Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Patchday: Security Update 2006-003

Patchday: Security Update 2006-003
TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 04:44 PM

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303737

Several "security" enhancements. Also new is QuickTime 7.1 which I would not consider an application.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
May 11, 2006, 08:09 PM

Installed. I feel secure.

VValdo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2006, 09:07 PM

<i>Installed. I feel secure.</i>

Just don't make any domestic phone calls

Installing now...

W

VValdo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2006, 09:19 PM

Installed. Seems to work.

W

FireWire
Mac Elite
May 11, 2006, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by VValdo
<i>Installed. I feel secure.</i>

Just don't make any domestic phone calls

Installing now...
Just a friendly reminder for the next time: the forum uses square brackets [ ] instead of angle (chevron) brackets < > for formatting, as it is the case in HTML (see this page for more information). In addition, you can use the [quote=the_nick] ... [/quote] function instead of manually copying the text. You can click the icon just above the selected post to do this automatically. Finally, you can your post instead of creating a new one if you want to add some information later.

As for the update, I will wait a few days before I install it, as usual.

HouseSold
Senior User
May 12, 2006, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by FireWire
Just a friendly reminder for the next time: the forum uses square brackets [ ] instead of angle (chevron) brackets < > for formatting, as it is the case in HTML (see this page for more information). In addition, you can use the function instead of manually copying the text. You can click the icon just above the selected post to do this automatically. Finally, you can your post instead of creating a new one if you want to add some information later.

As for the update, I will wait a few days before I install it, as usual.
Probably a good move to wait; My iMac Duo is running 10 degrees F hotter than before the updates were installed. Fans came on for the first time ever.

I am looking to reverting back right now.

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2006, 02:47 AM

After updating the latest security update and Quicktime 7.1, I'm having an odd problem with DVD Videos. When I put in a DVD Video Disc now, it won't show up on the desktop. The DVD Player launches but doesn't play the DVD video disc, it just lauches up the DVD Player in widowed screen mode with a black screen.

Is anyone else having DVD video & DVD Player problems as well after both the SU 2006-003 security update and quicktime 7.1 update? Or am I the only one?

Some feedback would be appreciated, esp. from PowerPC users running Tiger 10.4.6 with the latest Security Update and Quicktime 7.1.

Edit:
Even though the DVD Video disc doesn't appear on the desktop, I can still use VLC Player to watch my DVD Video discs.

Regular DVDs and CDs mount and appear on the Desktop without problems though.
( Last edited by MacGallant; May 12, 2006 at 03:18 AM. )
PowerMacG4 MDD Dual867Mhz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
2GB Ram, 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro, 80GB HD & 160GB HD
MacBook Black: Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2006, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by HouseSold
Probably a good move to wait; My iMac Duo is running 10 degrees F hotter than before the updates were installed. Fans came on for the first time ever.

I am looking to reverting back right now.
Err, how do you know what temperature your iMac is running at? I thought the Intel Macs didn't have any temperature sensor on board?
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2006, 10:49 AM

I ran this S.U. to an old Pismo I have sitting here, the S.U. installation stalled before completed and know the Pismo is unable to start up.

I see a blue screen, then later, for a second I can see a full screen Terminal alike mode, as if you start up the Mac as single user mode, but it lasts less than a second though… then blue again, nothing happens.

Trying to start up as single user mode gives me nothing, 'nada', you don't get such expected terminal mode.

Do I need to reinstall 10.4 on it? This is annoying, nothing went wrong with the first Mac where I firstly ran the S.U.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 12, 2006, 10:52 AM

I was able to start it up with Mac OS 9 holding the option key down… but I guess there is nothing I can do from Mac OS 9 to solve this Mac OS X issue…

HouseSold
Senior User
May 12, 2006, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by andretan
Err, how do you know what temperature your iMac is running at? I thought the Intel Macs didn't have any temperature sensor on board?

I use Hardware Monitor to watch the temperature; Although the numeric indication I keep in the menu bar may not be the processor temp, it is a relative reading better than the test the temp with 'hand on the forehead method' (feeling the back side/front side if the iMac from time to time) and watching activity monitor.

X Resource Graph is very versatile and allows you to watch fan RPM's.

2 resources for you:
http://www.gauchosoft.com/Software/X...ource%20Graph/
http://www.bresink.com/

Great widget also

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
May 12, 2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by HouseSold
I use Hardware Monitor to watch the temperature; Although the numeric indication I keep in the menu bar may not be the processor temp, it is a relative reading better than the test the temp with 'hand on the forehead method' (feeling the back side/front side if the iMac from time to time) and watching activity monitor.

X Resource Graph is very versatile and allows you to watch fan RPM's.

2 resources for you:
http://www.gauchosoft.com/Software/X...ource%20Graph/
http://www.bresink.com/

Great widget also
Thanks. I'm using MenuMeters (which is great too).

I believe the only temperature sensor the Mac app devs can get hold at the moment is the one for the harddrive, which isn't what I'm looking for.

mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

TheTraveller
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2006, 01:58 PM

I applied QuickTime 7.1 and the security update on my Intel Mac Mini Core Duo - no problems.

FireWire
Mac Elite
May 16, 2006, 06:30 AM

Any other positive experiences with this update and QuickTime 7.1? Especially with PowerPC computers?

I like to apply the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy, but I don't like being behind when security is in question...

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2006, 05:58 AM

Well, I had to re-install 10.4 in the Pismo due to that issue with the Sec. Update.

No issues with the G4 MDD.

Forum Links
Forum Rules