Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > What defines a Primative Religion?

What defines a Primative Religion?
Y3a
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 07:22 AM

With all the usless religious blather on recent threads, I figured that all those experts could comment on the superstitions that are labeled religions, and which religion is 'most modern' vs ones mired in dogma etc.

Is Scientology ACTUALLY a religion, or just a set of lifestyle beliefs?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2005, 07:28 AM

That depends on whom you ask.

Many governments have decided that it is NOT a religion, but a business. Some have additionally found that its aims and methods are anti-Constitutional, warranting constant observation.

(And it's "primitive"; I'm not sure how you'd define "primative" except perhaps "relating to hominids and great apes?")

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2005, 09:39 AM

From what little i know....id classify a religion as primitive if:
-resists change in culture (clothes, foods, lifestyles) After all...this is all one big experiment and if religion preaches a 'way to live your life', it needs to allow for changes and improvement over time. (my opinion of course)
-preaches/allows for intolerance towards ppl who follow other religions/ways of life.

Even though Dogma could be used to classify a religion as 'primitive', it seems to be a characteristic of all religions past and present in my opinion. Whether it be a chant, song, dresscode, etc.

Just my opinion though.

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 10:42 AM

A definition of a primative religion is believing that a non-creator is your own deity:

tree worship = environmentalistwackoism
animal worship = petaists

Both of these religions have a place for those who hate the very idea of a creator but of course have a built in need to worship something so they have reverted to primitive tree and animal worship.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2005, 11:00 AM

"Primitive Religions" are those religions practiced and followed primarily by those in preliterate cultures. People deep in the jungles, etc. -- though many people are getting more and more interested in such practices. There's even a new show on Discovery called "Going Tribal" or something like that, and a big portion of what the guy will be doing is related to the tribe's religious beliefs.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Scientist
Senior User
Aug 3, 2005, 01:34 PM

Primitive religions are those that are least derived from the original protoreligion. So if ancestor worship was the original religion then the most primitive religions would be those that deal exclusively with this type of worship and obstain from any modification or extension to it.

I disagree that preliterate cultures necessarily have more primitive religions than other societies. Their people have likely been religious for just as long as the main world religions. I wouldn't be surprised if these religions change even quicker than more widespread ones. If so they can be considered more advanced. But it all depends on what aspect of the religion we are stressing. Christianity and Islam are/were certainly the most advanced religions when it comes to winning converts.
Is it not reasonable to anticipate that our understanding of the human mind would be aided greatly by knowing the purpose for which it was designed?
-George C. Williams

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2005, 02:20 PM

2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, ...
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 3, 2005, 02:54 PM

My post was merely the definition of what Primitive Religion is, since it's a Thing and not an idea. Now, the the starter was wanting to discuss the idea of whether or not a religion is primitive, then that's a different thing...

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 3, 2005, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, ...
Is 1 a Prime?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Aug 3, 2005, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by placebo1969
Is 1 a Prime?
nope. Neither prime nor composite... it's the loneliest number that you'll ever do.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Scientist
Senior User
Aug 3, 2005, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
My post was merely the definition of what Primitive Religion is, since it's a Thing and not an idea. Now, the the starter was wanting to discuss the idea of whether or not a religion is primitive, then that's a different thing...

Maury
I prefer my definition. Although in truth I think the whole concept of "primitive religion" is pretty worthless.
Is it not reasonable to anticipate that our understanding of the human mind would be aided greatly by knowing the purpose for which it was designed?
-George C. Williams

Y3a  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2005, 06:40 PM

Would early "American Indian" belief systems be considered Primative?

Africian ones?

Pagan?

When does a superstition become a religion?

Hugi
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 3, 2005, 07:26 PM

All religions except my own are primitive.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2005, 04:22 AM

All religions except pure mysticism are primitive, originating in fear and ignorance.
Some religions manage to partially rise above their origin.
I am a Buddhist. Buddhism is really a combination of philosophy and psychology, not a religion in the Western sense of the word.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Forum Links
Forum Rules