Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.3.6 broke Samba access from Macromedia Homesite

10.3.6 broke Samba access from Macromedia Homesite
Nerozwei
Forum Regular
Nov 10, 2004, 03:16 AM

I'm using a setup of a PMG4 and HomeSite 5.5 on a Windows 2000 box. I connect to the Mac using the "Windows filesharing" feature. Everything works great, but 10.3.6 brought up a bug with Samba and Macromedia Homesite. Apparently HS uses some special method of connecting to shares since I can no longer access the shared drive from HS. I just get a "X is not accessible. Access is denied." -error. Explorer and other apps can access the share without problems.

The problem lies with Samba and has been documented here and here.

Is there any way of reverting / upgrading to a version of Samba that does not have this problem? I've got FINK setup, so would it be possible to install a new version? How tricky could this be?

Thanks

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2004, 09:01 AM

The newest relase candidate for Samba 3.0.6 has the patch included which fixes this problem. Theoretically you could download the source of 3.0.6RCxx, build it and install it in /usr/sbin/smbd. smbd is called via xinetd, so you don't have to worry about Sys prefs not finding it etc.
weird wabbit

Nerozwei  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 12, 2004, 08:52 AM

Originally posted by theolein:
The newest relase candidate for Samba 3.0.6 has the patch included which fixes this problem. Theoretically you could download the source of 3.0.6RCxx, build it and install it in /usr/sbin/smbd. smbd is called via xinetd, so you don't have to worry about Sys prefs not finding it etc.
Thanks for your reply. At the moment I'm happily overiding the problem by opening the sites directory directly (f:/sites/). That works just fine for now, but It' good to know that I could update Samba without worrying about ***king up sys prefs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules