Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > USB to GSM adapter for use with cellphone

USB to GSM adapter for use with cellphone
wlonh
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2000, 09:08 AM

Per Olsen found a USB-to-GSM adapter, Palladio USB, that allowed him to connect his iBook to the Internet via GSM-based cell phones:

"The product comes in configurations with cables for Nokia, Ericsson or NEC phones (maybe more?). The fact that it is a USB product, makes it a very flexible product, since it will work on all computers with USB - even G4's (if you need to move your workstation into the middle of nowhere)."

(from macintouch)

SteveF
Oct 3, 2000, 02:09 PM

I realize the original post is a bit dated, but in the off-chance that the original poster is still around, I'd like to confirm the following in regards to getting on the internet with an iBook using a cell phone:

Along with an existing GSM-capable cell phone, the Palladio USB Kit 1 (www.digicom.it/english/products/tables/gsmusb.htm), in which a USB and a GSM cable are supplied, is ALL that is required in order to enable internet access from an iBook. Period. No additional adapter necessary? I can expect to get online immediately with just the Palladio USB Kit (and existing cell phone)?

(There have been several threads and so many confusing posts about this subject, thus, seeking confirmation here.)

- Steve

iPaul UK
Senior User
Oct 3, 2000, 02:42 PM

It's a nice idea but.. Getting on the internet at 9600bps!? I don't think so!

SteveF
Oct 3, 2000, 02:56 PM

It would be for occasional e-mail retrieval/sending aboard a boat, perhaps a couple times a month. The built-in modem will be used the vast majority of the time, when on land. Yes, 9600 is slow, but to check text-based e-mails, it'll do fine. Plan to do all web-surfing on mainland, none on board.

- Steve

LordSegan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2000, 02:10 PM

http://www.teleadaptusa.com/nme/orde...ookusbcdma.htm

ibook CDMA modem adapter.. in case you have Sprint like me

SteveF
Oct 9, 2000, 12:45 PM

This may work. But will Sprint's VoiceStream option be required? I understand VoiceStream coverage is lousy (i.e., have to be in, or near, metropolitian areas). This won't work for me if VoiceStream is required.

- SF

Forum Links
Forum Rules