Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Random dialing after Security Update 2004-02-23

Random dialing after Security Update 2004-02-23
bojangles
Senior User
Feb 24, 2004, 09:13 AM

We connect our Macs to the internet via a 56K router (I know; there�s no DSL in our area). Since running Security Update 2004-02-23, our G5�s internal modem keeps trying to connect at random intervals, thus screwing up the router�s connection already in progress. (No, we can�t disconnect the modem from the phone line; it�s also our fax.)

Any thoughts?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2004, 09:58 AM

Did you Repair Permissions after the update?

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Feb 24, 2004, 11:56 AM

Originally posted by gorickey:
Did you Repair Permissions after the update?
I did shortly after posting this; hasn�t happened since then, so maybe we�re good to go�?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 25, 2004, 06:44 PM

Just turn off dial-up networking if there's already a valid interface on the ethernet port. You know, there's this great little technology in Mac OS X (and Mac OS 9 and earlier) that lets you have network "Locations" with different settings associated with each...

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Feb 26, 2004, 12:20 AM

ust turn off dial-up networking if there's already a valid interface on the ethernet port. You know, there's this great little technology in Mac OS X (and Mac OS 9 and earlier) that lets you have network "Locations" with different settings associated with each...
Yeah, I use locations. They are nice, aren�t they? Anyway, the problem apparently was related to permissions, cuz since I repaired them from the Install disc, everything�s been hunky-dory.

Thanks!
—Abraham Lincoln

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2004, 12:29 AM

Originally posted by bojangles:
Anyway, the problem apparently was related to permissions, cuz since I repaired them from the Install disc, everything�s been hunky-dory.

Thanks!
Cool, glad it worked!

Forum Links
Forum Rules