Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > LC 575 ��how fast is too fast?

LC 575 ��how fast is too fast?
bojangles
Senior User
Aug 11, 2001, 11:18 AM

I just came into a free LC 575, and I�m trying to upgrade the snot out of it. I�ve already maxed out the RAM at 36MB and am looking for a nice, relatively big, SCSI HD; but my main problem is the processor. The 33MHz 68LC040 is a dog (although it is a bit zippier than the 25MHz 68030 in my upgraded LC II). So here�s the question: how fast can I make this thing? I know I can slide in a 601 upgrade, but I want to push this thing to the limits. Am I limited to 66MHz, or can the mobo handle 100MHz or even (shudder) 133?

Thanks!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.â€
—Abraham Lincoln

finboy
Aug 11, 2001, 05:47 PM

OK, here's a couple suggestions:

Look into getting a different clock crystal for the motherboard. This worked on some machines. Micromacs would have made such a thing if it existed. Also check out what LowEndMac has to say about upgrades.

THEN find out how to upgrade the motherboard to PPC. It takes an LC upgrade card, so you'll lose anything in the LC (PDS) slot. Sonnet ( www.sonnettech.com ) was making the Presto PPC, which was basically the same as a Daystar card. The Apple upgrade was 66Mhz, the Daystar was 100Mhz. That's probably the fastest, although some guy in Japan has probably put an iMac motherboard in an LC575 by now. Sonnet still has those, I'm pretty sure, for the education market. You'll need an adapter, which they used to sell as well. You may be able then to overclock the PPC card, but I doubt it.

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Aug 11, 2001, 09:10 PM

Sounds good. However, you bring up an interesting point: what kind of mobo's would fit in the LC 575 case? Maybe I could just find a Power Mac mobo and slide it right in! (Then I could throw some of the 575�s limitations out the window!)

Thanks again!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.â€
—Abraham Lincoln

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2001, 02:32 PM

nope i had a 550, the moherboards are very very small, i don't think anything else would fit

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2002, 11:22 PM

ha ha ha wow this thread is OLD

JoNoiD
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2002, 07:07 PM

haha let's revitalize it.

throwing another motherboard into an LC 575 is pointless. you might as well just get another machine. the only reason people throw different motherboards into machines is because that particular machine is cool (such as putting a cube mobo in a color classic).

Secret Vampire
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2002, 10:02 PM

The problem I have with cube board in CC is that the cube is also cool, I'm trying to come up with another solution right now...

Currently the best I can come up with is a wallstreet (or other G3 powerbook) board connected using the vga out, to a small VGA tube (the trinitron in the CC would be nice, but hopefully you could squeeze a few more pixels from a newer monitor, plus in my case I want to do it to something pre-classic) but this doesn't seem ideal... unfortunately I can't think of another small form factor board that can handle X.
Secret

4 Macs, 6 Amigas, 3 SparcStations, an Atari ST, an Acorn, and N+1 PCs.

I'm such a geek.

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Nov 26, 2002, 09:45 PM

what about one of the Duo motherboards? 2300 or 2400? Those are pretty small
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

MacManMikeOSX
Senior User
Nov 27, 2002, 06:24 PM

(off topic) Im sure somes made this comment before but i cant help it.
hey mr.bojangles can you dance for me?
hehe

Forum Links
Forum Rules