Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mail.app Can't Seem to Send

Mail.app Can't Seem to Send
ryju
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2004, 02:41 PM

I've just moved into my grandparents' house in preparation for college and I brought my router from home and set it all up.

Everything seems to work fine and dandy but whenever I try sending Mail through Mail.app it says "connecting to smtp server" and times out completely. I've tried this multiple times, webmail sends them fine.

Does anyone have some thoughts/advice on this? I appreciate it.

Wes
Oct 11, 2004, 03:20 PM

I had the same problem moving to college, its probably because your campus network people block port 25. Try using your campuses mail server. Probably "smtp.<yourschool>.edu".

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2004, 04:24 PM

or you can use postfix enabler to turn on panther's smtp server, and configure 127.0.0.1 as your smtp server.

one thing about it though. i am not sure if postfix was the cause or not, but email took a lot longer for people to get when i sent it through my localhost. strange. but if i am somehwere, like college, i will use my localhost to send, since my college won't let me send via port 25.

ryju  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2004, 04:29 PM

Nono I'm not using my college's internet or anything I'm using my grandparents' (not living on campus).

I could try opening port 25.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2004, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by ryju:
Nono I'm not using my college's internet or anything I'm using my grandparents' (not living on campus).

I could try opening port 25.

Is there connection by cable, Dsl, dialup?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2004, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by ryju:
I've just moved into my grandparents' house in preparation for college and I brought my router from home and set it all up.

Everything seems to work fine and dandy but whenever I try sending Mail through Mail.app it says "connecting to smtp server" and times out completely. I've tried this multiple times, webmail sends them fine.

Does anyone have some thoughts/advice on this? I appreciate it.
Check with your grandparents' ISP. Specifically, they'll tell you the name of the SMTP server you need to use. It's 99% likely they'll block your access to the .Mac SMTP server as it's not on their network, and that's a very common way to send spam.

You need to find the right (in network) SMTP server to use, and enter that in Mail.app.

For example, Comcast is smtp.west.comcast.net for west coast and smtp.east.comcast.net for east coast.

Forum Links
Forum Rules