Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > white iphone 3g

white iphone 3g
macrocks
Jul 12, 2008, 01:52 AM

hey everyone that got the white iphone 3g does it look to girly.because i will be buying my iphone august 22 and i am thinking about getting a white one but i want to here from everybody before i buy one.

Helmling
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2008, 02:06 AM

Girly? Are you serious?

No, the simple fact that it is white does not render it somehow "girly."

macrocks  (op)
Jul 12, 2008, 02:11 AM

i have herd from different places that they say the white iphone 3g is more for women but i will more than likely get the white one

Lionsblade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2008, 02:14 AM

I think the white iPhone gets a bad rap as being "girly". To me, it's very classic Apple to have it in white (since you can't get aluminum yet, hah). Apple probably didn't design it specifically for the female market, nor the black specifically for the male market: it's just a phone, and the colors are black and white. *shrug* Just remember that the white is only in 16GB, that changed one of my friend's minds when he went to get the white.
( Last edited by Lionsblade; Jul 12, 2008 at 03:19 PM. )

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2008, 03:40 AM

I think it does look very girly. Add a hello kitty sticker and your set.

That said, what I dislike most about the white one is that it's not really white. It's got a white back. But the front is exactly the same as on the black one. So if your worried about smudges, you'll still be looking at them on your white iPhone. Unless of course you never look at the iPhone from the front.

They will both get smudges if you don't wash your hands. So you might as well get the one that looks better. Black all the way.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2008, 04:12 AM

I looked at both and found the black more attractive. But once you get a nice case, the point can be moot. Get what makes you happy.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 12, 2008, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
Get what makes you happy.
Good advice.

GuyWithACamera
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2008, 11:21 AM

I looked at both and found the black more attractive. But once you get a nice case, the point can be moot. Get what makes you happy.
I agree. I was going to definitely get the black model but since I'll probably put a cover/case on it at the start, it doesn't matter. My 5G iPod has had a silicon case on it since I bought it new and it's practically mint. I'll just get whatever's available whenever I decide to stroll in and get one.
I have no lid upon my head. But if I did, you
could look iniside and see what's on my
mind.

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Jul 12, 2008, 11:36 AM

I went to the Apple store yesterday with the intention of getting an 8GB iPhone. Once I was able to see and handle them in person I decided on the white version. Now I own the 16GB white iPhone and I'm very happy about my decision.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2008, 01:19 PM

I was originally getting the black one because I didn't like how white looked in the pictures. When I saw one in person, I wound up picking white. Girly... whatever. I don't care what other people think! It matches the new R32 I drive! I just have it in a clear case.
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

macrocks  (op)
Jul 12, 2008, 02:34 PM

i will probably get the white one. if i decide to pay 500 because my contract is new.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2008, 03:35 PM

No issues here. Purchased a 16g White yesterday. Wife stated testicles were the same size this morning.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2008, 03:59 PM

You might as well hold a Maxi Pad to your ear dude

macrocks  (op)
Jul 12, 2008, 06:45 PM

well i went on youtube and watched some people unbox the white iphone 3g. and i just dont like it that much. It does not look right to me and i am going to buy the black16gb.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2008, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I was originally getting the black one because I didn't like how white looked in the pictures. When I saw one in person, I wound up picking white. Girly... whatever. I don't care what other people think! It matches the new R32 I drive! I just have it in a clear case.

LOL...j/k i just thought this guy and saying was funny
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2008, 01:55 PM

While I didn't think is was girly at all, I opted for black after seeing the white one in person. Kinda looked cheesy to me. Maybe if the face surround was white too, but...

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2008, 02:40 PM

I dunno.

Saw a white one this morning and think it's gorgeous.

Not "girly" at all. (Then again, I'm pretty gender-secure and unconfused about latent sexual desires... )

The other point for me, though, is that if I have my phone laying around somewhere, it'll be a lot easier to find if it's white.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2008, 04:54 PM

I liked the white one a lot, and might have decided to go with it, except I was concerned that it would be much more of a target for theft because there aren't really many white-backed phones of that shape. The black one would not call as much attention peeking out from my hand or out of a pocket, and I didn't like the idea of it being so conspicuous on the subway or on the street that I would hesitate to take it out and get less enjoyment out of it.

I also like that the black matches the black on the front, so it's just black and silver instead of white and black and silver.

macrocks  (op)
Jul 14, 2008, 05:51 PM

yeah i the big reason i am not getting the white one is because the front is not white and it looks werid without the front being white.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2008, 06:29 PM

I can't understand why they went with white instead of some other color. I think red or silver would have been better options.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
I can't understand why they went with white instead of some other color. I think red or silver would have been better options.
Fake silver? Yuck.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2008, 12:55 AM

The new back is supposed to offer better signal coverage, and a grey in it would look terrible. As for red ...

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jul 15, 2008, 01:20 AM

I like the white version of the iPhone. If I were to get one, I would definitely spring for the white 16GB.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2008, 02:03 AM

I ended up getting the white iPhone 3G today! First time using an iPhone and have been using it for the past 4 hours straight customizing it and using the App Store and must say it's a blast, but a little concerned about the battery life.

macrocks  (op)
Jul 15, 2008, 02:25 AM

i dont see why people freak over battery life so much.the battery will last longer than you think

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2008, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by macrocks View Post
i dont see why people freak over battery life so much.the battery will last longer than you think
When I was living in Singapore till late last year, I had a 3G Nokia N95 and even with heavy surfing/SMSing and video shooting, I wouldn't have to charge it more than a couple of times a week. With my first gen iPhone, I would have to charge it nightly so it was a big change.

That said, the 3G phone's battery time does seem to have increased, even with heavy usage.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Jul 15, 2008, 03:37 AM

I think the white one gives you better reception..
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2008, 03:56 AM

When I was living in Singapore till late last year, I had a 3G Nokia N95 and even with heavy surfing/SMSing and video shooting, I wouldn't have to charge it more than a couple of times a week. With my first gen iPhone, I would have to charge it nightly so it was a big change.

That said, the 3G phone's battery time does seem to have increased, even with heavy usage.
3G iPhone's Mediocre Battery Life Still Beats Rivals

Ozz_man
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 15, 2008, 05:19 AM

Thought for sure I would like the black ones, reflecting my love for the black Macbooks. But once I went to the AT&T store, the white one just jumped out at me. So when I do upgrade (still using my first gen) it will be white .

This is one of those decisions you make when you look at one in person, not online.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 18, 2008, 07:27 PM

I placed a Direct Fulfillment order for a white iPhone at my local AT&T store on Tuesday, and it came in today! They said it would take 7-21 days, so needless to say, I'm very impressed with the 3 days it took.

Anyway, I'm new to having an iPhone, but so far it's pretty amazing. I'm pretty stoked to learn all the ins and outs of it. The white is absolutely gorgeous, and the clarity of the screen just blows my mind.

Basically, I'm just awestruck by this little device and needed to share my excitement.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 18, 2008, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by BoingoBongo View Post
I placed a Direct Fulfillment order for a white iPhone at my local AT&T store on Tuesday, and it came in today! They said it would take 7-21 days, so needless to say, I'm very impressed with the 3 days it took.

Anyway, I'm new to having an iPhone, but so far it's pretty amazing. I'm pretty stoked to learn all the ins and outs of it. The white is absolutely gorgeous, and the clarity of the screen just blows my mind.

Basically, I'm just awestruck by this little device and needed to share my excitement.
Think your enjoying it now? Spend a few hours at the App Store. You will never be the same.

p.s. Good Choice in color.
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2008, 10:11 PM

28, M, white iPhone 3G.

I changed my mind while waiting in-line last Friday. The front is black and the back is white, they play well.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2008, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by glideslope View Post
Think your enjoying it now? Spend a few hours at the App Store. You will never be the same.

p.s. Good Choice in color.
Ha, thanks!

I haven't messed with the app store yet...mostly because I know it will be the end of me.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2008, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by BoingoBongo View Post
Ha, thanks!

I haven't messed with the app store yet...mostly because I know it will be the end of me.
Smart. I bought Scrabble last Saturday but held off till today. Payday and bought a number of apps.

macrocks  (op)
Jul 19, 2008, 02:36 AM

most of everything i have downloaded is free apps. but i will be getting the full mocha vnc app.there is a lot of good apps that are free

WorkClothes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2008, 01:58 PM

Interesting that people don't think the white MacBook is girly.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2008, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by WorkClothes View Post
Interesting that people don't think the white MacBook is girly.
Sure I do. That's why I got a black one.

macrocks  (op)
Jul 20, 2008, 02:26 PM

i like the white macbook.but i dont like the white iphone 3g because it does not look right.the front should be white too

vtboyarc
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2008, 02:31 PM

something about the white doesn't look good. Its just seems weird. There is still black, on the front. Talk about 2 clashing colors. The black is more aesthetically appealing.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2008, 02:39 PM

Saw it in person and my opinion of it is the same as I had seeing the pictures of it: fugly. If it were all white it might be better, but a white back with black/silver front looks stupid.

macrocks  (op)
Jul 20, 2008, 03:06 PM

yes apple did a bad job of making the white iphone.but a red back would be cool.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2008, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by macrocks View Post
yes apple did a bad job of making the white iphone.but a red back would be cool.
That would be so ugly. If you want red, get a red case.

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2008, 05:01 PM

It's all just a matter of preference. I personally think the white iPhone looks incredible; that's why I bought it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules