Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Radio Frequency Interference issues

Radio Frequency Interference issues
wlonh
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2000, 09:27 AM

i posted some info on this in another thread some time ago... here's some more:

"J.B. Alder reports on some RFI issues with his new G4/Studio Display system:

"I just got my G4/450 Dual with the new 15" Studio LCD display. Love it - but there is no question that some RFI issues exist ... if I use my FR50 Motorola Family radio anywhere around the computer bad things happen. As soon as you key the mic the mouse jumps. Within a matter of seconds the system either shuts off or goes to sleep. If it shuts off it does so w/o a proper shutdown. Given the lights I see blinking on the monitor I think the RFI is wrecking havoc with the monitor, which in turn is telling the tower to go away."

(taken from MacInTouch)

Dalgo
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2000, 04:57 PM

Wow. I'm not sure if that is normal. I'm basing this on the amount of RFI that my G4 produces. It's much less than any other mac (pre iMac) that I've used. I just assumed that the G4 was really well shielded. Unlike my other macs, it never ever interferes with anything that I use. (TV, radio, portable phones, walkie talkies, etc.)

My first instinct would be to get the radio that you described tested to see if it meets FCC regulations. After that, I guess that my question is what frequency were you trying to broadcast at? The walkie talkie that I had, although it was <1Watt interfered with my TV but not my computer. It broadcast at ~50Mhz. My portable phone, also low power, is ~900 Mhz. I 'd be interested in seeing what frequency actually causes interference.

JSD303
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 10, 2000, 06:42 PM

I have a new MPG4 and the 15" Flat Screen with no RFI problems. I have a Sony 900Mhz phone and have no issues using it around the monitor. Very impressed with the TFTs performance in games, DVD etc. Seems 900Mhz is okay around the new monitors.

Just thought I'd throw in my experience.

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 12, 2000, 02:35 AM

At a TV station I used to work at we could key a walkie talkie close to a satellite receiver and make it change channels!

Your Motorola radio uses UHF spectrum and transmits at 0.5 watts. It might not be the actual frequency of the output, but another oscillating circuit inside the radio.

Take your radio to a local Apple dealer and see how the cubes fare there... if nothing else it might be fun to see the sales drones run around...

drewman

Forum Links
Forum Rules