Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > just joined..help optimize me!!

just joined..help optimize me!!
gumby5647
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2000, 04:14 PM

Hey there fellow crunchers.....i just joined today and i want to help as much as i can. i am asking that you help optimize my system so my time doesn't drag the team down. here is what i got.

Indigo iBook:
366Mhz
256k onchip cache
96 MB Ram VM off
No ram disk
and
disk cache is at defualt.

please help optimize me and let the cruching begin!!!
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2000, 04:40 PM

well there are many tips in the SETI readme that accompanies the downloaded client...

mainly, always run as a screensaver and set it to go to blank screen after one minute (in prefs settings)

download LibMotoSh and drop it onto the System Folder icon, LibMotoSh is available here:
http://www.mot.com/SPS/PowerPC/suppo...g_macuser.html

and you can try to overclock your L2 cache using software solutions made to do this... XLR8's Mach Speed Control is the best, imo...

XLR8's Mach Speed Control: http://xlr8.com/support/cpuupgrades/DL-MAChSpeed.html

powerlogix cache profiler: http://www.powerlogix.com/support/software.html

both of the above are L2 overclocker softwares

one other thing to speed up SETI: for an example, before you go to bed quit all background processes and the Finder then launch SETI as screensaver(using keyboard command to launch SETI as screensaver), you can use freeware Process Guard to do quit background processes and the Finder... available here:
http://www.illenberger.net/fearonni/...cessguard.html

and of course, search this forum for more tips as they have been repeatedly posted... also see:

http://www.flex.com/~daniel/SETI/

and poke around the SETI homepage for other links to related websites: http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 10-12-2000).]

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 10-13-2000).]

gumby5647  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2000, 05:00 PM

my apologies...i did not see the post down the page about optimizing.....agian im sorry.....

Ignore my first question.....
here is a new question?

Now that i have my ibook should i be nice and give my grandma the computer and get her hooked on macs? or keep it and use it soley for SETI?
4GB RAM
160GB

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2000, 06:16 PM

well that would have to be your call... and it is a tough one...

how computer literate is your g'ma? has she ever used a computer?

and which model Mac are we talking about here?

mleroux01
Oct 12, 2000, 11:31 PM

Howdy... Mumble01 here.

BTW, that libmoto link is broken and I can't find a replacement. Is the performance boost really worth dropping some extension into the System Folder? Will it screw up any other programs in OS 9? And what about the cache enhancements? I have the same questions above about them. Will they work on my little iMac DV?

Man, SETI's stats pages have been unreliable lately. Maybe we shouldn't bother keep track of MacNN's club ranking and instead root for progress on the "All Groups" list, where we're currently at 115 and threatening to break into the Top 100.

I don't know about leaving your computer on to run SETI all night. I know it is for a good cause, but I used to do the same thing until I watched a PBS NOVA special about global warming. I then decided to join the "Give Earth Less Carbon Dioxide" project by conserving the coal it would take to generate enough electricity to run my iMac at home or my NT box at work every night.

Mike

[This message has been edited by mleroux01 (edited 10-13-2000).]

wlonh
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2000, 01:07 AM

LIBMOTO LINK FIXED

PLEASE, i would not suggest these things if they were detrimental and some say they see an increase with LibMoto and others say not... the ONLY true final judge is YOU

i share your fears about global warming and yet i leave my Macs on all the time, do as you wish.

thanks for joining our team

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 10-13-2000).]

mleroux01
Oct 13, 2000, 08:37 AM

Impatience isn't a good quality for a Moderator, especially when dealing with newcomers who have not yet read all of the posts. I *did* do a search for LibMoto but couldn't find an post that answered the question satisfactorily. Hence, the question.

And the other parts of my message were opinions, not requests for advice.

gumby5647  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 13, 2000, 09:28 AM

ok well, i pulled the imac out of the box and i am going to hold off on sending it to grandma for awhile.....so i now have two mac's crunching numbers for us.

the ibook as seen above and a Rev. A iMac
233Mhz
64MB
6MB VRAM
4GB
crunching 24/7!!!!
crunch n' munch! YUM!
4GB RAM
160GB

Forum Links