. Hot wax is also a nice touch.

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 6, 2000, 11:29 PM

yo Bugs that sounds like the ticket... thanks man... but do you think it's work if i use a Citroen Deux Chevaux instead? i don't have a beemer

JoeG4
Senior User
Jan 12, 2002, 08:06 AM

The best way to clean your pro keyboard:

Step 1: Open your G4 case, unscrew a pci slot cover and remove it. Close G4.
Step 2: Use PCI slot cover to remove all keys.
Step 3: Remove left and right screws.
Step 4: Remove that really hard plastic label on the back of your keyboard, remove the screw there.
Step 5: Remove two other screws on the bottom.
Step 6: pry keyboard GENTLY, it will not come apart. Unscrew two screws on the little wire protector attached above the USB wire.
Step 7: Rip keyboard out of case, notice the titanium finish is fake?
Step 8: Admire the three pieces of plastic that fell out, the ones that are like paper, you know, the two that you have no idea which way they'll go back in.
Step 9: Take keyboard, stick in washer machine: Warm, half detergent, no bleach, silk setting is preferable.
Step 10: Remove and iron.
Step 11 (this is the real doosy): Try to figure out what the hell to do with your two inch long keyboard that was melted.
Step 12: Call Apple and tell them that's how the keyboard was received.
Step 13: Take cardboard box from apple, insert keyboard, write your lie about it on the papers, insert in box, stick on label, tape up box, and wait 2 days while apple inspects your keyboard, and ships you a new one.

Ripping off Apple. Think Different.
I have quit MacNN effective at 5:00:00 PM, January 25, 2001.

Goodbye. (nobody banned me)

The Ginger Rat
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2002, 03:19 AM

I use a keyboard skin at home, as a necessary evil. It inhibits touch typing a little, as the keys have to be hit a little harder, so every now and then I drop keystrokes. Still, it is *very* good at keeping the keyboard clean, so I put up with it.

For the keyboards at work, I first blow out as much loose dirt with compressed air as I can. Be careful not to concentrate on one spot, as water will condense there. Then I wipe with a barely damp lintfree cloth using either water with a tiny bit of soap, or Windex.

Rychiar
Forum Regular
Dec 1, 2003, 12:27 PM

i spilled a lil water in mine, now its dead, yay
iMac G5 1.8 ghz 20in. 1.5 gigs RAM, 250 gig Harddrive, Fully Wireless
60 Gig Original Overpriced iPod photo
Power Mac G4 450 768 Megs RAM
5 Gig Original iPod (RIP 12-20-04) :(

Forum Links
Forum Rules