Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Repeat after me: "Harry Potter is just a book"

Repeat after me: "Harry Potter is just a book"
starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2003, 08:45 AM

http://www.msnbc.com/news/927941.asp

Guard dogs? $100 million lawsuits?

I read them. They're OK, but really, I don't find them the end-all, be-all of modern literature. Puh-leeze.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 08:55 AM

It pretty good for a kids book... although you have to wonder about some parts being actually suitable. Like it appears Ron's a wee bit too interested in anus's...

Considering the value of this book I am going to hit postal trucks at random in the hopes of stealing a selling a few copies. Like that guy who almost got $40,000 for three chapters.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2003, 09:06 AM

1) I have not read these yet.
2) HP is the best thing to happen to kids lit in 100 years. If for nothing else, IT'S GOT KIDS READING- LOTS of kids who would not ordinarily... and THAT is incredible, Cathy Lee Crosby.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2003, 09:09 AM

Repeat after me: "A Power Mac is just a computer."

What is it with all the hype???

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2003, 09:14 AM

I'm not denying anything about HP's popularity, or how it positively affects kids, but the security and money traded around this book just amazes me. Someone got $40k for three chapters of this book a few months back. 40 grand. Now there's a $100 million lawsuit against the Daily News, and technically they did nothing wrong. I never saw this much hyper over Encyclopedia Brown.

Mike

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2003, 09:20 AM

Hype is good. Remember as a kid how much you got excited before christmas? The wait for something is often a whole lot more exciting than the climax. In many cases the hype gets out of hand and completely overshadows the actual thing, for example The Phanom Menace, and you'll have an anti-climax. In other cases - like sex - it just builds and builds and in the end you'll feel really good.

Let's hope that - come monday - we'll have a case of the latter.

That said, Harry Potter is quite a nice set of books, and I've read the first two. I'm not really into the hype-machine around the latest book, but I can feel for those who do.

This comes from a guy who have spent time reading through a 454-reply strong thread about the alleged new power mac design - even though I'm not in the market for one. I'm happy with my 17" PowerBook, but heck, it's FUN to join the ride

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2003, 09:24 AM

for children, they're great... but once you've read JRR Tolkien...

aside from that: I will be getting the book on 21 June (but not at 12:01AM)

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 09:41 AM

i will never read them... just on principals

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2003, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by Phanguye:
I wasn't going to either, but a friend really liked them and I trust her judgement, and I'm glad I did because they really are good books.

Mike

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Jun 19, 2003, 09:49 AM

A few days ago, here in the UK, someone stole a truck containing 40,000 copies of the book.

They are actually good books; I've read and enjoyed most of them. The good thing about them is that they can be easily read by a child, but adults will be able to read far more into some underlying parts of the story - there's adult humour hidden away beneath the surface!

Don't dismiss them, as they've got many a child away from the TV or games console, and into reading a good book. For goodness sake, don't compare them to Tolkien - but hopefully the child that starts reading Harry Potter will move onto such classic literature.

InegoMontoya
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2003, 09:49 AM

They are actually quite good. They have some pretty interesting social themes threaded through. Starting in the second one, race (muggel vs half-blood vs wizard) becomes a major underlying theme. Then class issues get thrown in and Hermione organizes the House Elfs (kind of a labor union thing - and is isn't all peaches and cream when she does it). If you read them as an adult, there are certainly lots of adult topics thrown in.

I particularly like the bravery as "do the right thing at the right time - even if you're afraid to do it" theme that is hammered home.

They are pretty easy reading too. Even though they are long, they go quickly. Unlike the damned Robert Jordan books which never seem to end, and never seem to move the plot along.....Same with Terry Goodkin. If you insist on being that verbose, at least move the plot along!

SinikalB*tch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2003, 10:23 AM

It's hard to go from Tolkien to these kids' books, but I did, and I'm on book #4. They really are pretty good. I don't want my kids reading them though until they are about 10 or so.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2003, 10:33 AM

I guess that explains your punctuation and spelling.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2003, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by maxelson:
1) I have not read these yet.
Oh, you're in for a treat some day. I'm jealous.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2003, 11:02 AM

Can those of you who are fans of the HP books explain to me, a person who has only seen the films but considered getting into the books, how the books read? Are the plots linear and strong or are they more episodic? Is the writing witty? Does she go into all the characters' heads, or just a few? If you had to define the appeal of the books into just a phrase, what would it be? I'm curious.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2003, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:
Can those of you who are fans of the HP books explain to me, a person who has only seen the films but considered getting into the books, how the books read? Are the plots linear and strong or are they more episodic? Is the writing witty? Does she go into all the characters' heads, or just a few? If you had to define the appeal of the books into just a phrase, what would it be? I'm curious.
The books bring more depth to the story. There's only so much that the movie can tell you. For example, I'll bet you don't know what was written above the mirror in the first movie.

Mike

xtal
Senior User
Jun 19, 2003, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
I guess that explains your punctuation and spelling.
Congratulations. You beat me to my favourite kind of post.

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

willed
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2003, 11:10 AM

I did enjoy the books, but they are formulaic by their very nature - Harry starts off at the Durselys' (sp?), goes/gets rescued to Hogwart's, first term, something suspicious, second term, investigation, plot thickens, third term, culmination, showdown with Voldemort, win the Quidditch, everyone's happy, Harry goes back to Durselys', repeat.

Maybe I'll be proved wrong this time. I haven't ordered the book yet, but I will inevitably read it some time soon.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2003, 11:11 AM

The best I can say is that in the movies, all of the these "plot points" had to be covered, so the movies are always rushing from one point to the next.

OTOH the books can take their time. They have more "fabric" -- and in a way, this is a major appeal of the books, the simulacrum of Harry's world. Thus, the best thing about HP for me is the contrast between the "real world" and this "alternate world", and for that to take effect, you've got to feel like you're spending enough time in the alternate, magical world. In a way, you have to feel what it's like to go to school, to be stressed out for exams, to break rules, to be excited about the House Cup: all the things the that the movies can only hint at. And because we've all gone to school and at one point fancied ourself either outcasts, misunderstood or special (or all three) we can constantly relate to Harry and be charmed by Rowling's fun inventions for her world.

The POV of the book's is Harry's, so you often are privy to his feelings and doubts, which are of course excellent ways to try and hide suprises in the plot.

Remember: it's the age old appeal. I'm special in a mundane world that doesn't understand me. I've actually got special abilities. I'm not an unknown orphan, actually I'm known the world over (ah, the irony). Not so different from, e.g., the Matrix, or any teen escapism.
( Last edited by Timo; Jun 19, 2003 at 11:17 AM. )

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2003, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by starman:
The books bring more depth to the story. There's only so much that the movie can tell you. For example, I'll bet you don't know what was written above the mirror in the first movie.
Actually, I read somewhere about the mirror writing, but I can't remember it now.

The truth is I don't care for either of the movies very much, and in a perverse way it's made me more eager to get into the books than I would've been had the movies been good. I watched the Chamber of Secrets on DVD the other day and thought, "That's it -- whatever these people are seeing in these books, it's not in these movies." So I'm wondering what "it" is exactly; I expect I'll read the books regardless, but I'd like to hear what people think.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

SinikalB*tch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2003, 11:58 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nonsuch:
The truth is I don't care for either of the movies very much, and in a perverse way it's made me more eager to get into the books than I would've been had the movies been good.

Ooohhh! Yes! (Sorry to go off on a different tangent) Which reminds me of The Bourne Identity. I read the book - gooood - then watched the movie - does NOT follow the book hardly at all. I was so frustrated that I had to stop watching it.
A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.
Eleanor Roosevelt

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 12:05 PM

Ha ha the guard dogs were for Canadian stores!?

What the hell is up with Canadians?

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

RAzaRazor
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 12:16 PM

"Harry Potter is just a book"

Happy Now?

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2003, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by RAzaRazor:
"Harry Potter is just a book"

Happy Now?

it fscking took long enough.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by SinikalB*tch:
Which reminds me of The Bourne Identity. I read the book - gooood - then watched the movie - does NOT follow the book hardly at all. I was so frustrated that I had to stop watching it.
Well, the book would have taken a 6 hour movie to do in its entirety, or, say, a TV mini series. There was a 3 hour mini-series back in 1988, but I didn't see it. That's just a problem with any book-to-movie adaptation, especially with any long book.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 03:48 PM

They are written very well, and are very descriptive and colorful. (colourful?) They are an extremely fast read, in spite of their length -- my wife has the next book pre-ordered, and decided last week to re-read the series and is almost done with Book 3 already.

I haven't actually read any of them, but I have listened to them all on CD on long car rides. The guy who does the audiobooks is an excellent speaker and really adds a lot to the experience. It's too bad that the audiobooks are so darn expensive -- they seem to list at $5 per CD, which made Book 4 (14 CD's) list at $70! (Needless to say, I didn't pay nearly that much, but I got it well after the book was released. I'll have to wait similarly for the new book, I'll try not to pay more than $30 for it...)

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2003, 03:53 PM

Bourne Identity was at least a pretty good movie, regardless of whether it was faithful to its source. The Potter movies are obviously built from good material, but in execution they're totally bland and stiff. Like I said, I can't imagine the books are the same way.

sideus
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
Repeat after me: "A Power Mac is just a computer."

What is it with all the hype???
I was thinking the same thing.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Jun 19, 2003, 04:23 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Aug 11, 2004 at 12:48 PM. )

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2003, 04:34 PM

Harry Potter is now a multi-million dollar business (billions, perhaps?). They protect their secrets, surprises and product announcements just like any other massive business.

Like when Apple puts the smack down on rumors, leaks or ATI for spilling the beans and spoiling their surprises.

The books are fun entertainment.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2003, 05:59 PM

I had pretty much convinced myself that any adult male reading the Harry Potter books must be a pedophile, and therefore would not have been caught dead reading them.

However...

I was commuting by train into the city, and a friend gave me the first one as an ebook for the palm, and since no one could see what I was reading, I decided to see what the hype was all about.

It was good. Not amazingly great, but really good. They are clearly "childrens" books, but the autohr does not write down to kids.

The first movie was fun, if just to see the world brought to life, but the second one kinda sucked.

The only thing that really bothers be about the books is quidditch. The author clearly has no concept of sports. This game is pointless and had the most ridiculous rules imaginable.

So for those not reading on priciple, I understad where you are coming from, but it's worth it sneak a read. Just don't tell anybody and you can still be cool.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2003, 06:08 PM

Harry Potter's good sh*t. I'm glad that Rowling isn't some snoogy-woogums author and doesn't keep the material "kid-safe". I laugh with a bit of scorn at all the stupid bishops and over-protective parents who have "banned" the book. Harry Potter's a fun read for all ages, and I think it could even stand to use a bit more... brutality? You know, for realism

Ver de Terre
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2003, 06:27 PM

I'm a big fan of the books, but not in the cultish way. To be honest, I don't think the writing is terrific, or that the plots are particularly strong, or even that they're wholly original. However, they are vividly narrated, and the world they take place in is extensively realized. In other words, I think the characters and environment are the strength, rather than the details of the adventures themselves--which, frankly, appeals to me. The tone is similar to the whimsical, tongue-in-cheek style that makes Roald Dahl so readable and fun.

tie
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2003, 06:44 PM

I didn't like the one Harry Potter book I read, the one in which a taxi gets caught in a tree. The writing wasn't great and neither was the story. I'm afraid of saying anything else because someone's going to jump on my poor grammer.

Nick_G
Jun 19, 2003, 07:04 PM

I read the first book just before seeing the film version and I enjoyed it so much that I read the three subsequent books too. I will probably buy 'Order Of The Phoenix' on Saturday.

Having said all that I did notice some parallels with the Star Wars sagas, with Harry's character mirroring Luke Skywalker's in some ways, i.e. learning to become a wizard/Jedi, being told your parents were killed when you were a nipper by Voldemort/Darth Vader, using magic/the Force etc.

I hope JK Rowling doesn't strengthen the parallels further by revealing that Voldemort is in fact Harry's real father...
There are too many fools following too many rules.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2003, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by Nick_G:
I read the first book just before seeing the film version and I enjoyed it so much that I read the three subsequent books too. I will probably buy 'Order Of The Phoenix' on Saturday.

Having said all that I did notice some parallels with the Star Wars sagas, with Harry's character mirroring Luke Skywalker's in some ways, i.e. learning to become a wizard/Jedi, being told your parents were killed when you were a nipper by Voldemort/Darth Vader, using magic/the Force etc.

I hope JK Rowling doesn't strengthen the parallels further by revealing that Voldemort is in fact Harry's real father...
LOL! I really like that last part

Harrrrryyy Potttterrrrrr.... I... am... your father!

I somehow doubt she'll do that because it wouldn't make any sense, and then she'd create an all out war between Star Wars geeks and Harry Potter dorks (for some reason I think the post-pubescent Star Wars geeks would win )

hayesk
Jun 19, 2003, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by tie:
I didn't like the one Harry Potter book I read, the one in which a taxi gets caught in a tree. The writing wasn't great and neither was the story. I'm afraid of saying anything else because someone's going to jump on my poor grammer.

It sounds like you just skimmed through it. There was never a taxi in any if the books. The Weasley's car got stuck in a tree in the second book though.

And, it's grammar, not grammer.

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2003, 07:40 PM

hey,

this is the lawsuit that was filed:

http://news.findlaw.com/hdocs/docs/h...dn61803cmp.pdf

They broke copyright / intellectual property law(s).

and may I note I can't wait for my copy to arrive on Sat.

-Owl

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2003, 08:39 PM

I'm in the camp that says:

"I want more bloody realism!!!"

---

OTHO - as children's books (READ - under 12) HP is a great series.

...this coming from someone who read book 4 in 8hrs.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2003, 09:27 AM

Voldemort is not harry's father. Grandfather....meh, doubtful.

The movie is horrible.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2003, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by Paco500:
The only thing that really bothers be about the books is quidditch. The author clearly has no concept of sports. This game is pointless and had the most ridiculous rules imaginable.
Yeah, wtf is up with quidditch? The whole snitch thing kinda nullifies the whole game doesn't it? I'm no sports-freak, but I DO know what it takes to create a good game (having in fact invented an absurd, but fun board game myself)

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2003, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by invisibleX:
Like it appears Ron's a wee bit too interested in anus's...

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2003, 09:41 AM

Yeah, quidditch is stupid. I'm reading the first book thinking "uh, what??". The rules are wacky. Even Battlestar Galactica came up with a better sports game .

Mike

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2003, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
Yeah, wtf is up with quidditch? The whole snitch thing kinda nullifies the whole game doesn't it? I'm no sports-freak, but I DO know what it takes to create a good game (having in fact invented an absurd, but fun board game myself)
I tell you why I like quidditch -- it's so absurd. If you could step back and naively see some sports we play today, for the first time, you might have a similar reaction.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2003, 11:58 AM

http://www.somethingawful.com
Major spoilers in today's article. Or so they claim, anyway; I guess there's no real way to verify that yet.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

christ
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 12:15 PM

...Having said all that I did notice some parallels with the Star Wars sagas...
My guess is that they both draw on the same epic tradition - they share a lot of parallels with a whole bunch of other long fantasy stories - Tolkein, Dune, Wheel of Time, Belgariad etc.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

christ
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by Paco500:
I had pretty much convinced myself that any adult male reading the Harry Potter books must be a pedophile...
Nah - that would be Pullman's 'His Dark Material'. A series that has been slated for all the wrong reasons, and most of the criticism has missed the real unpleasantness contained therein.

PS - why only adult males? can adult females not be paedophiles?
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

christ
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by starman:
Yeah, quidditch is stupid. I'm reading the first book thinking "uh, what??". The rules are wacky. Even Battlestar Galactica came up with a better sports game .

Mike
Note that Quidditch is played on flying broomsticks, and you are taking the rules seriously.

Think about that.
Chris. T.

christ
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by maxelson:
...2) HP is the best thing to happen to kids lit in 100 years...
Not really 100 years, but back to the pre-political-correctness children's literature of (in the UK at least) Blyton's 'Faraway Tree' and/or 'Famous Five', Ransome's 'Swallows and Amazons' etc., where kids in the books were allowed to be away from adults and in 'danger'.

Kids like reading adventures, fantasy or otherwise, and have had too much politically correct, inoffensive (but racially and sexually unbiassed - 'My Two Dads' anyone?) junk piled upon them that they were ready for a throwback, to at least pre 70s, which HP most definitely is.

I'm surprised that you haven't read them max - I picture you as playing a great Dumbledore in a few years!
Chris. T.

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2003, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by christ:
Note that Quidditch is played on flying broomsticks, and you are taking the rules seriously.

Think about that.
No, think about this: you're an ass and I never said I took it seriously. I just said I questioned the wacky rules. I'm not dwelling on it for CHRIST'S sake.

Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules