Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Bluetooth

Bluetooth
allmodconz
Dec 9, 2003, 08:12 PM

Contemplating buying an iBook in the next month or two...

I'm still on the fence in regards to the bluetooth option...

what kind of peripherals do you guys use with the bluetooth module?
--------------------------------
eMac / 80 gig HD /1Ghz G4/ 1 GB memory / OS X.3 / Superdrive / 40 gig iPod Photo
READ MY BLOG: www.informationleafblower.com/blog

dracoleb
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 9, 2003, 11:54 PM

I don't have any bluetooth peripherals, but you never know when you might pick up a bluetooth phone, PDA, mouse, or whatever they come up with during the life of your iBook, good to know it's there.
"To create a new standard takes something that's not just a little bit different. It takes something that's really new and captures people's imaginations. Macintosh meets that standard"- Bill Gates

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2003, 12:00 AM

not to mention that the internal bluetooth is a build only option, i dont think there is any internal way to add bluetooth later on if its not BTO. go for it. im of the mind that BT is going to be big.

richie k
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2003, 02:13 AM

So far, I have a BT phone, BT headset for the phone, and BT enabled PDA. They all work together. An iBook with BT is on the way. I am not sure how BT on the iBook will fit in. I know it will be used for internet activity through the phone and possibly syncing with the PDA.

Daniel_R
Dec 10, 2003, 02:51 AM

I have one of the older 600Mhz iBooks with an external USB Bluetooth adaptor (one of the class 1/A 100 metre variety) and use it with a Sony Ericsson T610.

Its great, and I've found that the integration between iSync, Address Book and iCal is pretty much seamless. The Bluetooth implementation under OS X is the best out there among other operating systems (ok, thats non-authoritive and my own personal opinion )

I also highly recommend Salling Clicker if you have a Sony Ericsson phone or BT enabled Palm.

To get the internal BT or not:
Yes. I find that while the external bluetooth adapter works without any problems, its a bit of a pain if you take your iBook with you a lot - you need to unplug, cart around and then plug the adaptor back in. And theres the chance that if you have a bit of a mishap and give the adaptor sticking out a decent bump, you could physically damage your USB port.

I think its been discussed here (or on the PowerBook forum??) that the internal BT adaptor is a "a get a purchasing time or not at all" thing. If I remember correctly, you cannot add or purchase separately the internal BT adaptor after the machine has been built (I may be wrong on this, but I'm sure thats right).

Then again, if you know you're never going to use BT, save the $$$.

Personally: my next iBook/Powerbook will have the internal adaptor - its just more practical and durable.

Cheers.
-- iBook Dual USB 600MHz/384MB/20G/DVD-CDRW
-- PowerBook G4 15" 1.25GHz/1GB/80GB/DVD-R
-- PowerMac 9600/300 300MHz/96MB/2+3+4GB/CD/ OS X 10.1.5, 9.2.1
-- iPod 15GB, 3rd Generation

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2003, 05:56 AM

Originally posted by allmodconz:
Contemplating buying an iBook in the next month or two...

I'm still on the fence in regards to the bluetooth option...

what kind of peripherals do you guys use with the bluetooth module?
I'm using Apples Bluetooth mouse and keyboard while at home. I also sync iCal and adressbook to my phone (SonyEricsson T68i). While on the road, I use my phone as a GPRS modem connected to my iBook by bluetooth. Also the phone can be controlled from Addressbook while connected. Very good for SMS and making quick calls.

Go for the Bluetooth option. It is worth it. Although you may not see its uses now, you may regret not going for Bluetooth at a later stage.

Sophus

Ohenri
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2003, 03:24 PM

BT all the way...

how much more is it as an add-on?? Regardless, worth every penny. I liken this to when Apple was starting to push Airport Tech on us. You might not think so now - esp if you do not have any BT capable handhelds, but wait until you do.

I have a PISMO for which I have a D-Link BT dongle. I sync my Palm T all the time via BT. Awesome. You will find worth while apps eventually. Believe me. Just put the little bit out now, you'll be happy you did. My BT adapter takes up a USB port - which is annoying @ times (mouse takes up the other). That is why the next lap will be BT'd all the way.

H!
--
En Guarde!

cryon
Dec 11, 2003, 05:02 PM

I have a palm tungsten t and it's really great to be able to hotsync with bluetooth.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2003, 10:40 PM

I'd get built in Bluetooth just because you can't add it later without "wasting" a USB port. My next computer will definitely have BT built in for use with wireless mouse, keyboard, Palm, and whatever else comes out. Remember, it's a new technology right now, but there's plenty of good stuff sure to come out in the next year or two.
So, for the small cost of getting it built in, I'd go for it now so I don't feel sorry later.

jmoonb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2003, 01:00 AM

Personally bluetooth is not worth the money unless you have existing hardware that uses it. IMHO, just get the airport card. It will be able to do everything the bluetooth can with longer range and higher bandwidth. However if you plan on buying a wireless mouse, keyboard or bt enabled cell phone now, then get the bluetooth. 802.11 devices aren't available just yet.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2003, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by jmoonb:
Personally bluetooth is not worth the money unless you have existing hardware that uses it. IMHO, just get the airport card. It will be able to do everything the bluetooth can with longer range and higher bandwidth. However if you plan on buying a wireless mouse, keyboard or bt enabled cell phone now, then get the bluetooth. 802.11 devices aren't available just yet.
BT and AirPort are for different purpose. I don't think, peripherals like keyboards and mice will ever be built for Bluetooth.

Original poster: Get Bluetooth.

jmoonb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2003, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by andreas_g4:
BT and AirPort are for different purpose. I don't think, peripherals like keyboards and mice will ever be built for Bluetooth.

Original poster: Get Bluetooth.
Actually both can do the same things. 802.11 can do peripherals as bluetooth can do networking (provided you have bt accesspoints every 10m ). The big difference is that bluetooth is limited to roughly ~10 m radius and ~750 kbps data transfers, while 11b is up to ~100m and ~11mbps.

Also people seem to have a misconception that 802.11 devices will use more battery. In actuality the signal and bandwidth will change accordingly to the distance and device requirements (zdnet is full of retards).

Personally there is no device out in the market that justifies getting a bt. I guess syncing is pretty neat and I guess you could get a mouse.. if you can afford $140 cnd and you like carrying around extra weight (hub/recharger).

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2003, 11:02 PM

Consider what Bluetooth replaces: infrared (IR). Think about remotes. What if there was a standard? This is just a bit of forward thinking.

When I got my AirPort card, my home was not equipped with an AirPort network, I didn't often go to Starbucks for coffee (they didn't have the service when I got my iBook, I believe). Now my home has an AirPort network, I'm able to connect to the Internet at hotels wirelessly.

What about where there are no hot spots? Bluetooth and your cell phone can get you online with data service (with high-speed becoming more affordable).

It's just something to consider: will you be using gadgets with your iBook?
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

PCTek
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 16, 2003, 03:28 AM

Actually both can do the same things. 802.11 can do peripherals as bluetooth can do networking (provided you have bt accesspoints every 10m ). The big difference is that bluetooth is limited to roughly ~10 m radius and ~750 kbps data transfers, while 11b is up to ~100m and ~11mbps.
Nobody makes an 802.11 keyboard or mouse. Almost all wireless peripherals are going to be RF or Bluetooth.

Personally there is no device out in the market that justifies getting a bt.
Keyboard. Mouse. Cell Phone (synch + wireless modem + Salling Clicker). PDA. Printer.

I am going from an iBook with a Bluetooth dongle to an iBook G4 with it built-in and I can tell you that having it built-in is going to be WONDERFUL. No more digging around for the dongle, no more losing it, no more forgetting it. I HATE having to be cautious when it's plugged in that I don't knock it out or hit it.

Get the Bluetooth. Even if you decide to sell the iBook, it will bump the resale value.

dannyillusion
Forum Regular
Dec 16, 2003, 08:03 AM

Seems to me like airport might be a good idea for peripherals that require higher speeds like printers and scanners. But surely syncing devices like phones, pdas etc will continue to be done with bt for some time simply because it's a standard that has been widely adopted.

Also agree with previous poster about resell value.
DI

allmodconz  (op)
Dec 17, 2003, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by ccsccs7:

It's just something to consider: will you be using gadgets with your iBook?
My phone is through Verizon and they don;t have a bluetooth enabled phone i can use with my mac.
I use my iPod more as a PDA than I do my Palm v.
The Bluetooth mouse would be nice. I hate using the track pad thingy.
It's ony $50 so I'll most likely get it I was just trying to find out if someone had a bluetooth peripheral they couldn;t live without....

thanks all.
--------------------------------
eMac / 80 gig HD /1Ghz G4/ 1 GB memory / OS X.3 / Superdrive / 40 gig iPod Photo
READ MY BLOG: www.informationleafblower.com/blog

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2003, 04:39 AM

Here's a nice article talking about the usage of Bluetooth in devices.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2003, 02:16 PM

Well my suggestion is to get the Bluetooth pre-installed. If you don't use it then just disable it. YOu never know when you may get a Bluetooth device. You may get one down the road and have to spend the 50 bucks anyway. I use the Bluetooth for my Cell phone. Gotta love not having to use those tiney keypads to enter info. Down the road you may want to get a bluetooth mouse. If you do then you would still need the bluetooth dongle in order to use it. The other thing about buying the dongle is that it is another thing to lose. if it's built in there is no part to lose. and you don't have another thing sticking out the side of your iBook. That is one of the reasons I'mn getting the powerbook is because it comes built in standard accoring the Apple.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Forum Links
Forum Rules