Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3 40gig vs. 80gig

PS3 40gig vs. 80gig
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2008, 02:20 PM

I've been looking and for the most part it seems that only the 40gig model is the only one around. While it seems in a couple of months its rumored that sony will be releasing an 80gig flavored bundle. Can someone confirm that right now 40gig is the only game in town.

I'm not sure I want to wait (or pay) for the extra 40 gig, when it seems the only other advantage is PS2 compatibility - since I don't own any ps2 games

Anyone care to chime in on the advantages of the 80 over the 40. Not having owned a game console since the atari days I'm not sure how the 40 gig hard drive will get filled up.

richwig83
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2008, 03:15 PM

PlayStation 3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

...thats a start, it lists the differences in spec. !!!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2008, 05:53 PM

If you don't play PS2 games and don't want to store video's/songs/pictures and countless game demo's on your PS3 the 40 gig is more than fine.

Even if you want to use it for a media server in the future there are Mac apps that pull all the content from your computer.

Some games however store several gigs as cashe. Not sure how much but after a few years and games later it could be an issue.

As far as I remember you can easily swap the HD on the PS3 with any off the shelf model so don't let the HD size stop you.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2008, 07:47 PM

I think the 80 Gig model also has 2 extra USB ports (4 total) and some memory card reader slots (not just Memory Stick).

MacosNerd  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2008, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the info, I've been leaning towards the 40gig mostly because that's the easiest one to find but I wanted to see if there was a compelling reason to get the 80gig

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2008, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
I think the 80 Gig model also has 2 extra USB ports (4 total) and some memory card reader slots (not just Memory Stick).
Ya that's true but I don't use any of those on mine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules