Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook G4 OS X Backing up My Documents onto Thumb Drive?

iBook G4 OS X Backing up My Documents onto Thumb Drive?
dejola
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 13, 2005, 08:09 AM

Hi, I could use some help with an iBook G4.

My friend has an iBook G4 with a broken screen which has to be replaced. It is in the repair shop right now. They want $200 to back up her My Documents folder. I told her that I have a USB Thumb Drive and would be happy to back up her stuff for free. But I'm not a MAC user and I'm not sure how to proceed.

She wants her My Documents folder backed up and one addition file called Resume.doc. (I think she means that resume.doc has its own shortcut or icon.

She is running OS X. The screen is still usable, although there are blck lines here and there radiating out of an impact spot.

All I know is to plug in the USB thumb drive in the USB port on the computer. But what do I do next? Somehow I doubt that guy at the computer shop (who wants $200 to do this) will be anxious to show me, and my friend, the computer's owner, is unavailable.

Thanks.

Hoping for a reply by about noon eastern time.

John

nbn22385
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2005, 12:10 PM

Open a finder window (first icon in dock) and drag desired folders/documents into the thumb drive, which will be pictured both on the desktop and in the sidebar of the finder window. Use the search in the finder window if you don't know the locations of files. She most likely wants the Documents folder, which is "Username>Documents" in the finder.

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2005, 01:18 PM

I suggest that you back up her entire User folder if possible. You can transfer everything onto an external USB or FireWire hard drive.

Nerozwei
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2005, 09:25 AM

Also remember that you could boot the iBook in target disk mode and copy the files to another laptop. Just hold down t when booting. Then you can use the iBook as an external firewire drive.

f1000
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2005, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Nerozwei
Also remember that you could boot the iBook in target disk mode and copy the files to another laptop. Just hold down t when booting. Then you can use the iBook as an external firewire drive.
I have a feeling that the original poster doesn't have a Mac to transfer files to.

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2005, 03:24 PM

$200 for a backup? Wow. That's quite a charge.

As the others mentioned, backing up the files should be a simple drag and drop. You can also compress the folder first if you want to preserve the contents as is (and shrink it down as well) using File > Create Archive Of ...

Forum Links
Forum Rules