Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Problems with 10.5.2 needed to downgrade

Problems with 10.5.2 needed to downgrade
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2008, 10:59 AM

This I think for me had to be a first. I needed to downgrade from 10.5.2 to 10.5.1 and not install the graphics update.

There's a bunch of threads over in the apple discussions forum stating basically the issues I have.
My MacBook Pro's screen fails to come on when I open the case and wake it up.
Booting up the computer with an external monitor connected fails to get recognized correctly which means it will not run in the native resolution.
I cannot operate the computer with the lid closed (and the monitor connected)

All of that has been resolved by going back to 10.5.1 I love the archive and install option which worked like a charm but its too bad I had to go that route.

If anyone else is experiencing similar issues with their MBP (or MB?) this may be the cause.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2008, 02:41 PM

I know the 10.5.2 update did something screwy with graphics. Civilization IV won't run on my MacBook anymore, every time I do a particular action the game crashes with a divide-by-zero error in the X3100 driver.

Downgrading to 10.5.1 is on My List Of Things To Do, but I've been too busy lately....

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2008, 04:02 PM

Weird. I found 10.5.1 so buggy nothing is worth downgrading for.

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2008, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Weird. I found 10.5.1 so buggy nothing is worth downgrading for.
No, you're wrong. I got pretty tired of of continually unpluging the monitor, before I turned on laptop. That quickly grew old, plus the fact that I couldn't operate the latpop in closed lid mode or put it too sleep unless I used the power button (closing the lid did not put it too sleep). All of these problems occured after 10.5.2 and when I downgraded the problems disappeared. I can turn on the computer without unplugging the monitor, operate in closed lid mode and have no issues in putting it too sleep.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2008, 09:28 PM

Well, 10.5.2 works for me, but the last Security Update 2008-2 broke printing completely.
Apple f***d up CUPS royally.

I'm about to revert to pre 2008-2 with Time Machine.

-t

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2008, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
No, you're wrong. I got pretty tired of of continually unpluging the monitor, before I turned on laptop.
For your case perhaps but in my case I am 100% right as 10.5.0 and 10.5.1 had a ton of bugs especially with Photoshop.

I'd rather go back to 10.4

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2008, 01:11 PM

Understood, everyone's case is different but I really haven't incurred too many issues with 10.5.1

gbhgbh
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2008, 03:28 PM

I need to do this too. My MBP runs hot and the display freezes when it gets above 70c. How did you downgrade to 10.5.1? After the archive and install, didn't that bring you back to 10.5.0? And if you run software update, does it allow you to stop at 10.5.1 without going to 10.5.2?

Dork.
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2008, 03:39 PM

I still haven't downgraded yet, but I do know that if you search around your hard drive a bit, you'll find that all of those installers that you told Apple System Update to install are sitting around in a folder somewhere. You just need to find that folder, and install the old 10.5.1 update.

Forum Links
Forum Rules