Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Do I need PCI-X?

Do I need PCI-X?
bojangles
Senior User
Jul 10, 2006, 05:01 AM

Okay… I’m showing my inexperience here. I’m adding additional storage to my Rev. A Power Mac G5. I’ve already filled both stock drive bays—a 160GB Seagate in each—so last week, I picked up a G5 Drive Bracket so I can mount up to three more drives inside the case. My plan is to pick up a couple more SATA hard drives (probably SATA II, but I haven’t gotten that far yet), and RAIDs are certainly not out of the question. Either way, though, I will of course require a controller card.

So here’s my question: since SATA drives are limited to 300 MBps, does it make any sense to spend the extra money on a PCI-X controller? Good ol’ 66-MHz PCI has a peak 64-bit transfer rate of 533 MBps, which seems like it would be more than enough for either of the above; even at 60% of the theoretical maximum, the PCI bus can handle even SATA II speeds with room to spare. But what of real-world performance? Furthermore, would my Mac even utilize the 64-bit transfer rates, or would some factor I’m not considering limit old-school PCI to 32-bit rates, anyway? (I know I’ve got a 64-bit machine, but stranger things have happened.) …and would this all be moot if I built a striped array, since I assume that would boost my drive’s theoretical max to 600 MBps? Ah, so many factors….

On a related note, I’ve got my current 160GB drives in a striped array. For safety’s sake, I’m probably going to get a 320GB drive and mirror this. I assume another SATA I drive would be best for this, since the existing array would limit the entire RAID? …or should I just spend the extra $$ and get an SATA II, which would be a little more future-proof?

The bottom line is that if I’m going to do this, I’d like to do it right.

Please discuss.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 10, 2006, 08:31 AM

While the SATA II bus can go up to 300MBps, in the real world you'll only see that for at best about 0.03 seconds while you empty the drive's cache (assuming the data you want is cached). The sustained transfer rates are down around 60-90MBps for current drives.

Forum Links
Forum Rules