Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I seriously don't get these Hollywood types ....

I seriously don't get these Hollywood types ....
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2012, 10:45 AM

"Spartacus" is ending? That sound you hear is a loud "Nooooo!" from the collective consciousness of the "Spartacus" fandom.

Starz has revealed that the next season of the hit gladiator drama will be its last. Season 3 of the show, titled "Spartacus: War of the Damned," will arrive in January 2013, and once those 10 episodes are done airing, that's it. No more twisted betrayals among Romans and their oppressed gladiators and slaves; no more sweaty, muscular warriors wielding an impressive array of sharp implements; no more epic battles featuring creative dismemberments and oceans of blood.

It's shocking but true: "Spartacus," which garnered a passionately devoted following and impressive ratings for Starz, will be over for good by the spring of 2013.

"Steven DeKnight, Rob Tapert, Josh Donen and Sam Raimi have made one of the most groundbreaking shows we have ever seen," Starz CEO Chris Albrecht said in a statement. "We are in agreement with our partners in the decision to conclude the story after ‘War of the Damned,’ as we believe it is the best way to maintain the integrity of the series and secure its legacy. While everyone may know the fate of Spartacus, we believe this will be a spectacular season that will startle, amaze and honor the legions of fans.”
'Spartacus' Ending After Season 3: Show Creator On Why The Starz Gladiator Drama Is Over

Here's a show that averaged more than 6 million viewers each week and aired in 150 countries around the world. Off the charts in popularity. Nevertheless, the executive producer just decides to cancel it out of the blue for no apparent reason.

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2012, 11:16 AM

I can see them wanting to die young and leave a pretty corpse, but it is odd they didn't squeeze out the magical syndication number of five seasons.

At least it's not the suits. Since it's popular, the team can go on to do whatever they want. I also think the choice of the word "legacy" in their press release is notable.

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2012, 12:12 PM

Yeah it's definitely not the suit this time. But still. The show is far from jumping the shark. I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised given the huge number of major characters that were bumped off in this season's finale.

OAW

P
Jun 4, 2012, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I can see them wanting to die young and leave a pretty corpse, but it is odd they didn't squeeze out the magical syndication number of five seasons.
The magic syndication number is not so much 5 seasons as 100 episodes, although that has been adjusted down to something like 88 recently. A show that does 10 shows per season won't reach that number anyway.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

andi*pandi
Jun 4, 2012, 12:36 PM

Maybe they care less about syndication now that DVD sales are a big thing.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2012, 12:48 PM

I'm sure the lead actor developing cancer and dying didn't help.

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2012, 01:21 PM

^^^^^

Certainly not. But this latest season was with a new actor. And it had even better ratings than the first season with the original actor. So clearly the new actor was embraced by the fans. This move here is about as inexplicable as HBO canceling its hugely popular Rome series after only two seasons.

OAW

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2012, 01:34 PM

Or FOX canceling Firefly after 3/4 of 1 season.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2012, 01:57 PM

I not at all surprised they cancelled Firefly.

P
Jun 4, 2012, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Actually syndication is bigger than ever, because all over the world there are local channels looking to fill daytime hours with some sort of content. The buy some show with infinite reruns and run it constantly for years. 100 episodes means 100 weekdays means 20 weeks, which is long enough that they can just start over when they run out.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

P
Jun 4, 2012, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
This move here is about as inexplicable as HBO canceling its hugely popular Rome series after only two seasons.
Actually that was easily explained: It was crazy expensive to make, and they used up the best known historical events in the first two series. They rushed to the death of Caesar at the end of season 1, and to the "crowning" of Augustus at the end of season 2. After that it's basically Augustus ruling in peace for the rest of his life, except for losing one battle and worrying about his successor. Oh, and some guy being born, but that's story has been milked.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2012, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
As I understand it, DVD sales aren't usually even taken into consideration when a show is cancelled. If the makers or a big star just decide they want to go do something else then thats one thing, otherwise it some down to ratings which equals ad revenue for the network. DVD, download, on demand and even overseas broadcast aren't usually factored in to the decision.
Its difficult for a show to switch networks when cancelled because the original broadcast network often owns some kind of IP on the show.

Its a really weird business model and apparently the few shows that make it to 100 eps and syndication make enough money to pay for all the ones which don't make it that far and are therefore considered flops. It would be good if a studio could bankroll more of a show in advance and sell it to a network then sell it to another network if it got dropped. As things stand there is never any negotiation over a show. You'd think it would be possible for a network to say "the ratings aren't great, could we make it for less money?" Then the makers and stars could decide if they want to keep the job for a pay cut or stop and move on. This never seems to happen. They just axe it.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 4, 2012, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I not at all surprised they cancelled Firefly.
Aside from tinkering with something they supposedly gave Joss "creative control" on, not airing episodes logically, and ignoring the fact that they had a Buffy-like cash cow on their hands, I'm not at all surprised the cancelled Firefly. Because they're Fox and they have a collective mind like a bag full of cats. Oooo. I should use that phrase somewhere big and impressive...

Oh... Never mind.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2012, 09:34 PM

I was listening to the composer/sound designer for Firefly talk about how he felt the concept was so ideal for television he expected to have a job for the next decade.

He called it "the perfect show".

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2012, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Because they're Fox and they have a collective mind like a bag full of cats. Oooo. I should use that phrase somewhere big and impressive...
This is insulting to cats.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2012, 11:05 AM

And bags.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 5, 2012, 03:36 PM

Yes, you should correct your statement to the following:

Fox have a collective mind like a turd-full of surgically removed warts.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2012, 03:39 PM

Collective mind implies that which doesn't exist.

And it's offensive to turds.

Forum Links
Forum Rules