Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Modern Warfare 2 thread

Modern Warfare 2 thread (Page 15)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 4, 2009, 01:34 PM

You know what I've been seeing a lot of, though? People launching Stingers. Not exactly sure what the strategy there is. I'm assuming something Danger Close related.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2009, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
You know what I've been seeing a lot of, though? People launching Stingers. Not exactly sure what the strategy there is. I'm assuming something Danger Close related.
You mean javelins? Yeah... my explosive class is pretty fun to play.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 4, 2009, 03:20 PM

Yeah, javelins. But I don't think they're aiming at people most of the time (or aircraft).

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2009, 03:21 PM

I haven't seen alot of Stingers being launched but I've seen a few. I actually changed back my one launcher class from a Stinger to a HT rocket launcher, because I want to use it for both shooting down aircraft and shooting at bunkers/rooms.

Decided to create a riot shield class temporarily to try to get some of the riot shield challenges, too.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2009, 04:05 PM

I have a stinger class that I switch to once I get killed by a harrier or chopper. After firing at the harrier or chopper I set it to switch back so the next time I die I'm back to my regular class.

Does the Javelin require lock on to fire?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 4, 2009, 04:06 PM

Far as I understand, yes, but it can lock onto cars and people as well.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2009, 06:08 PM

Also, the launcher exploit has become pretty widespread, maybe that's what you're seeing?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2009, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by mdc View Post
I need to only play one game type per night, or not mix hardcore and regular.

I played a few hardcore games while waiting for some friends to log on last night and I ended up doing quite well in a few matches.

When my friends logged on they invited me to their TDM games and I was used to HC TDM so I was slowly walking around and didn't fire multiple bursts of my M16. So I kept getting killed when I got the jump on someone but they survived three shots of my M16, only to turn around and kill me.

HC and regular are very different games. I like that there aren't -- or I haven't yet encountered -- people randomly firing grenade launchers or throwing grenades around. I'm assuming this is because there is no map showing where people are whenever they fire, and the possibility of killing your own teammates. I'm enjoying not being killed by random grenade launchers.
Very different. The shoot and scoot part of hardcore is so difficult to adhere to in standard games because you never know if the guy will actually go down. I really do think that having to get six bullets into someone, even from a relatively medium range, is daft. Even a high powered sniper rifle can take two shots to kill someone in standard games. I cannot function using a fully automatic AR in TDM without having scavenger, I always run out of ammo. And I can't be that bad a shot, my accuracy rating doesn't seem to be too bad.
( Last edited by mattyb; Dec 6, 2009 at 06:05 AM. )

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2009, 06:43 AM

I have a stinger class that I switch to once I get killed by a harrier or chopper. After firing at the harrier or chopper I set it to switch back so the next time I die I'm back to my regular class.
I'm not too far from the 10000 points for (IIRC) 500 Helicopter kills with the Stinger. Its my secondary for all classes. Plus using Cold Blooded, you're the perfect aircraft assassin.

Last night I played with a group for a few hours and we didn't lose a match. Now I know how Dakar and sek rank up so quickly. Having a winning team, good k/d ratios etc really does bring in the bonus points. The only prob is people seeing 4 or 5 players with clan tags - they tend to quit so getting a game takes a while.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2009, 11:47 AM

To go back to what Dakar mentioned about the spawning. I just played a game where I spawned right in front of an enemy.
When I say right in front I mean right in front of him. The moment I spawned I clicked the right stick and got a knife kill.

That should never happen.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2009, 01:49 AM

To go back to what Dakar mentioned about the spawning. I just played a game where I spawned right in front of an enemy.
When I say right in front I mean right in front of him. The moment I spawned I clicked the right stick and got a knife kill.

That should never happen.
Yeah I had that happen a couple times. You spawn right in front of an enemy and they shoot you before you get a chance to do anything. You were lucky enough to get them first.

I saw a whole team using the Javelin glitch Saturday. I left after that game.

I also see there are alot of Prestige players. At least on Saturday in CTF.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2009, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
I saw a whole team using the Javelin glitch Saturday. I left after that game. I also see there are alot of Prestige players. At least on Saturday in CTF.
Haven't seen the glitch used yet.

There was a second or third level prestige on the other night. Don't think that he got more than 10 kills in a match against us.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2009, 02:08 PM

I've seen the javelin glitch a few times now, mostly after I kill somebody from behind...then I 'mysteriously' explode.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2009, 04:34 AM

OK, I've seen this glitch now. What a bunch of tosspots. There's a 24 hour ban apparently if you get caught, anyone here have a capture card?

Got to 69 after not playing on Saturday night. I seem to be crawling. I just don't get the scoring. boy8cookie is on 70 and on my friends list there is someone else with less points but 20 odd on 1st level of Prestige. So WTF is your score?

I find it more and more difficult to determine which map and weapon combination is my best. I go from the ridiculous to the sublime from match to match. 25-3 and then 2-15.

In hardcore TDM the sentry gun is officially useless - because everyone has cold-blooded.

I hate going between HC and non HC. The rythym is just so different due to having to spray for 10 mins before the tw@ dies - horrible. When someone has martyr its virtually impossible to kill them.

There is apparently another glitch in free-for-all, people don't die and therefore get nukes. Haven't seen this one myself.

Nearly a month gone since it came out. I still love it loads, but could do with some new maps.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2009, 01:02 PM

I had a great day yesterday, I think I only went negative one out of about 15 games I played.

First two games (Hardcore TDM) I went +15, thanks to getting my 4 kill care package which awarded me Chopper Gunner in back to back games.

Highlight of the day would have to be the match on Karachi that Bogues and Dakar were my teammates for (Regular TDM). We were losing quite badly for the first half of the game and all of sudden we completely shut the other team down. The match is tied at 7400 points as I get the game winning kill with a Predator Missile.

I'm 80,000 XP away from Prestige, and I really can't see why I would want to stay at 70. I mean, I'm going to miss Cold Blooded and Ninja Pro pretty badly, but besides that there aren't any weapons I can't live without and who gives a damn about challenges when you can't gain anymore XP.

I'm unsure on whether or not I'm going to play tonight, most likely just put in a few hours after work, guess I'll have to see what kind of mood I'm in.

Dakar, did you and boy8 play for a while after I signed off? If so I'd like to hear how much pwnage you guys dealt out.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2009, 03:51 PM

Dakar and I played together quite a bit over the weekend, maybe it was just me, but I felt like neither of us really got into a good groove. There was an abundance of disconnects and lobby resets that disrupted any rhythm we might have going. Add that to the fact we played a bunch of Clan kiddies running around with their Akimbo shotties (as host), and we were participants in some pretty abysmal matches.

That said, we both managed to put up some pretty good scores in a few matches. I extended my best kill-streak to 27 and Dakar finally managed to break 30 kills in a single TDM game.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2009, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I'm 80,000 XP away from Prestige, and I really can't see why I would want to stay at 70. I mean, I'm going to miss Cold Blooded and Ninja Pro pretty badly, but besides that there aren't any weapons I can't live without and who gives a damn about challenges when you can't gain anymore XP.
I stay at 70 for the b*tches

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2009, 04:29 PM

I'll just re-state the obvious. My Akimbo 1887 class is retarded, I feel they have better range than most SMGs, coupled with Slight of Hand and lightweight it's really quite overpowered.

I only started using them at level 68 and already I have over 120 kills with them.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2009, 05:30 AM

I'll just re-state the obvious. My Akimbo 1887 class is retarded, I feel they have better range than most SMGs, coupled with Slight of Hand and lightweight it's really quite overpowered.

I only started using them at level 68 and already I have over 120 kills with them.
I think that the shotgun ranges in general are much further than in CoD4.

Last night I played so badly, its embarrasing. I just wanted to prestige so much. I started games with 0-4 and then maybe get +2 or +3 +ve at the end. Very very bad. Even though I had 3 bars in soem games it felt really laggy. I rebooted twice and it still didn't feel 'right'.

I went to bed at 1am with approx 15,000 to get for Prestige. Hopefully I'll calm down a bit and enjoy it more, the last few days felt like I wasn't playing for the fun.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2009, 08:44 AM

I prestiged late last night and played a few games afterwards. I didn't break my killstreak high score but I did get my best K/D yet in a game, +21.

I like how they have a new set of challenges for each weapon and a entire new category called 'prestige.' Also, it's funny hpw they ask you if you are sure you want to prestige several times before you actually select 'prestige,' I guess quite a bit of people must have prestiged by accident in the past.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2009, 08:50 AM

I prestiged late last night and played a few games afterwards.
Dammit, knew that would happen. Still HC TDM?

j.donald
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 8, 2009, 11:20 AM

Only played multi till today

CoD seems more like a very large patch than another game. CoD2 to CoD4 is a big leap. MW to MW2 not so much. Yeah new weapons, new maps (lots of details, , and you can kill the chicks

only 2 player is the only hindrance

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2009, 11:50 AM

^ That post above looks very similar to something that I posted a while ago.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2009, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Only played multi so far, first impressions.

CoD fans will love it. Well maybe. It seems more like a very large patch than another game. CoD2 to CoD4 was a giant leap. MW to MW2 not so much. Yeah new weapons, new maps (lots of details, favela is really good with all the alleys), and you can kill the chickens.

The care package is good mixing ammo, or a predator missle or an AC-130, the points add up quickly but you need loads of points to rank up. Matchmaking takes longer, but (so far) I've had good performance in game ping wise.

Seems like I'm not alone in getting it early, loads of people on, Spaniards, Froggies, Greeks Germans etc.

You guys will love it. Right, got to get back to MW2 now
Ah yes, knew that I posted something. Did you mean to quote?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 8, 2009, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
Also, the launcher exploit has become pretty widespread, maybe that's what you're seeing?
No, I can confirm. On maps like Favela people just randomly launch the ****ers, I guess its the new grenade spamming, sort of.

Dakar, did you and boy8 play for a while after I signed off? If so I'd like to hear how much pwnage you guys dealt out.
No, I signed off the next game so i could watch VB. I love how you Bogues and I are the new old men. All logging off around midnight.

I think that the shotgun ranges in general are much further than in CoD4.
By far. There seems to be no subtlety to their ranges, which bothers me. They (mostly) feel like its all or none.

I like how they have a new set of challenges for each weapon and a entire new category called 'prestige.' Also, it's funny hpw they ask you if you are sure you want to prestige several times before you actually select 'prestige,' I guess quite a bit of people must have prestiged by accident in the past.
I think it's more of a bunch of people Prestiged not realizing you lose everything rather than gain something.

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
That said, we both managed to put up some pretty good scores in a few matches. I extended my best kill-streak to 27 and Dakar finally managed to break 30 kills in a single TDM game.
I managed to coincidentally match that streak later on this weekend. I was playing Merc TDM on Highrise, dropped my Harrier/Pavelow, and with a team that had no regard for their own lives managed to rack up an impressive streak. I think they just kept on a permanent offensive which lead to the other team being pushed outside where my air support was waiting. We won the game, but I was the only guy in the positive.

I also improved my best game to 34-3. (Also on Merc TDM). I have to say, officially, that after a month in Merc has become the JV of TDM. I use it to warm up when I log on. (I also play it when my new buddies are on, which was the case Sunday when sek sent me an invite).

...and now for observations:

• Estate - The way the maps is played has changed. Seemd like the epic sniper battles are all but gone. I now have more shotgun than sniper kills from defending the house so much.

• Stunned or flashed? Don't want give your position away by blind-firing? Pull out a semtex and hold it. If you survive you can de-equip it. If you're killed, you'll drop it, for a manual version of martydom. (Dick move, I know)

• Wasteland with a Cold-blooded/Silenced RPD can be quite effective with the right team. What's really hilarious is I usually sit on top of the bunkers, and I run Scrambler on that class (for the challenges), meaning anyone hiding inside is essentially blind.

• People are so proactive about Air-support I have less kills on cold-blooded this time round than last.

• UAV is getting rare. I wonder how many people above level 20 or so actually run it.

• I wish you could show/hide the HBS. It's so distracting, nevermind the screen real estate. I was using it on Scrapyard to warn me when people were nearing me in my perch in the warehouse, but the flip-side was anytime you're near the middle you're just going to be very confused.

• HBS on Terminal, however is genius. When I'm defending Burgertown, I now know how many enemies are around, and where. More importantly, I can catch people trying to flank via the bookstore, as Crosbie found out last night.

• Speaking of Crosbie, I may have bruises all over my body from last night. The ****er just kept detonating noob tubes against my body, incessantly. Seriously, if he killed me 15 times last night, 14 of them were via tube. There's only one defense against noob tubes - lag. Trust me, I know, because that's the only reason I don't take people with me sometimes.

• I repeat, there is nothing more fun than defending the bunker in Afghan.

• They need to fix their map randomization. Too often i will see Map A, Map B, Map A, Map D... We saw Wasteland 3 times in roughly 8 games last night. Also, too much Derail. It's not a bad map, but its so slow and limited.

• I accidentally got one of the Think Fast! challenges last night. Some dude must have been in last stand in the bunker on Wasteland, because I moved to toss a stun and I got a kill via "direct impact." Pretty funny.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2009, 12:00 PM

What does the JV mean?

I have to say, officially, that after a month in Merc has become the JV of TDM.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 8, 2009, 12:01 PM

Junior Varsity.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2009, 12:34 PM

I've read so much about MW2 lately that if I'm scanning over some text that prominently features words beginning with "M" and "W," I have to double-check to make sure I didn't just scan over something that is talking about MW2.

For instance, I thought I saw Modern Warfare as I glanced over Digg's front page a while ago...

Ridiculous. And I don't even own the game yet.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2009, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
IW pwn you.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 8, 2009, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Because you don't have a 360 yet, right? RIGHT?!

(See you December 26th)

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2009, 12:59 PM

On Uncharted 2? Sounds great.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 8, 2009, 01:03 PM

Sorry, I don't need a Blu-ray player for xmas.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2009, 01:24 PM

Afghan is my favorite sniper map, I was amazed how many kills I was able to rack up camping the wing in one of the first matches of yesterday night. Finally someone carefully made their way under me and killed me via bullet penetration, Crosbie was that you?

Terminal is Jekyll and Hyde for me. Some games I'm tearing ass in the back area with an LMG, other games I'm getting killed from every conceivable angle. It's not my least favorite map, but it's certainly my least consistent, right next to Highrise.

Prestiging went smooth, and I managed two 20+ kill games after resetting my rank. The weapon selection does not bother me, and even Ninja is alright to go without. My biggest problem? Getting killed by air support, I'm so damn used to Cold Blooded I forgot entirely that, yes, that harrier will now shoot and kill me.

Beside that the only weapon I'll miss for the time being is the M93 Raffica which, before prestiging, I had over 500 kills with. That's almost as much as any other weapon. If I'm sniping in Hc TDM I usually get half my kills with the Raffica.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2009, 01:28 PM

Dammit, knew that would happen. Still HC TDM?
It was mostly TDM yesterday. If there is nobody on to play with I'm always going to play HC, but the majority of the games last night were with Dakar (and Bogues and Crosbie) playing regular TDM.

I like HC better, but I've been able to get waaaay longer killstreaks in TDM. For example, my best K/D in HC is probably around +12, while last night I had a +21 game in TDM.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 8, 2009, 01:32 PM

That reminds me, I saw the absolute worst game on Afghan. Some 9 year-old whose gamertag i swear I recognized, got his ass destroyed on Afghan 0-27. Several times he was spotted on top of that sniper hill with a riot shield.

I don't think I've gone negative on Terminal since the first few days. No matter how bad my team is, I will get kills.

BTW, loved the Raffica killcam last night sek. You probably would have killed the guy quicker if you had just thrown it at him.

I definitely missed Ninja more than cold-blooded. I think i said it earlier, but hiding in a house for a minute isn't nearly as troubling as being found by HBS hunters. Just wait. Also, wait til you do a few complement of the maps before decreeing this Prestige easy. It wasn't an issue for me on most maps, but Wasteland was a terror at newb levels.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2009, 01:41 PM

BTW, loved the Raffica killcam last night sek. You probably would have killed the guy quicker if you had just thrown it at him.
Yeah, that was a pretty piss-poor example of my Raffica skillz, luckily that kid had no idea where I was despite the fact I got around 18 kills from the same f**king spot all game.

I definitely missed Ninja more than cold-blooded. I think i said it earlier, but hiding in a house for a minute isn't nearly as troubling as being found by HBS hunters. Just wait. Also, wait til you do a few complement of the maps before decreeing this Prestige easy. It wasn't an issue for me on most maps, but Wasteland was a terror at newb levels.
I hate Wasteland even at level 70, either it's a camp-fest or a mad rush to the center to battle in the tunnels which take up %1 of the map. As for HBS and Cold Blooded I know I'm going to get a lot less kills of unsuspecting jerks. Last night I got killed on Terminal, when I watched the killcam a kid was camping with the HBS and when I ran right in front of him he totally freaked out, emptied an entire AR at me and then finished me off with a shotgun blast. If I wasn't running Ninja I would have been killed much easier, I'm not looking forward to it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 8, 2009, 01:46 PM

I did enjoy earlier in the game when I heard the blast of sniper looked across the map and saw you on that wing in the distance.

The hilarious part is I'm self-inflicting kills trying to finish the Steady Aim and Scrambler challenges instead of using Ninja (though I'm liking the idea of using scrambler on Terminal since everyone has a good idea oh where you're going to be - just not how many of you).

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2009, 01:52 PM

Let it also be known that I am free after work until the usual bed time. Which means besides eating and occasionally going to the bathroom I'll be playing a marathon session.

Also, also, poor Crosbie last night, we should have backed out and invited him into our party so he could have enjoyed some extra wins...though there is something awesome about killing him over and over again. Of course, since he is one for the vendetta, more often than not he'll come get me after I kill him.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 8, 2009, 01:55 PM

Don't blame me, Bogues was Party Leader this time.

Though I have to admit, one thing I enjoy about Merc TDM is the random "will we be friend or foe?" aspect of the pairings. Of course, my friend and I are very competitive, so we enjoy murdering each other out of spite.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2009, 01:59 PM

Thats what I like about the game in general.

One match you are cursing Smok N Bluntz420 because he is camping and the next game there he is, camping for your team, which for some reason is less annoying.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 8, 2009, 02:01 PM

I think my three least favorite things to deal with are:

Noob tubers on better connections
Marathon Lightweight Commandos
Civil war vets (1887ers)

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 8, 2009, 02:05 PM

BTW, sek, I saw this and thought of you. It's a pretty awesome idea.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2009, 02:07 PM

My least favorite thing is the intermittent host migration. Also, I've seen it migrate host back to the same person again, and then a few minutes later the connection times out.

Anytime the game starts to lag I beg HM to pick me as host, not so I can get a leg up on everyone, but because my connection is awesome. Everytime I've done an internet speed test my latency is under 30ms.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2009, 02:09 PM

BTW, sek, I saw this and thought of you. It's a pretty awesome idea.

heh, pretty cool. I'd like to know how to unlock the braaaaaiiiins title.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 8, 2009, 02:12 PM

I posted this earlier: Callsigns - The Call of Duty Wiki - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Call of Duty 4, Call of Duty 2, characters, and more

Challenge: "Both Barrels" - Kill an enemy with the ranger by firing both barrels at the same time.

Not too difficult as they are the second most common akimbo shotgun combo to be found.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2009, 04:25 PM

I haven't been able to play too much over this past week because work has been really busy. I got to play a few games last night and I think I'm almost at level 48.

I played some HC TDM and ended the game 18-6 which -- while not amazing -- is my best so far and I got the challenge for ending the game with the most kills and least deaths.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2009, 05:03 PM

Well, plans have changed, expect me on from 10-12.

However, tomorrow is the new marathon day.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2009, 07:45 PM

I think I'll be on for a bit today, but I'm on some heavy pain medication so my reaction time might not be what it normally is.
My (brand new) car was struck by an SUV last night, I suffered cracked ribs, but no internal bleeding or anything of that nature. I'm sore all over today, but I'm mostly mad about my car.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2009, 07:58 PM

****in aye man, good to hear you're okay...not so good about your brand new car.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2009, 09:02 PM

Thanks, and yeah... it royally sucks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules