Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > If you wanna be anal retentive use a pc

If you wanna be anal retentive use a pc
dwight
Oct 11, 2000, 04:19 PM

Every article I read makes comments along the lines of "G4's need to have more MHz just to compete even if they are actually faster." Y'all need to go buy a P(iece)of C(rap) and leave me alone.

Xaositect
Oct 11, 2000, 04:30 PM

Amen.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2000, 04:46 PM

ditto that

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2000, 08:49 PM

Sorry Dwight, but your post highly offends me - I'm extremely anal and love my Macs!

Scott

Phaedrus
Oct 11, 2000, 09:42 PM

"Y'all need to go buy a P(iece)of C(rap) and leave me alone."

Yeah, it looks like alot of folks have been doing that lately...for now I'll keep bitchin' because I LOVE macs and I don't want lose the platform because Apple screwed it up by forgetting about things like value and competitiveness. If I didn't like macs so much, I wouldn't care if Apple went under...see what I mean? These people are bitchin' because Apple is repeating old mistakes that almost cost us the platform we like so much.

dwight
Oct 11, 2000, 10:37 PM

I dont think apple is making a mistake by not producing inflated MHz machines just for the marketing value.

Phaedrus
Oct 11, 2000, 11:00 PM

Hey, if you think Macs are so great, then why don't you go buy one?

------------------

Cipher13
Oct 12, 2000, 01:11 AM

Originally posted by dwight:
I dont think apple is making a mistake by not producing inflated MHz machines just for the marketing value.
Yeah, I mean, wouldn't it be terrible if Apple came out with a GHz desktop computer?? I mean, what would we do, we would be, *gasp*, equal with the PC world in terms of MHz for the first time in, what, 3 years?!?

Cipher13

dwight
Oct 12, 2000, 06:54 AM

I do own a mac and who cares if Apple equals the PC world in MHz?

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Oct 12, 2000, 07:52 AM

Macs are still faster...

I went from my Pentium 450 to my first and new G4 450 and this sucker screams!!!! Not alone with almost none of the pc problems as well...

------------------
- Eric
- Eric

Quadzmodo
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2000, 11:20 AM

Apple's marketing department needs to realize that the fancy commercials that they're producing aren't worth crud.. I just switch to the Mac platform 3wks ago and I can honestly say, I didn't see one commercial before then.. I don't watch a lot of TV so that's not a good excuse, but my point is if I would have saw it I wouldn't have been nearly as anxious to get my machine. Apple portrays their systems as elegant, but what I wanted was a video crunching, picture editing monster.. And yes, I have that, but I was very close to sticking with a platform I knew (winblows). After the switch, I realized what I've been missing simplicity. I didn't get the baby Cube or the iMac, I went for a tower with much ram and lots of storage. That's what I would like to see on TV a computer side by side like AMD vs Intel commercials of the past where the guy picks the wrong PC and is hit by a train. Apple needs to show the public not preach. Put a G4 next to a P3 show the public that apples are superior or at least comparable to the P3 Ghz machine..Make a commercial showing off apples imovie 2 compared to ME's video editing software.. Show them that apples are much for than orniments. Do it for us people who already own mac and thinking about buying new systems down the road as much as to bring in new people. Give the people something to visualize not just an excuse..

Ok, I'm through ranting..

This is just my humble opinion.

------------------
It's just my humble opinion.

[This message has been edited by Quadzmodo (edited 10-14-2000).]

dwight
Oct 15, 2000, 08:47 PM

Yep

kertong
Oct 16, 2000, 02:59 PM

You know, I'm going to have to second your post.

The only place I saw the cube was on apple's website. Then at a compusa store.

But ironically, you know what made me ditch my PC and buy a mac? My PC. The more and more I used my PC, the more I wanted a mac... I have never owned a mac before my PC - I've only played with a few at work, and a good frien dof mine had a Quadra 610 a few years back.

I dunno why, but as I churcned out bash scripts, and dealt with retarded, crippled windows machines, I just wanted something to work, and work elegantly and well. (Hey, linux works but you gotta admit, its pretty rough around the edges).

Yup. My hours of PC usage drove me to buy a mac. Sometimes I'm curious why this doesn't happen more often? I'm guessing a lot of people out there accept the PC to be the de-facto standard. They don't know what else is out there.

Well, time to go out there and educate.

Originally posted by Quadzmodo:
Apple's marketing department needs to realize that the fancy commercials that they're producing aren't worth crud.. I just switch to the Mac platform 3wks ago and I can honestly say, I didn't see one commercial before then.. I don't watch a lot of TV so that's not a good excuse, but my point is if I would have saw it I wouldn't have been nearly as anxious to get my machine. Apple portrays their systems as elegant, but what I wanted was a video crunching, picture editing monster.. And yes, I have that, but I was very close to sticking with a platform I knew (winblows). After the switch, I realized what I've been missing simplicity. I didn't get the baby Cube or the iMac, I went for a tower with much ram and lots of storage. That's what I would like to see on TV a computer side by side like AMD vs Intel commercials of the past where the guy picks the wrong PC and is hit by a train. Apple needs to show the public not preach. Put a G4 next to a P3 show the public that apples are superior or at least comparable to the P3 Ghz machine..Make a commercial showing off apples imovie 2 compared to ME's video editing software.. Show them that apples are much for than orniments. Do it for us people who already own mac and thinking about buying new systems down the road as much as to bring in new people. Give the people something to visualize not just an excuse..

Ok, I'm through ranting..

This is just my humble opinion.

Quadzmodo
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2000, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by kertong:
You know, I'm going to have to second your post.
Thank you kind sir.

But ironically, you know what made me ditch my PC and buy a mac? My PC. The more and more I used my PC, the more I wanted a mac... I have never owned a mac before my PC - I've only played with a few at work, and a good frien dof mine had a Quadra 610 a few years back.

I dunno why, but as I churcned out bash scripts, and dealt with retarded, crippled windows machines, I just wanted something to work, and work elegantly and well. (Hey, linux works but you gotta admit, its pretty rough around the edges).

Yup. My hours of PC usage drove me to buy a mac. Sometimes I'm curious why this doesn't happen more often? I'm guessing a lot of people out there accept the PC to be the de-facto standard. They don't know what else is out there.

Well, time to go out there and educate.

Good luck on educating the masses. I'm doing my part here in sunny Fl. I too came to realize that Apples were somewhat different and even superior to the Intel machines I was using. Like you I don't know what really drove my desire to buy a mac. It seemed like the more people told me not too, the more I wanted to behold the Graphite monster on my desktop. It's an urge that will someday come to all the PC users if given an opportunity to use a Mac, if just for an hour.

Oh yeah, why can't apple do something interesting to those little green men of Intel. LOL.. like plaster them on the wall with graphite paint..In a symbol resembling a G4!.. Just food for the mind.

------------------

VRL
Senior User
Oct 23, 2000, 05:48 PM

There are far too many ignorant people. Frustrating. We were recently asked to help a couple out - he wanted a G4, she was dead set on a Dell. We invited them over, showed them as much as we could (we own G3's, and 3 older Macs), but they still got the Dell. 700 MHz doesn't matter much if it doesn't work!! It hasn't worked right yet. Even with the major headaches, she refuses to listen. PC's are all that she knows, and to make a change is apparently way to scary.

We love our Macs, and will keep on educating!
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

EddieQ
Oct 30, 2000, 03:19 AM

Isn't there supposed to be a hyphen in the word "anal-retentive???"
Not a big deal; just being... a.r. Mac's Rule!

trunks_essex
Oct 30, 2000, 11:21 AM

Amen. Amen. Amen!!!

dwight
Oct 30, 2000, 06:18 PM

are you sure that you like macs??
jk

------------------

Forum Links
Forum Rules