Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Iran claims AIDS research breakthrough

Iran claims AIDS research breakthrough
Y3a
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2006, 10:24 AM

TEHRAN, Sept. 6 (UPI) -- Iran's Ministry of Health claimed to have made a medical breakthrough with a formula to control symptoms of AIDS.
The state-controlled IRNA news agency quoted an unidentified ministry employee as saying, "The research studies to find out a formula to cure AIDS was initiated during the tenure of two former health ministers and have led to useful results."
Former Minister of Health and Medical Education Dr. Mohammad Farhadi said the chemical and herbal treatment appeared effective on other immune disorders as well.
"The theory was to determine whether or not it is possible to boost the immunity system of the body. Some 60 projects were initiated to attain the result," Farhadi said in the IRNA report.
The announcement came a day before an international meeting to discuss U.N. sanctions against Iran for refusing to curtail the enrichment of uranium or allow its monitoring.

==================================

BS or NOT???

Do you think this is just to get a headline, or do you think they have actually accomplished something?

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2006, 10:25 AM

Is it bad that my first thought was they were gonna nuke AIDs victims?

powerbook867
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2006, 10:38 AM

hmmm...sounds sorta like BS...but, hey, if these guys have brought something of value to the world, then good for them (and the world)
Joe

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2006, 10:39 AM

Why take any chances?!! Nuke 'em!!!

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2006, 10:41 AM

Yeah, Iran having an AIDS breakthrough is about as believable as Iran pursuing peaceful nuclear technology only.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Obi Wan's Ghost
Baninated
Sep 6, 2006, 10:51 AM

Woo, so they claim they can cure AIDS but they're so clever they think God wrote a book and base their whole nation on it?

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2006, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Yeah, Iran having an AIDS breakthrough is about as believable as Iran pursuing peaceful nuclear technology only.
NUKE NUKE NUKE

V

USB HUB
Forum Regular
Sep 6, 2006, 11:07 AM

I lean toward BS .... "unidentified ministry employee" and "two former health ministers".
Leaves it as non-confirmed. I think is more of a politcal ploy to not have sanctions placed against them. Unless the chemical they used was 'uranium'????

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2006, 11:08 AM

So that's who Comical Ali/Baghdad Bob is working for these days.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

LegendaryPinkOx
Senior User
Sep 6, 2006, 12:10 PM

The Middle east was credited with great strides in medicine throughout history. I don't see why a few fundamentalists would want to stop that tradition.

enlighten yourselves! : http://www.studentbmj.com/issues/06/...torials/91.php
are you lightfooted?

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Obi Wan's Ghost
Woo, so they claim they can cure AIDS but they're so clever they think God wrote a book and base their whole nation on it?
that was a quick one.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2006, 12:26 PM

Only naive idiots would believe that this is NOT a tactical maneuver.

-t

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2006, 12:44 PM

Time to nuke them!!

or something them lying bastards......

or something like that......

"Learn to swim"

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 6, 2006, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
BS or NOT???

Do you think this is just to get a headline, or do you think they have actually accomplished something?
Are they willing to do the properly scientific thing and publish the details of the study so that it can be duplicated? If they were, it would go a long way toward my believing them on this.

Then again, as others have pointed out, the Iranian government doesn't seem big on the whole verification thing these days.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2006, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
Is it bad that my first thought was they were gonna nuke AIDs victims?
mine, unfortunately, was that they'd be beheaded. i have such a sick sense of humor. sorry.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2006, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by LegendaryPinkOx
The Middle east was credited with great strides in medicine throughout history. I don't see why a few fundamentalists would want to stop that tradition.

enlighten yourselves! : sBMJ | How Islam changed medicine
Fundamentalists want to stop all such tradition. Maybe not in Iran, but generally.

Let's just say that like with *any* claim from *anyone* regarding AIDS breakthroughs, I'll believe it when I see it and see it work.

PS. 500 years ago? A lot has happened since then..

V

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2006, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Obi Wan's Ghost
This is a discussion about Iran, not the United States. Off topic.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2006, 11:00 PM

Get the paper published in Science / Nature / major scientific journal and have it fully verified, and then I'll think about believing it. Unitl then, it's just piss.

I'm part of a research lab - this is my response to anything that novel.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2006, 11:06 PM

Iran: "If you guys nuke us you won't have a cure for AIDs"

next up: Iran cures common cold and most cancers.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2006, 11:42 PM

I'm thinking BS.

But, interestingly, about 5 years ago I was introduced to this crazy old German guy who told me in hushed tones, while he was drunk, that during the War (I assume WWII) his plane was shot down over some remote area of Africa. While stuck here for some time he encountered a group of people with a strange disease and learned from them how to treat it. Some decades later, as AIDS began to capture headlines in the Western world, he recognized that it was the same disease which he encountered back in Africa. Since then he had been trying to sell his "treatment"; first to American pharmaceuticals and then after they turned him down he started shopping around to other buyers. When I spoke with him he told me he had recently reached an agreement with Iran. Then, with the money he had received from Iran, he offered to front me a million dollars to start up a design studio.

Of course, I immediately concluded he was either a liar or deluded. I played his game for about 2 weeks of lunches and coffee to discuss business plans (an offer of a million dollars is hard to ignore), but he kept stringing me along with excuse after excuse as to why the money wasn't available yet. The friend who introduced me to this guy was a real-estate agent and had been showing him multi-million dollar houses for several months. Between the two of us, we decided that this old guy had concocted the elaborate story as a means to get attention.

Now, however, I'm beginning to wonder (just a little) if this guy was telling the truth ...

Forum Links
Forum Rules