Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > So... could it have been a hack??

So... could it have been a hack??
willed
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 06:10 AM

People have been saying it could have been a hack, but wouldn't that be almost impossible given the nature of Apple's Arkami servers (ie hundreds spread all over the US)... I dunno.

7Macfreak
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2003, 06:12 AM

nope
i think it was planned.
the fact that CNET had an article about it at precisely 11:00pm supports this theory.

p.s. idisk is down?? any .mac users wanna confirm this?

willed  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 06:22 AM

Originally posted by 7Macfreak:

Yeah, not working over here. Maybe they banned EVERYONE because of people hosting images of the leaked specs!

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Jun 20, 2003, 06:35 AM

- 970 is obviously on its way, and I'm not at all suprised IBM could achieve faster than Morotola since Motorola have little interest in the G4
- up to 1GHz processor bus is inline with IBM saying the 970 would have a bus half the speed of the processor (so a 2GHz 970 would have a 1GHz bus)
- USB2 had to come at some point
- Serial ATA inline with Apple's typical use of technology ahead of the PC industry
- FireWire800 is a must since the PowerBook's have it
- Optical is about time
- One less PCI is inline with the well known fact that the new motherboard is smaller
- etc

All that happened was a wrong image was uploaded, a single image, a mere mistake, nothing more - the chronic obsession some people have with finding a reason for it to be a hoax is just amazing. I mean insisting rumours are crap is one thing, but now that Apple's own website displayed the information wait the best excuse skeptics are coming up with was that Apple's site had to of been hacked. That's right, a hacker into Apple's online store and replaced a whole single graphic we promise we didn't steal any customer data nor sabatage anything what-so-ever, the mission was simply to replace a single graphic to start mass hysteria over something that is entirely likely. Great plan!

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jun 20, 2003, 06:36 AM

my iDisk's been reporting 1Gb free, all week. that's when i can actually connect to it. most of the time, when i do manage to connect, Finder freezes so bad that i have to ssh in from my iBook to kill things, or just punch the reset button.

iDisk sucks.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Saul Goode
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2003, 06:39 AM

Originally posted by DVD Plaza:
- 970 is obviously on its way, and I'm not at all suprised IBM could achieve faster than Morotola since Motorola have little interest in the G4
- up to 1GHz processor bus is inline with IBM saying the 970 would have a bus half the speed of the processor (so a 2GHz 970 would have a 1GHz bus)
- Serial ATA inline with Apple's typical use of technology ahead of the PC industry
- Optical is about time
- One less PCI is inline with the well known fact that the new motherboard is smaller
- etc

All that happened was a wrong image was uploaded, a single image, a mere mistake, nothing more - the chronic obsession some people have with finding a reason for it to be a hoax is just amazing. I mean insisting rumours are crap is one thing, but now that Apple's own website displayed the information wait the best excuse skeptics are coming up with was that Apple's site had to of been hacked. That's right, a hacker into Apple's online store and replaced a whole single graphic we promise we didn't steal any customer data nor sabatage anything what-so-ever, the mission was simply to replace a single graphic to start mass hysteria over something that is entirely likely. Great plan!

I'll stop using the term "colored" as soon as they do.
I'm somewhat of an enigma: an atheist conservative.

Michel_80
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2003, 06:58 AM

Well, I believe it completely. I remember when previous things like Cubes were out and people were talking about it in the same way.

However, the German description is not very credible due to the fact that the case would be too thin.

If I am wrong, I am wrong but I would bet around 200 on the G5's out in the next week or so.

willed  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 08:27 AM

Yeah, good points - if it was a hacker they'd have gone for the front page, or at least the whole of the G4 page, not just one tiny graphic. I'm surprised it was picked up at all. It took me a minute to notice it in the screenshots, plus what was anyone doing checking out a new G4 at a time like this??

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 09:06 AM

My iDisk is a no go.

[edit]After pinging forever (7-10 minutes), it mounted, but I can't access files. Beachball's a twirlin'.

[edit again]Can access files now...[/edit]
( Last edited by scottiB; Jun 20, 2003 at 09:13 AM. )
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

beb
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2003, 09:11 AM

hmmm... can't get to my idisk either.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2003, 09:13 AM

Why is Apple Legal asking people to take the screenshots down? It was posted, in what technically is a "public place", no? It's not like someone hacked into the site to get this info.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2003, 09:24 AM

While the specs may be somewhat in line with what people were expecting, I wouldn't get my hopes up. Personally, I'm leaning towards hack for a couple of reasons:

1) The list is bulleted with dashes. I've looked at all the other feature lists in the Apple Store and none are bulleted. I think whoever made the gif didn't look closely enough at the rest of the store.

2) The font is wrong. Again, like above, the creator didn't look at enough feature lists on the Store. The font of the features is much too big, and a little too dark (I think).

3) I don't know too much about hacking, but wouldn't it be easiest to change ONE link to go to ONE picture, instead of completely changing entire pages? At this point in time anyone could anticipate the frenzy that would occur from posting one picture. And not even a picture, for God's sake. Some words.

Bottom line, I'm suspicious. These specs would be great (Hell, they'd be FCUKING FANTASTIC) but I'm not getting my hopes up.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2003, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by JLFanboy:
While the specs may be somewhat in line with what people were expecting, I wouldn't get my hopes up. Personally, I'm leaning towards hack for a couple of reasons:

1) The list is bulleted with dashes. I've looked at all the other feature lists in the Apple Store and none are bulleted. I think whoever made the gif didn't look closely enough at the rest of the store..

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2003, 09:30 AM

3) I don't know too much about hacking, but wouldn't it be easiest to change ONE link to go to ONE picture, instead of completely changing entire pages? At this point in time anyone could anticipate the frenzy that would occur from posting one picture. And not even a picture, for God's sake. Some words.
Look, seriously. No hacker would bother hacking into a highly secure online store only to change the frigging specs of a machine. Not even a rabid Apple-fanboy with high hopes for the future. Why would any hacker do that? And not even bother with other images? Or stealing credit card numbers? Jeez.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 09:41 AM

NO

(Courtesy of Acadian)

digi-jj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2003, 09:46 AM

It's a hack job.

Originally posted by DVD Plaza:
IBM never said anything about a 1 GHz bus.

LOL! You just contradicted yourself. Serial ATA has already been available for PC for several months, as well as ATA-133, AGP 8X, Dual DDR, 6.1 Integrated sound... etc. Apple is typically BEHIND. Apple's latest "firsts" include much less significant technologies like firewire800 which definitely is not as fast as it sounds, and 802.11g wireless, which PCs had only days later.

Existing PowerMacs already have it.

eklipse
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 09:49 AM

1) The list is bulleted with dashes. I've looked at all the other feature lists in the Apple Store and none are bulleted. I think whoever made the gif didn't look closely enough at the rest of the store.

2) The font is wrong. Again, like above, the creator didn't look at enough feature lists on the Store. The font of the features is much too big, and a little too dark (I think).

Bottom line, I'm suspicious. These specs would be great (Hell, they'd be FCUKING FANTASTIC) but I'm not getting my hopes up.
If the specs image is legit then it obviously came from a completely different page layout with pics of the G5 tower and what not. Even if it does not match the rest of the page it proves nothing. The fact that it does not follow existing styles, again, proves nothing since Apple tends to change there site style around their products. This could be the 'new' look.

If this were any other company I would say someone f*cked up. Big time. As we're talking about Apple (read Steve Jobs), I certainly wouldn't put such a PR stunt past them.

dencamp
Senior User
Jun 20, 2003, 09:51 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by digi-jj:
[B]It's a hack job.

If you're wrong (which most of us hope) can we re-quote this post?

Two steps forward (six steps back)

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 09:54 AM

I don't think it's a hack.

What would be the point?

Apple was on top of it immediately. It appeared then their "We're updating our site and will be back soon" logo appeared...

Then the updated Power Macs appeared again...

Then it all disappeared and went back to the current line-up.

I was there and saw it all happening and it was very clearly NOT a hack job. It was either a mistake or planned.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 09:59 AM

My take on it is this:

It's late on Thursday night and what better time to update the site for Monday morning?

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night (the night before the big event) are NOT good nights for prepping a site IF wary eyes are watching ---> <--- and as it so happens someone screwed up and it was posted for a few minutes before they knew it was up...

And it was yanked down.

It was a mistake, plain and simple. They thought they could fly under the radar on a late Thursday night and it didn't work out as planned.

JLFanboy
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2003, 10:04 AM

erik -

I don't care if the Quark specs are bulleted! Stop getting my hopes up, dammit! I want to be surprised on Monday! How's that gonna happen if you guys give me every reason not to be suspicious!

Monday will never be able to come fast enough.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2003, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by iWrite:
My take on it is this:

It's late on Thursday night and what better time to update the site for Monday morning?

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night (the night before the big event) are NOT good nights for prepping a site IF wary eyes are watching ---> <--- and as it so happens someone screwed up and it was posted for a few minutes before they knew it was up...

And it was yanked down.

It was a mistake, plain and simple. They thought they could fly under the radar on a late Thursday night and it didn't work out as planned.
They would NOT be using their production servers to prepare an update for Monday. It just doesn't work that way. Whatever they've got planned to show on the site Monday is already sitting on their development servers, where it will stay until they sync the development servers with the production servers at that time.

OreoCookie
Jun 20, 2003, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by 7Macfreak:
nope
i think it was planned.
the fact that CNET had an article about it at precisely 11:00pm supports this theory.

Bingo, that's what I think, too.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2003, 10:33 AM

Originally posted by digi-jj:
IBM never said anything about a 1 GHz bus.
Well, sorta.

They said that the bus's clock speed can run at up to 1/4 of the CPU core speed. The example they gave was a 1.8 GHz PPC 970 running at 450 FSB with DDR, effectively 900 MHz. Thus if it were a 2 GHz chip, it could technically be up to 1 GHz.

I just don't understand how they plan on implementing this however because of current memory limitations. I guess we'll see.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2003, 10:33 AM

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 10:37 AM

xi_hyperion:

Do you work for Apple Computer?

If not, then what gives you blanket authority to tell me or anyone else what is or is not?

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 10:40 AM

In fact, xi_hyperon, why don't you explain to us exactly how it works since you OBVIOUSLY work for Apple Computer?

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2003, 10:43 AM

No, I don't work for Apple, but I have worked in an e-biz environment for a major corporation for several years now. You don't do your development on the server that is public, and you certainly don't start putting up pieces on your public server to "get ready". Sorry if that offends you.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 10:49 AM

I'm not offended, xi.

I also work with our IT department on projects and our national website. I'm the boss and not the IT guy but I see what happens.

I'm not a professional but one thing I've learned? ANYTHING can happen.

Have a good one.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2003, 10:59 AM

Well, anything is possible. I might be six feet under this time next week as a result of a meteorite hitting me on the head, but odds are it won't happen. In our company, we've actually got 3 different servers - development, where both IT and marketing can play around and place content; staging, where content from development is synched by our IT folks after legal approval, and finally the production server, where only content approved by upper management actually goes out. So yes, it is possible that something could slip through like that, but it isn't likely. Speaking from my own experience, I can only say we've never had that happen once in my company in all the years we've been online. I'm sure Apple's team is even more sophisticated and larger than ours, so I am inclined to believe this was intentional, or a hack. I'm doubtful about the hack scenario, but who knows.

[just edited to add: I don't really care. I just want a Mac with those specs. ]

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 11:27 AM

Yeah, I think it was a mistake or on purpose.
( Last edited by iWrite; Jun 21, 2003 at 08:56 PM. )

ringo
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 11:36 AM

Marketing, Marketing, Marketing

Steve's reading the hype this morning and chortling into his oat bran. There's no way somebody "accidentially" uploaded that image to a production server and a hacker would have better things to target.

The hype will spiral all weekend and when the announcement is finally made, there will be more people watching than if there was no "leak."

You can't buy publicity like this is generating.

kovacs
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2003, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by ringo:
Marketing, Marketing, Marketing

Steve's reading the hype this morning and chortling into his oat bran. There's no way somebody "accidentially" uploaded that image to a production server and a hacker would have better things to target.

The hype will spiral all weekend and when the announcement is finally made, there will be more people watching than if there was no "leak."

You can't buy publicity like this is generating.
Yep, I agree, remember the leaked iMac photos !

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2003, 12:04 PM

i was just thinking before sleeping last night, how Steve can control the hype of the g5 over panther...I though what if they announced the G5 today (friday)...then, getting that out first, the panther demo would be center stage next monday...hmmm

also what is an "optical and analog audio in and out"

optical? for cameras?

scottiB
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by ironknee:
also what is an "optical and analog audio in and out"

optical? for cameras?
Optical audio in and out uses the same jack that is on most DVD players and DTS/Dolby Digital 5.1 A/V receivers. It's also called toslink. Here's what the cable looks like.

The output would be good for DVD authors to listen to their 5.1 mixes (with 5.1 speakers). As well, if the future Apple DVD Player will handle it, you could watch DVDs in surround.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2003, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
3 different servers - development, where both IT and marketing can play around and place content; staging, where content from development is synched by our IT folks after legal approval, and finally the production server, where only content approved by upper management actually goes out.
Yep, that's the general rule in the place I work for and with. Nothing goes live unless there's a clear signal to do it. However, one of our vendors sometimes forgets this and does live changes, it can and does happen.

However, it's almost always during normal business hours. I'm not sure what sort of process Apple and Akamai have to go through to update their content, but I can imagine Akamai needs to get their hands on it at least 24 hours to update their staging servers.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 09:30 PM

If it looks like a HACK
If it smells like a HACK

...THEN it is a HACK

I'll be wary until 1:00PM EST Monday

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2003, 09:44 PM

Er, if it were a hack, don't you think Apple would've made an announcement to that effect?
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

passmaster16
Senior User
Jun 20, 2003, 10:33 PM

No, I don't work for Apple, but I have worked in an e-biz environment for a major corporation for several years now. You don't do your development on the server that is public, and you certainly don't start putting up pieces on your public server to "get ready". Sorry if that offends you.

Agreed. You don't upload to live servers until you are ready to do so. Even small business environments generally uses test servers before thowing stuff up there for everybody to see.

As for people wondering why somebody would only hack one graphic? Simple, if you want to make it look legit, you make an obscure change. This makes people wonder if it was in fact a web developer screw up.

Of course the fact that Akamai has redundant servers hosting Apple's site still puzzles. If it was hacked, how did they get the change to replicate across all Akamai servers?

All I know is I can't wait for Monday. I'd sure like to see those specs

passmaster16
Senior User
Jun 20, 2003, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:
Er, if it were a hack, don't you think Apple would've made an announcement to that effect?
That is a very good point that is also a big question mark. If they were hacked, why wouldn't they just come out and say it. Wouldn't they want to be honest with everybody so there wouldn't be a big letdown on Monday if they do not have new systems to show? Maybe they don't want to scare store customers with the idea that they may have been hacked Or maybe they do in fact have some new systems to show us and rather than offically letting the cat out of the bag prematurely, they will just keep quiet until Monday

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 21, 2003, 12:40 AM

You are 100% right. But - since you've been doing this for several years now...you also know that some people can inadvertantly upload something to the production server that you meant to upload to the development server.

It happens.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2003, 12:57 AM

Originally posted by passmaster16:
Maybe they don't want to scare store customers with the idea that they may have been hacked
It may not be that simple. They're a retail site that displayed specs for a product they're not currently offering. If they had no intention of offering that product, wouldn't they be obliged to say so?
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Cipher13
Jun 21, 2003, 04:50 AM

Hack? No.

1. You can't hack Akamai.
2. If you *can* hack Akamai, you don't. You have better things to do, unless you want to be imprisoned.
3. If you *do* hack Akamai, it's for more than fscking with Apple fanboys.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 21, 2003, 05:04 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Hack? No.

2. If you *can* hack Akamai, you don't. You have better things to do, unless you want to be imprisoned.
sounds good to me

(i've been making a lotta thumbsup posts lately.. prolly cause i've been drunk while posting, and don't have much to say.. yea)
ice

nvaughan3
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2003, 06:28 AM

Serial ATA inline with Apple's typical use of technology ahead of the PC industry

Heh, SATA has been available for quite some time on PC's.
"Americans love their country and fear their government. Liberals love their government and fear the people."

""Gun control is a band-aid, feeling good approach to the nation's crime problem. It is easier for politicians to ban something than it is to condemn a murderer to death or a robber to life in prison. In essence, 'gun control' is the coward's way out.""

Nick_G
Jun 21, 2003, 07:28 AM

Steve did it to cause mayhem amongst us Mac users! He has a twisted sense of humour.
There are too many fools following too many rules.

passmaster16
Senior User
Jun 21, 2003, 03:31 PM

Hack? No.

Good Point.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 21, 2003, 03:51 PM

All I can say is that if Apple doesn't come up with some G5s on Monday, there's going to be a lot of disappointed people and a lot of bad press. The very fact that they aren't denying this (they're just ignoring it) says that it was real to me. Otherwise they're just setting themselves up for a big fall.

iWrite
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2003, 08:54 PM

xi_hyperon

Remember how much flack you gave me when I suggested it was a mistake?

Well, now that there are links referring to Apple now requiring a new Apple Store WW Manager AND a web designer I feel a little vindicated.

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2003, 08:20 AM

Hack? No.

If it was a hack, they didn't just hack Akamai - when the image was live, you could delete the akamai part and just be left with http://store.apple.com/images/promo/bulletlist1.gif or whatever it was, and that would load the G5 specs as well. That's coming off Apple's servers, not akamai. I wonder if akamai automatically mirrors apple's stuff, or if it needs a specific request.

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Forum Links
Forum Rules