Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > shutdown = restart, etc...

shutdown = restart, etc...
wlonh
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2000, 10:29 AM

reports of computers that restart instead of turning off, when Shut Down is selected. Apple's updated TIL article #58171 offers advice. Apple cites USB devices as a primary cause.

In this regard, Dave Marsh had this problem with his new G4. He eventually linked it to the USB Harman/Kardon SoundSticks speaker system he had connected to the G4. When he moved the speaker connection to his external USB hub, the problem disappeared.

Steve Ross reported that his FireWire PowerBook restarted after shut down if he immediately also turned off the Epson USB printer connected to the PowerBook.

(from macfixit)

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2000, 12:36 PM

Had that problem with my machine, and after trying out different combinations and restarting oh, no less than 5 times, I found the problem was my USB hub...I think it sends a back-surge of power through the USB port, and making the computer treat it as if there was a power-surge of sort, so it restarts itself...really annoying considering I have the scanner, printer, and digi-cam connected to the hub, which is kept at some hidden place that's almost impossible to find...its a pain to remember to unplug/plug those things...

Oh, and lastly, anyone else have their computer freeze for 'bout 15-20 seconds when hot-swapping USB devices? it doesn't crash or anything, but I'm just wondering how "normal" such behavior is...
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

Forum Links
Forum Rules