Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > The difference bettween 10,20,40 simplified..

The difference bettween 10,20,40 simplified..
Mac_Guy15
Jan 20, 2004, 12:56 AM

I am debating if getting a 3rd generation 10GB ipod will make a difference in options like between the 20 and 40.

Like is the only difference between them all is howmany accessories you get and the size and such? Talking about the 3rd gen too might i add.

And will it work good on a imac G3 500mhz 384 something memory? I dont want to have any troubles, i am a noob bear with me.

Can people tell their stories of similar cases like me? Thx in advance.

davidflas
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2004, 03:40 AM

The 10GB model is discontinued,the new entry level iPod is the 15GB model which lacks some of the accessories that the 20GB and 40GB come with. Such as the dock, remote, and the carrying case. The main difference between the two larger ones is the number of songs they can hold. Also, The 40GB is slightly thicker than the other two.

The 40GB model is the best deal:

15GB = $19.93USD Per GB
20GB = $19.95USD Per GB
40GB = $12.48USD Per GB

Any of the iPod models should work just fine with your iMac, the main requirement is built in firewire, which you have. Of course more memory is always better, but that shouldn't have much of an effect when using an iPod.

I have an "old" third gen 30 GB model and love it
( Last edited by davidflas; Jan 20, 2004 at 03:52 AM. )
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2004, 07:21 PM

The 10, 15 and 20 GB 3G iPods are slightly thinner than the 30 and 40 GB ones. However, even the 30 and 40 GB ones are thinner than the thinnest earlier iPod (the 2G 10 GB).

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Forum Links
Forum Rules