Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Enable Two-Finger-Scrolling with pre-2005 PowerBooks and iBooks!!

Enable Two-Finger-Scrolling with pre-2005 PowerBooks and iBooks!! (Page 2)
Stradlater
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2005, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by azdude:
Unix gods:

How do I get this enhancement to stick after a reboot?
Read the entire site.

In case you'd like to install the modified driver permanently...
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

sbdaigo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2005, 06:47 PM

Hey, could someone make a step by step �plain idiot� directions? I know that there is work on an installer, but this may help a lot of us. Thanks!
MacBook Pro 15’er - 120 HD, 2gig Ram

zzimbob
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2005, 06:59 PM

I'm hoping that the SideTrack developer is able to get SideTrack to work with the new PB's trackpads. The tapping/clicking options for the trackpad are way more beneficial to me than any new scrolling feature. Scrolling is a one-handed operation either with the keyboard or trackpad. Unless you're using a mouse, right-clicking is a two-handed operation with everything but SideTrack. Apple really needs to pull their heads out on this one and give us scrolling AND addition clicking options. Their obstinance on this issue is ridiculous.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2005, 07:27 PM

Success on my rev b 12" - took no time at all, downloaded the file, ran the 2 terminal commands, and IT WORKS! Really sweet-

L
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

milhouse
Senior User
Feb 11, 2005, 07:48 PM

Sidetrack's functionality still kicks @ss...
"-Dodge This"

amutti
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2005, 09:00 PM

With 10.3.8, with the new driver loaded, the "Keyboard & Mouse" preference pane says "Trackpad Gestures:" with nothing following . . .

Seems like there might be the potential to access some more "fine-tuning" aspects of Apples implementation.

EDIT: Actually, after 10.3.8 I had this show up, regardless of the new driver. My iBook just says "Trackpad Options"
( Last edited by amutti; Feb 11, 2005 at 09:13 PM. )

ARENA
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2005, 09:20 PM

Originally posted by amutti:
With 10.3.8, with the new driver loaded, the "Keyboard & Mouse" preference pane says "Trackpad Gestures:" with nothing following . . .

Seems like there might be the potential to access some more "fine-tuning" aspects of Apples implementation.

EDIT: Actually, after 10.3.8 I had this show up, regardless of the new driver. My iBook just says "Trackpad Options"
I'm on 10.3.8 and i don't have this option in my PowerBook G5 1.5 Ghz.

notb4dinner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2005, 04:19 AM

Originally posted by RonnieoftheRose:
For the last time, circular motions depicted on Apple's site demonstrate how you can scroll around large documents that don't fit in a window horiztonally or vertically. The only reason you saw what you saw is because of the upward and downward motion of your fingers. If you use a circular motion on a window that only shows a vertical scroll bar the page will simply move down a little then back up, not continously down. It would be nice if it worked like the iPod wheel (a haxie might allow that), but it doesn't.
There's quite clearly code in the source for tracking a circular movement. Look it up yourself if need be...

Beverly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2005, 12:15 PM

I have an older Al 15" PB, 1.25Ghz, purchased 11/03.

Not a Terminal person, but I was able to run the Trackpad check (confirmed presence of W-enhanced trackpad), and install the (XY) driver. However, after trying it out for a day, I re-installed Sidetrack. I find it is MUCH more sensitive, and the side-scroll is less awkward than moving a second finger onto the trackpad. Of course, this may all be just what I'm used to, but I think it's a great program, especially when you add the corner clicks etc. etc.

Viva Sidetrack!
Signing Off

Nerozwei
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2005, 01:08 PM

Works for me, running an iBook 1GHz (april 2004). Good stuff. I used to use sidetrack, but then it expired and I forgot about it

ariatank
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2005, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by wy4tt:
Too bad it doesn't work with my 15" 1.25. I really like the 2 finger scroll on my buddy's 12". Oh well. Sidetrack works.
Really? It works on my 15" 1.25 that I bought less than two weeks after they came out in Sept 2003. Did you remember to disable SideTrack before trying this driver or checking ioreg -l | grep "W Enhanced Trackpad"?

tungtied07  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2005, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by notb4dinner:
There's quite clearly code in the source for tracking a circular movement. Look it up yourself if need be...
2nd!
A friend showed me that same thing your talking about (the code))
15" PowerBook 1.5GHz (CTO): SuperDrive, 5400rpm 80GB 16mb Cache, 1.5GB RAM/Backlit Keyboard/Radeon 9700 128MB/MacOS X 10.4.2

amutti
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2005, 07:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by amutti:

I'm on 10.3.8 and i don't have this option in my PowerBook G5 1.5 Ghz

This is what I have as a pref pane in OS 10.3.8 on my 1.5Ghz PB.

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2005, 10:27 PM

Two finger scrolling is working for me on this revB 12" pb bought in Nov '03.

I did the Terminal check and installed the revised driver even though I had Sidetrack installed (I'd forgotten and only realised when I rebooted and nothing happened). Uninstalled Sidetrack, rebooted, now two finger scrolling works perfectly. Delighted!

edit - OMG! Two fingers plus click = right clicking! THIS IS MINT!

RonnieoftheRose
Feb 12, 2005, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by notb4dinner:
There could be code but it hasn't been implemented at all. Read my post "a haxie might allow that". Also future OS updates. At the moment any circular movements like the iPod do nothing but allow you to pan around a large document that doesn't fit in a window.

The PowerBook site says "That�s why every 12-inch PowerBook G4 features a new trackpad with scrolling capability. Just drag two fingers over the trackpad to scroll vertically and horizontally or pan around any active window."
( Last edited by RonnieoftheRose; Feb 12, 2005 at 10:51 PM. )

amutti
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2005, 10:50 PM

Can someone with a new powerbook open the local .GlobalPreferences.plist
and tell me what the possible mouse prefs are? If you open the file in the property list editor, the mouse prefs should look like? I have one called "com.apple.trackpad.scrollBehavior = 0". Sounds like the apple pref controling the XY scroll behavior. I was specifically wondering if there was a scrollwheel.scaling for the trackpad?

JohnCunningham
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 13, 2005, 07:15 PM

The link to the instructions page seems to be down again, and I can't even retrieve the files themselves using the links on the cached page on Google. Any chance a kind soul will mirror the files themselves?
TIA
John

tungtied07  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2005, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by JohnCunningham:
The link to the instructions page seems to be down again, and I can't even retrieve the files themselves using the links on the cached page on Google. Any chance a kind soul will mirror the files themselves?
TIA
John
I have the instructions in a pdf format of the site and the AppleADBMouse.kext driver in my public share folder of the user ID:
ptung007

To access it, go to the finder (your desktop), go menu -> iDisk -> Other User's iDisk Public Folder

Good luck! I still havn't been able to try it out yet...my powerbook is still at the Apple Store Shop getting repaired...
15" PowerBook 1.5GHz (CTO): SuperDrive, 5400rpm 80GB 16mb Cache, 1.5GB RAM/Backlit Keyboard/Radeon 9700 128MB/MacOS X 10.4.2

ARENA
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2005, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by mintcake:

edit - OMG! Two fingers plus click = right clicking! THIS IS MINT!
I don't have that right click functionallity...weird.

tungtied07  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 13, 2005, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by ARENA:
I don't have that right click functionallity...weird.
Wow, if that feature is true, it shows that Apple's trackpads and probably their hardware has alot of potentional... Apple must be having tons of trouble to develop the drivers or just wants to hold back on us.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2005, 09:48 PM

Where is my easy installer. I don't have xcode on my PB and I hardly ever mess around with terminal. Am I affraid of nothing? This really looks promising, especially the right click part (I use right click by tapping the trackpad via sidetrack, but that sux).
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 13, 2005, 11:58 PM

There's nothing to be afraid of, assuming you know how to copy and paste. It's worth it, it's a fantastic improvement.

ARENA
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2005, 01:34 AM

Originally posted by mintcake:
There's nothing to be afraid of, assuming you know how to copy and paste. It's worth it, it's a fantastic improvement.
But how did you get the right click functionallity??

DETurner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2005, 01:50 AM

I have a few things to add to the discussion:

1.) If I'm reading my serial number correctly, my 17" 1GHz PowerBook was manufactured in late May/early June 2003 (which is reasonable, since I bought it in August 2003). It passed the compatibility test, and I successfully installed the X/Y hack.

2.) For those who can't locate the precompiled binaries, go to the bottom of the iscroll 2 site
http://www-users.kawo2.rwth-aachen.de/~razzfazz/
and click on one of the links for the various versions. As of the time of this post, the most current version link is:
http://www-users.kawo2.rwth-aachen.d...z/2.0.10-dub-4
This link will open a directory containing the source code and the three variants of the precompiled binaries.

3.) For those who don't have the "2-fingers + click = right click" functionality, this was added in the Feb 12 update available at the link in #2, above.

Enjoy!

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2005, 03:49 AM

Originally posted by DETurner:

3.) For those who don't have the "2-fingers + click = right click" functionality, this was added in the Feb 12 update available at the link in #2, above.

Enjoy!
How nice is this?! Damn, just the other day I had a PC user asking about my powerbook and how it was limited to just one mouse button. If I only had this far more elegant solution then. This is really going to save stretching the fingers. (I know I could have used Sidetrack before, but ....)

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2005, 03:57 AM

I'll stick with SideTrack. More functionality. And it sticks after a reboot or logout.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 14, 2005, 04:18 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
I'll stick with SideTrack. More functionality. And it sticks after a reboot or logout.
You can make this stick if you replace the system files

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2005, 04:39 AM

Originally posted by ism:
You can make this stick if you replace the system files
But you can't enable clicks and right clicks.

David Hagan
Forum Regular
Feb 14, 2005, 08:09 AM

If I have one of the new PowerBooks with the scrolling track pad, if I used System Restore or Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the new PowerBook to the last revision PowerBook, would the scroll feature work? Hmmmmmm.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 14, 2005, 08:11 AM

Originally posted by David Hagan:
If I have one of the new PowerBooks with the scrolling track pad, if I used System Restore or Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the new PowerBook to the last revision PowerBook, would the scroll feature work? Hmmmmmm.
No. It's been mentioned that it's hardware not software.

tungtied07  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2005, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by DETurner:
I have a few things to add to the discussion:

1.) If I'm reading my serial number correctly, my 17" 1GHz PowerBook was manufactured in late May/early June 2003 (which is reasonable, since I bought it in August 2003). It passed the compatibility test, and I successfully installed the X/Y hack.

2.) For those who can't locate the precompiled binaries, go to the bottom of the iscroll 2 site
http://www-users.kawo2.rwth-aachen.de/~razzfazz/
and click on one of the links for the various versions. As of the time of this post, the most current version link is:
http://www-users.kawo2.rwth-aachen.d...z/2.0.10-dub-4
This link will open a directory containing the source code and the three variants of the precompiled binaries.

Enjoy!
Wow! Thats awesome thanks!! I'm also very excited about the right click functionality with the newer drivers! Can't wait to try it out!
I also added the updated files to my iDisk public folder just in case the site goes down again..

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2005, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by tungtied07:
Wow! Thats awesome thanks!! I'm also very excited about the right click functionality with the newer drivers! Can't wait to try it out!
I also added the updated files to my iDisk public folder just in case the site goes down again..
Is this new Februrary 12 release based on the 10.3.8 drivers? Anyway, I am delighted to see that this elegant solution is taken a new step forward. Cudos to the coder. Excellent work!

Sophus

tungtied07  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2005, 10:46 AM

Originally posted by Sophus:
Is this new Februrary 12 release based on the 10.3.8 drivers? Anyway, I am delighted to see that this elegant solution is taken a new step forward. Cudos to the coder. Excellent work!

Sophus
Looks like sidetrack might have some competition now..all the person has to do is to make a user friendly installer...
Maybe someone could make one with the option to check if the computer can support the functions.

brapper
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2005, 02:22 PM

why not the tibooks?

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2005, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by johnpop:
Also, it sometimes I try to scroll down in Firefox and the browser navigates backwards, wtf! anyone experienced something similar?
I think this is a problem with Firefox as I have similar problem with it when using sidetrack. When using the horizontal scroll, instead of scrolling across a large page it goes backwards and forwards through previously loaded webpages. No other browser does this so as I say it would seem that there is something not quite right in Firefox.
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2005, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by Mike Pither:
I think this is a problem with Firefox as I have similar problem with it when using sidetrack. When using the horizontal scroll, instead of scrolling across a large page it goes backwards and forwards through previously loaded webpages. No other browser does this so as I say it would seem that there is something not quite right in Firefox.
Read the thread. There is a link somewhere to a page with directions to disable this feature in Firefox. Yes, it is a feature, but it is incompatible with the scrolling trackpad

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2005, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by Sophus:
Read the thread. There is a link somewhere to a page with directions to disable this feature in Firefox. Yes, it is a feature, but it is incompatible with the scrolling trackpad
Opps sorry! Next time before replying I will read the later posts in case there is already an answer. It's interesting however to note that it is a "feature" as I have also seem it mentioned on another forum sometime ago (not macnn) as bug!"

ps link to macosxhints doesn't work though (page not found message)
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

tungtied07  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2005, 07:06 PM

Well, I finally got my powerbook back from the Apple Store repaired. Everything looks great, the hinge doesn't pop/stick anymore!!

Anways, I tried out the hack for the 1st time today, and it doesn't work! What am I doing wrong? I tried downloading the newest ones and it says its loaded successfuly and when I try it out, it doesn't work.
Could someone please tell me what to do? lol
It appears that the powerbook supports it because when I type in the code, it shows that it has the W-enhanced trackpad.
Thanks again!
-Paul

tungtied07  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2005, 10:43 PM

Well, I finally got my powerbook back from the Apple Store repaired. Everything looks great, the hinge doesn't pop/stick anymore!!

Anways, I tried out the hack for the 1st time today, and it doesn't work! What am I doing wrong? I tried downloading the newest ones and it says its loaded successfuly and when I try it out, it doesn't work.
It appears that the powerbook supports it because when I type in the code, it shows that it has the W-enhanced trackpad.
Thanks again!
-Paul

It works now!!! Its amazing!!! Please Apple, in 10.4, enable 2 finger scrolling w/o hacks/mods!

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2005, 07:34 AM

Originally posted by Mike Pither:
Opps sorry! Next time before replying I will read the later posts in case there is already an answer. It's interesting however to note that it is a "feature" as I have also seem it mentioned on another forum sometime ago (not macnn) as bug!"

ps link to macosxhints doesn't work though (page not found message)

I figured that you had overlooked the answer. The feature is supposed to work with other mouse configurations, allowing for easy navigation in Firefox, but due to incompatability, it is more likely seen as a bug, or unwanted feature by users with the hacked mouse driver.

The URL seems to be truncated. You should probably find the correct article by going to macosxhints.
( Last edited by Sophus; Feb 15, 2005 at 07:46 AM. )

Abbas
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 15, 2005, 09:09 AM

I'm surprised that people are so excited about this application. I've been using Sidetrack for almost three months now and have it set to do the following:

1) Sliding your finger on the right or bottom edges scrolls the page vertically or horizontally

2) Tapping the trackpad emulates a left click

3) Pressing the trackpad button emulates a right click.

4) Tapping the top left and bottom left corners uses the Expose' F9 and F11 functions.

Its all quite easy to use and adds to a much better usability experience.

-Abbas

cwagar
Feb 15, 2005, 05:04 PM

A followup:

A few weeks ago I mentioned (and started a thread) about a co-worker who had hacked up the ADB Mouse driver in this same way. At the time he was not ready to share the fruits of his labor.

Here is his version of the 'sticky fingers' scroll hack that includes an installer.

Two Finger Scrolling Driver

This one works much the same way as the other driver in this thread, except includes an installer.

Enjoy,

Clayton

PS - I abandoned the thread last week because of the signal-to-noise, especially with the "I LOVE SIDETRACK" responses. I don't need those. I didn't care for Sidetrack at all. I love two finger scrolling. I don't think Apple's gonna sue over two finger scrolling. Any responses discussing Sidetrack will be summarily dismissed. I've been using this driver for two weeks now and it's great.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2005, 06:25 PM

There we go. Only thing is I would really like the two fingers+click=right click feature. I think once we have an installer with this feature included I'll be one happy dude.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2005, 07:22 PM

Thanks again!
-Paul

cool, check your private messages

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

jpbjpbjpb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2005, 09:40 PM

I wrote a howto for setting up a StartupItem to load the driver without replacing Apple's stock kext.

They're on my blog at http://digitalhominid.blogspot.com

jpbjpbjpb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 16, 2005, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by sbdaigo:
Hey, could someone make a step by step �plain idiot� directions? I know that there is work on an installer, but this may help a lot of us. Thanks!
I posted a howto showing exactly how to get this to load every boot without having to replace the stock Apple kext.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2005, 02:04 AM

Anybody use the installer supplied by cwager (or his friend) yet?

cwagar
Feb 18, 2005, 11:49 AM

So I've used iScroll2 and I like the two-fingers-plus-click feature. But the developer hasn't produced an installer.

So the way I read it, here's where we're at:

iScroll2: Sticky Scrolling, two finger right click, but no installer and replaces the Apple standard kext.

TrackScrolling: Scrolling only, but has installer and loads in addition to the Apple standard.

I'm thinking of hacking iScroll2 to load higer than Apple's kext (it's just an Info.plist) and making an installer. Unless anyone else is already doing the same thing??

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2005, 12:21 PM

Who cares beat'em to the punch. I want to use this scroll and right click thing, but I have never used Terminal other than finding a few easter eggs, checking my Batt and running cron scripts. I just want to two finger scroll like the rest of you (hopefully some developer takes pity in me).

cwagar
Feb 18, 2005, 02:26 PM

Here ya go:

http://www.wagar.net/TrackScroll-1.0.pkg.zip

This is the iScroll2 driver, with a few changes to allow it to load in addition to the Apple driver. This lets you hold down the shift key on startup to bypass the iScroll driver in case you have trouble.

I just did a fresh install on my wife's Powerbook, which never had any of this garbage on before, and it worked great.

Enjoy,

Clayton
clayton [at] wagar.net

Forum Links
Forum Rules