Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > webmail login panel directly on main websitepage?

webmail login panel directly on main websitepage?
antonio
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2004, 11:35 PM

i just saw a really nice interface on a website. it had the login screen for webmail on the main 'domain.com' page and allowed the user to login without having to memorize a bunch of backslashes, squirrelmail, or any other extensions beyond .com. how is this done? i'd love to just type my domain name and not the extra stuff in order access my webmail. can anyone point the way as to where i would learn more about this?

thanks

Nerozwei
Forum Regular
Jul 13, 2004, 02:41 AM

Originally posted by antonio:
i just saw a really nice interface on a website. it had the login screen for webmail on the main 'domain.com' page and allowed the user to login without having to memorize a bunch of backslashes, squirrelmail, or any other extensions beyond .com. how is this done? i'd love to just type my domain name and not the extra stuff in order access my webmail. can anyone point the way as to where i would learn more about this?

thanks
Not sure what you mean, but I'll give it a shot. If I understand correctly you would like domain.com index page to have login form for the webmail, right? HTML-forms can point to "any" address, so you should just create a form that sends the data to the webmail script.

So.. The webmail (webmail.domain.com) login has a form tag like this:

<form action="auth.php">

The action attribute points to the file auth.php in the webmail.domain.com domain. To send data to auth.php from some other page, you have to point to the whole URL in the action attribute:

<form action="http://webmail.domain.com/auth.php">

By having submitting a form with this action should let you login from another page. Just be sure to have identical fields (just copy the login form webmail.domain.com to be sure).

Hope this helps.

antonio  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 13, 2004, 07:29 AM

thank you! that's exactly what i needed to know (and what i think i saw on this one particular website that wowed me). i'll give it a shot, much appreciated.

Forum Links
Forum Rules