Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > what the...?

what the...?
wlonh
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2000, 11:33 AM

we are number 67 now??!!??

and we have crunched 6614 units since 8/27?!?!

omigawd

(218 members, still... we had 219 a few days ago)

OoklaTheMok
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2000, 12:41 PM

Congratulations!

Errr... I won't say anything else.

Sorry.

OoklaTheMok
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 1, 2000, 12:52 PM

Oh, I see. The seti servers had a big backlog for a long time but they seem to be clearing up finally. What I mean is that if you added the individual totals of team members, it would be quite a bit more than the team total listed. They are finally straightening up.

Take a look at the Club Teams page, and then compare it to the All Teams page. Take rnoggin for example. Their total on the Club Teams page is much higher than their total on the All Teams page. Which shows that the All Teams page has not been fixed all the way yet.

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 2, 2000, 11:15 AM

we are as of this moment in 66th place in clubs standings, with 217 members

we had another defection, bah and harrrrrummmph

DocWest
Senior User
Sep 3, 2000, 01:38 AM

Yeah I think it mighta been iPad
I can't see him on the list he should be around 110 units with average around 11:50. Oh and his name was iJohn on the list.

iPad, are you still here?

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2000, 08:48 AM

well evangellydonut was one that split away from our team, maybe iPad did too... we are at 216 members now...

if iPad split, i will be a bit pissed... i sent him some CD's and this is the thanks i get??!!

what a world...

someone
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2000, 04:16 PM

Hi everyone!

I'm thinking of joining Team MacNN. I've been interested in Team MacNN ever since wlonh mentioned it on some Mac OS 9 forum... , but the only reason I didn't join was..well, Team MacAddict is one of the top ten teams in ALL SETI, and I feel that we should show everybody that Macs are really prominent in the SETI world.

That was my reasoning a while ago. Now, I'm thinkin', "Hey, they got enough users already, what's one more going to matter?"

Hang on, everybody, I may join you soon!

[This message has been edited by someone (edited 09-03-2000).]
someone who loves Macs

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2000, 08:45 PM

please do join us here at Team MacNN...

bigger is not always better, and the official SETI stats page already proves the worth of the Mac as far as speed is concerned, we Mac users are beating the Wintel crowd in speed if not in numbers, an should you join a larger team than ours you will not change that overall number thing, PC's will still be ahead of us in sheer numbers...

so do please join us!

right HERE

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 09-03-2000).]

someone
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2000, 09:35 PM

I've joined Team MacNN! Yaaay! I'm #145 in the rankings (PowerMac G4), and am wondering why I haven't done this before.
someone who loves Macs

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 3, 2000, 10:19 PM

thanks for joining us

DocWest
Senior User
Sep 4, 2000, 12:05 AM

Welcome!

Team MacNN certainly does have a better "Team" feeling. These forums are the main difference, everyone's friendly and help goes out to all who need it.

Have Fun and Happy Crunching!

someone
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2000, 01:05 PM

Thanks a lot everybody!!!
someone who loves Macs

Psych
Sep 4, 2000, 05:33 PM

i joined too (name silverhawk) ... do all my units get added to the teams total or is it counted from when i join the team?

i have 30 units

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2000, 06:01 PM

your WUs should come with you, that is, you have 30 and your team ranking should show them all when you join

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2000, 01:59 PM

woohoo we have 221 members now...

someone
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2000, 10:48 PM

3 new users in 4 days? Not a bad haul, wlonh! And Psych, welcome!
someone who loves Macs

Bockie
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2000, 04:05 PM

Sorry that I haven't greeted you earlier. I would like to thank everyone who has joined; your assistance and presence is welcomed and appreciated! Glad to have you on the Team!!!
09.11.01 - UNITED WE STAND

meko
Sep 11, 2000, 06:03 PM

I am back crunching units again guys and gals!

meko

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2000, 08:30 PM

cool, thanks!

keyser_soze
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2000, 05:50 PM

Hey wlonh, do you think you could make our little stats section post team rank out of all groups also, instead of just club rank.

We're #136 and have lots and lots of teams we can pass soon. I think it would help us feel like we're making headway passing more teams overall ,than maybe once every week or so to pass a team in our section and know we still have 6000 units to catch the next one.

Just a thought, sorry if I rambled.

Ok posters time to let them have it. MacNN Staff It's our duty to let MacNN know we hate intelliTXT!

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 13, 2000, 10:24 PM

howsabout if the link to the club team rank page is placed in our stat box? would that be sufficient? it sure would be easier to implement...

i.e., a link to this page: http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/s...am_type_4.html

BTW, we have 227 members now... crunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcr unchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunch

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 09-13-2000).]

keyser_soze
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2000, 07:11 PM

Ok posters time to let them have it. MacNN Staff It's our duty to let MacNN know we hate intelliTXT!

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2000, 12:19 PM

woohoo, 245 members now... we just smoked those folks at overclockerz, they do not realize that the SETI stats page has not been updated yet to reflect the change...

keyser_soze, we are working on the additional link getting posted to the cover page for team macnn, should be there shortly

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 09-15-2000).]

try
Sep 15, 2000, 08:56 PM

huh.. 250 members now.... ?!!!!! macnn is growing fast. This way I will never climb the macnn ladder

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2000, 09:06 PM

yes, i hear you! i keep falling in the standings myself!

and to think that once i was the only member, and was in FIRST place... memories...

Elderloc
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 16, 2000, 02:29 AM

I just joined in I have 5 MP G4 500's and 1 DV+ imac.

I there a way to run SETI in the background of a PC? I have control of over 2000+ workstations at my workplace. Is there a client that will run minimized on the task bar that I could hide?
Elderloc

We were just a bunch of sawgie old men eating egg salad sandwitches in a card board box, playing tease the wild wolverine in a confind space.

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 16, 2000, 03:57 AM

hey, glad you joined us... welcome! wow, 5 MP G4's... nice!

as for the PC questions, i haven't a clue, but someone on our team will certainly know...

but do have a look here, maybe these will help:

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/windows_help.html

the above link can be found among others here

and

http://www.setiweb.org/windowstips.htm

the above link can be found among others here

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 09-16-2000).]

Moof
Sep 16, 2000, 07:12 PM

When you install Seti on a PC you get different prefs than on the mac. If you want to run seti in the background, all you have to do is select the option to always run seti, best when used on computers with at least 64 mb ram, connect automatically. Thats it, it will run in the background all the time, just make sure they stay on overnight.

Moof

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2000, 12:55 AM

as of this moment, we have 273 members...

WOO HOO! amazing, we are growing by the minute it seems...

OoklaTheMok
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2000, 02:27 AM

I can tell you how to run SETI completely hidden (except for some bogus name that will show in the task list) in win95,98, or NT4. Don't think the same tricks work in win2k.

If you want to know, reply...

Moof
Sep 18, 2000, 10:42 AM

Sure, tell me how. I am about to leave th company I am MIS manager for and want to get SETI running on all the machines before I leave. Tell me how to hide it.

Moof

cwasko
Senior User
Sep 19, 2000, 05:38 PM

wlonh,

How often does seti update the team stats? I'm really curious to see how far we've come with all our new additions...

OoklaTheMok
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2000, 08:42 PM

If you feel fine about running it on computers you'll have no control over soon, well, go ahead.

Are the win98 or NT machines, or what? and if NT, do you have access to the reskit tools srvany and instsrv? If so, the task becomes much easier. If not, the trick involves using a little util called Trayer (a less recent version of which has no expiration date) and the command-line seti client for winnt. On win98 you set it up in the registry as a RunServices service, and in winnt you set it up just in Run. If you have win95 you have to install the most recent version of Winsock in order for the winnt seti client to connect correctly. Setup is also easier if you don't have to go through a proxy.

The RunServices route in win98 means the client is always on, even before anyone logs in. The Run route in winnt means that it's only on after the first person logs into nt and turns off when they log off, unless you have a novell netware setup, in which case it will keep running if they are logged into NT but have logged off netware. (RunServices doesn't work in NT.)

If you have the reskit, instsrv etc., I think you can make it run so it doesn't even show up on the task list. I'm not too clear on this way of doing it because I don't have access to the reskit. With the Trayer workaround it does show up in the task list, but the usual idea is to give both the seti cliest and Trayer different names making them look like standard windows voodoo, such as "syslog" and "ncp32" or the like. This way if people do look at the task list (it's disabled on the machines I run it on) they will only see names they have no idea what mean and which might be important processes that are keeping their computer running.

Fill me in on your network setup and I'll post the applicable package to get it going.

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2000, 09:03 PM

cwasko, there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to their update schedule these days... it used to be quite frequent it seems to me... now, all too often SETI Checker is not able to pull certain data from Berkeley...

i too am very curious to see what happens on the next update

cwasko
Senior User
Sep 19, 2000, 09:48 PM

I got too torqued about not knowing where we are. So, i used SETI Checker to save the stats for us, and the 3 teams 'ahead' of us. It seems as though SETI Checker gets *ALL* the data for *ALL* the users on the team. I didn't realize this before.... Well, not only have we blown past OCN, but we also blew by alt.2600 AND The Internet Infidels.

We have aprox. 98500 WU's and the guys below us, The Internet Infidels, have aprox 94000.

Good work team! we ROCK!

[This message has been edited by cwasko (edited 09-19-2000).]

Moof
Sep 21, 2000, 12:01 AM

I have all NY 4.0 machines at my soon to be former place on employment.

Fill me in.

Moof

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2000, 12:18 AM

well, what the...? SETI Checker still tells me that we are behind OCN, etc

SETI Checker on my Mac does not give me data corresponding to yours, cwasko!

WHAT GIVES??

cwasko
Senior User
Sep 21, 2000, 12:55 AM

SETI Checker on my Mac does not give me data corresponding to yours, cwasko!

WHAT GIVES??
This is what I did:

Under the 'Team' tab, I entered 'Overclockers Network' rather than 'Team MacNN'. Then, I clicked 'Connect'. After it was finished connecting, I then went to the 'File' menu, then 'Export' and then 'Team "Overclockers Network"'. It prompted me for either 'tab' delimited or 'xml'. I choose 'tab' delimited.

I did this procedure for us and each of the people 'infront' of us. Then, I brought the data into Excel, totaled it up... and... as of this writing (00:54 EST) we have 99249 and OCN has 94442. hehe!

Like I said, we ROCK!

[This message has been edited by cwasko (edited 09-21-2000).]

wlonh  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2000, 01:20 AM

ah, well done cwasko...

and yeah, TEAM MacNN rocks the known universe!

crunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcr unchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrun chcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunch crunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunch crunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcr unchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrun chcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunch crunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunch crunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcr unchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrun chcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunchcrunch

OoklaTheMok
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 23, 2000, 12:47 AM

OK, here's the full install for the hidden winnt seti. right here, 239 k

If you have access to the reskit with instsrv and srvany, don't follow these directions. Instead, read the Seti Tweak Guide at Ars Technica. It may need some modification to work in your setup.

What I have here is basically a package that you can put on a zip disk, floppy, or on a network drive to use as a fast installer. It includes both a .bat and a .reg file, named AIM.bat and AIM.reg. The bat file installs the client and gets it running the first time; the .reg file makes sure the client will run in the background every time the machine is logged into.

You must put your own user_info.sah file in the folder syslognt in this package. If you don't, all work units done with this install will be credited to me instead of to you. I would like that, but you wouldn't, and neither would wlonh.

The file sysl0g.pif is where you put any necessary command line arguments for the client. If you need a proxy set, put it here in the Program tab on the cmd line box. (For a proxy you would add "-proxy myproxy.mydomain.com:9999" where 9999 is whatever port you need, without the quotation marks, after "CWinnt\SYSLOG\syslog.exe "

If you want added security, rename Trayer.exe to something more opaque like "ndc32.exe" Be sure then to change the .bat and .reg accordingly.

syslog.exe is the renamed setiathome client. Trayer.exe is the program used to make sure the client does not show up in the task bar (/hidebutton=2), the tray (/hideicon=2) and that the close box on the seti client is disabled.

Right now the bat is set up to run from the "U" drive; change this accordingly as well.

This install works on WinNT 4 and works best with Novell Netware installed.

If you want to use this install method on Win 95, make sure you have Winsock 2.0 installed, and follow the directions for Win98.

For Win98, in the .reg file change "Run" to "RunServices". Also change "winnt" to "windows" in the bat and the pif files. Furthermore, you will have to surf into your Windows directory and find Conagent.exe. In the properties for it in the Misc tab, uncheck "Warn before terminating." If you don't do this, whenever people try to shut down the computer it will tell them it can't close syslog.exe. This is not a problem in winnt.

You may have to do additional tweaking as well. This install must be done manually on one computer at a time. Now you know why I don't get thousands of WU done per day! If you know more about systems administration I'm sure you'll be able to find a way to copy this install to hundreds of computers at a time. But if you are not an administrator, this is still a convenient way to install the client quickly and hidden on single machines.

Remember, the SETI license agreement asks you not to install the client on any machine for which you don't have permission. Use under peril of your own conscience.

[edit: The shortcut Manager, which opens Trayer with the parameter "/manager", is for if you need to stop syslog from running on a machine. Double-clicking it will show all things currently hidden by Trayer. Right click on one of them to show, exit, etc. This is useful for when the 3.0 client comes out and you must upgrade all your syslogs.]

[This message has been edited by OoklaTheMok (edited 09-23-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules