Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > UT2k4 Voice chat with iSight??

UT2k4 Voice chat with iSight??
ARK
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2004, 02:57 PM

Does iSight's microphone work with the new UT2k4 patch so you can do in-game voice chat?

Yes or no? anyone?
- Dual 1Ghz Quicksilver /w 1G RAM, GeForce4 Ti, 17" Studio Display, Soundsticks, 10.4.11
- iPhone 3G 16G Black
- 30Gig Video iPod

- MacBook Pro or iMac (soon hopefully)

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2004, 04:00 PM

Works fine.

ARK  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2004, 04:47 PM

Hmm.. I may have to visit the Apple Store tomorrow. heheh
- Dual 1Ghz Quicksilver /w 1G RAM, GeForce4 Ti, 17" Studio Display, Soundsticks, 10.4.11
- iPhone 3G 16G Black
- 30Gig Video iPod

Wes
Apr 29, 2004, 09:08 PM

Would someone please tell me how to do it then? I have an iSight, but I can't seem to get voice chat to work.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2004, 10:11 PM

Hold F to talk and a volume meter will display on the left side of the screen then just talk. Only thing is for adjustments on the mic you must do that in the system preferences under Sound. You cant do it in game, that I've seen.

Under the Audio preferences in the game you can set if you want to voice between the team or publicly.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2004, 10:40 PM

Will the mic on an iMac work?

Wes
Apr 30, 2004, 12:50 AM

Ok then... if I host a game why can't I speak. It works fine on other internet servers, but when I host a game it doesn't work. ???

Applefreak01
Senior User
Apr 30, 2004, 12:52 AM

Get a USB headset. Way cheaper, works just fine without drivers, doesn't get a lot of background noise like the iSight.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

Hydra
Senior User
Apr 30, 2004, 01:43 AM

I had the same trouble with testing on my own computer locally when testing the iSight mic. On public servers that have it enabled it seems to work fine. Friends of mine using iSight mics seem to sound better in general than other mics. You can tell when it works when a bar meter shows up on the left side of the screen to show you sound level and the game sounds mute while you hold the F key down (I have my scroll-click mapped to the F key). This is good for people who play with big speakers blasting, so game sounds don't feedback into the game. It works like a walkie talkie in that it is push to talk and hold down till done speaking.

-Jerry C.

Wes
Apr 30, 2004, 03:23 AM

The sound does go away when I hit F, but the volume bar doesn't show up (at least on local games, like I said it works on internet games). What am I doing wrong?

Vash
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2004, 03:42 PM

Wes - when making your own server click the "show advanced options" checkbox under ServerRules iirc, and near the bottom is a check box for Voice Chat being enabled on the server.
Revenge is a meal best served cold.

Wes
Apr 30, 2004, 04:02 PM

I have "Allow private chat checked", in the rules. I don't get it...

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2004, 04:02 PM

iSight mic users probably sound better because the mic is really a stereo mic (2 mics). Basically it sounds more like FM radio than AM radio
Aloha

ARK  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2004, 05:39 PM

I tried it last night with my USB headset. It was a headset I bought for my Playstation 2. I hooked it up, made sure it was selected as audio input and I could talk in game. Headset was only $30 too. ehhehe
- iPhone 3G 16G Black
- 30Gig Video iPod

Applefreak01
Senior User
Apr 30, 2004, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by ARK:
I tried it last night with my USB headset. It was a headset I bought for my Playstation 2. I hooked it up, made sure it was selected as audio input and I could talk in game. Headset was only $30 too. ehhehe
Yep USB headset are the best for games. You can talk and listen at the same time if you get one with stereo sound output too. Even with my iSight I use my USB headset to do video chat because my buddies all say that when I use the iSight microphone they get a lot of background noise.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

Forum Links
Forum Rules