Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > My new 1970s Pimpotronic Quadraphonic Stereo (jpg orgy)

My new 1970s Pimpotronic Quadraphonic Stereo (jpg orgy) (Page 3)
Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
Are you a repeat offender ?
That's what I'm wondering. Cuz if he's not, that's BS.

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 26, 2006, 11:51 AM

tooki disagrees with you.

In his opinion, Rob is still (always has been, and always will be) a member. A banned member, nonetheless.

-t
No offense to tooki, but tooki makes up the rules as he goes along.

When I was banned, I was told by tooki himself, that me reporting people for attacking me would be ignored since I wasn't supposed to be there in the first place. That I was "fair game"

I guess this rule only applies when he sees fit.

Like most rules in this forum.

There has never been any consistancy.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2006, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
No offense to tooki, but tooki makes up the rules as he goes along.

When I was banned, I was told by tooki himself, that me reporting people for attacking me would be ignored since I wasn't supposed to be there in the first place. That I was "fair game"

I guess this rule only applies when he sees fit.
Like most rules in this forum.

There has never been any consistancy.
Unfortunately, you are right.

I understand that they are just human, but their unwillingness to admit mistakes is really what bothers me.

-t

Kevin
Baninated
Sep 26, 2006, 11:57 AM

Agreed

Railroader
Banned
Sep 26, 2006, 12:07 PM

This is another thing that I don't understand about the mods and their ban practice:

If you misbehave in the PWL, they always only ban you from the PWL.
If you misbehave in the Lounge, they ban you from ALL forums.

I asked tooki about that when I was banned w/o warning, if I could at lest get access to the technical forums. No reply. Doesn't make sense to me.

-t
As Kevin says, tooki mods the way he mods and there's no arguing with him.

I just hope we don't get banned for all of this.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2006, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
As Kevin says, tooki mods the way he mods and there's no arguing with him.
I just hope we don't get banned for all of this.
LOL, I would post in in the feedback Lounge, but I know it would just get locked there, too.

So, yeah, IBL.

-t

Y3a
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2006, 12:19 PM

Are you a repeat offender ?

How often have to been banned and un-banned ?

-t
I was banned in '00 for what I can't remember.

came back in '04 I think...Maybe 05.
Banned in June 06 for 2 weeks, and banninated again in Aug of '06.

I guess I'm a repeat O-fender.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 26, 2006, 12:23 PM

Yeah, the twice in a period of two months probably ain't helpin' ya.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 26, 2006, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Did they give you a return date? If not, just wait awhile and ask nicely for the ban to be lifted.

You're lucky, I was banned from the entire forums.
Forum-wide bans can be set to automatically expire. The system supports that feature.

A ban specific to one forum is done via permissions adjustments, and has to be done manually by an Admin. So if they don't remember to let you back into the PL, you should ask. Assuming you don't refer to an Admin's parentage and hygiene habits during the request, the worst they will do is say 'no'. And they might just say 'yes'.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2006, 02:06 PM

Does the Moderator who banned you have to be the one to reinstate you?

Y3a
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2006, 02:19 PM

Back on subject. that 1970's era quad system...

Anybody play with the Dynaco quad adaptor? I had a buddy who was a Crown dealer then, and he had 4 JBL SR8(big 4 way studio monitor) and 4 DC-300a's and 2 D-150's and he also had a really super Crown 4 channel reel-to-reel deck. It was a CX-844 in the floor cabinet. He had 2 of the IC150a preamps to control the stuff, and a DB systems preamp into the Dynaco fake-oh 4 channel (derived) adaptor. it was fun for a few years, and then He got an Advent Videobeam projection TV. In about a month he had sold everything but a DC300a and IC150, and the Reel-to-Reel. He got a pair of ESS AMT1 Towers and ditched them in a month for a pair of AR-LST's. He STILL uses it and eveything still works perfect. He's had the controls of the pre-amp replaced 2 times though. DC300a is STILL A BEAST!

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 26, 2006, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
Does the Moderator who banned you have to be the one to reinstate you?
No. We all cooperate, and I don't think any mod would reinstate someone who the others really believe shouldn't be un-banned, but any of us can ban or un-ban. Makes it much easier to deal with early Sunday morning cell phone spammers, let me tell you!

Anyway, we generally discuss things like what deserves a ban and what deserves a stern warning, though we have no hard and fast rules. We need to be nimble, so we have a good deal of discression. And let me say up front that we ALL have been pushed past what most people would consider the breaking point by users who just cannot take "don't do it" for its face value. On the whole, we keep our collective cool a lot better than you'd think. So we don't act on grudges (if we hold them at all), nor do we forget track records. "With great power comes great responsibility" is more than a line from a comic book and movie. We take that seriously.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2006, 04:48 PM

question:
since the banninated nicks can no longer be used EVER. what about the just banned nicks? can they become available again? since:

reader50:
"Forum-wide bans can be set to automatically expire. The system supports that feature."

???????

if so, then rob has a mighty amount of banned nicks he can come back and use when the ban on them expires. or have those bans been given a forever status?

Alex

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 26, 2006, 06:03 PM

While we CAN set up bans to expire, that takes an extra step. Most of the time a ban for ban-evasion results in the new nick being permabanned. Generally, we use the automated expiration for when a user needs some time away from the PL or otherwise needs to step back (in our estimation). That's the kind of ban used on Railroader, for example.

Sometimes we don't realize a user has been benignly using multiple nicks, and if there's some question about this, we typically contact the user-this would be like a second, third or even later warning type of PM. In Rob's case, he intended to evade a ban (many, many times) rather than simply was using more than one account at a time. There was no ambiguity, and those banned accounts will remain banned forever.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2006, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a
Back on subject. that 1970's era quad system...

Anybody play with the Dynaco quad adaptor? I had a buddy who was a Crown dealer then, and he had 4 JBL SR8(big 4 way studio monitor) and 4 DC-300a's and 2 D-150's and he also had a really super Crown 4 channel reel-to-reel deck. It was a CX-844 in the floor cabinet. He had 2 of the IC150a preamps to control the stuff, and a DB systems preamp into the Dynaco fake-oh 4 channel (derived) adaptor. it was fun for a few years, and then He got an Advent Videobeam projection TV. In about a month he had sold everything but a DC300a and IC150, and the Reel-to-Reel. He got a pair of ESS AMT1 Towers and ditched them in a month for a pair of AR-LST's. He STILL uses it and eveything still works perfect. He's had the controls of the pre-amp replaced 2 times though. DC300a is STILL A BEAST!
Sounds like a nice set up. The first high power solid state power amp. I don't think I have ever seen more iron then in a DC300 trany. The IC150s are nice, as long as you keep them maintained, and pots clean. I should have snagged the IC150A in the walnut enclosure but got all antsy in the pantsy when found a decent original IC150.
( Last edited by G4ME; Sep 26, 2006 at 06:15 PM. )

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

reader50
Administrator
Sep 26, 2006, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
question:
since the banninated nicks can no longer be used EVER. what about the just banned nicks? can they become available again? since:

reader50:
"Forum-wide bans can be set to automatically expire. The system supports that feature."

banned vs banninated = just two different ban groups. The only diff is the 'banninated' one comes with our custom lock icons. There is no functional difference between the two titles. In other words, either group can be set to expire, or can be left permanently.

We're trying to get in the habit of always using the banninated with the high-visibility locks, but vBB defaults to the 'regular' banned title, so there will be a few of each.

Regarding bans, the user is banned rather than the nick. Thus the instaban on new nicks. Like ghporter said, if the user was already using another nick and we didn't realize it, please try to let us know. Mistakes happen.

Unfortunately, you might need to let someone else PM a request in, or try to find a Mod/Admin on an IM service. Last I checked, there was something messed up with the admin email box, it wasn't reaching anyone. I don't know if that's been fixed yet.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2006, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by G4ME
Sounds like a nice set up. The first high power solid state power amp. I don't think I have ever seen more iron then in a DC300 trany. The IC150s are nice, as long as you keep them maintained, and pots clean. I should have snagged the IC150A in the walnut enclosure but got all antsy in the pantsy when found a decent original IC150.
I currently have BOTH! The original IC150 has a problem that nobody could fix permenantly. When I switch in/out the tone controls, the center (balance moves) about 13 dB. With tone in, the bass also seems to affect the balance. So..... I got an IC150a with the cabinet! I cleaned all the controls and I use it with a Crown PSA-2 that went back to Crown for a bigtime tweaking a few years ago. I still love my DB Systems super low distortion Pre-amps though. I have 2 of them. One used with a DBX 118 for processing LP's for analog==>Digital, and another with a matching Poweramp running a pair of Classic JBL 4311's.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2006, 10:02 AM

good score, I use my DC300A pretty much everyday listening to the radio possibly hooked up to my computer.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 30, 2007, 03:30 PM

Update: I purchased a 2 channel technics integrated amp on ebay, the seller didn't get back to me with shipping costs for 2 weeks, so I bought another, and once that shipped the original seller sent me shipping costs, so now I have two. One of them actually became free, as it was damaged in shipping quite a bit (though the pics don't really show it very well).

Anyway, here are updated pics of the 'ultrabadass technics quadraphonic pimpotronic3000 system". Right now all this gear is just sitting there, not hooked up*, because I have to build an entertainment center to house it all. Yikes.

*: The quadraphonic amp is currently powering the bass shakers, but that's just temporary.

The two integrated amps, with vu meters... they're almost identical, but diff models. One puts out 40 watts per channel, the other is more like 50.

The uber-rare audioscope:

The only non technics part: A pioneer tapedeck. Doesn't work.

Good shot of the quadraphonic 8 track player:

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 30, 2007, 03:31 PM

All of it sitting on my ikea jerker desk, temporarily:

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2007, 03:45 PM

why don'y you just pony up the cash and get a real amp like the SX 1250

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 30, 2007, 04:09 PM

The SA-8500x is a real amp... it was receiver of the year, according to AUDIO magazine in 1975. Also, that pioneer you listed, while cool and powerful, is also extremely expensive, very rare, and ultimately, ONLY TWO CHANNEL. Weren't you the guy who was just telling me that watts aren't that important? I swear you were saying that just a few days ago.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2007, 04:56 PM

look at THD, the 1250 was leagues above the SA.

Whats wrong with two channel? Which is still mainstream today stereo or quad?

You can never have enough power

its how the power is delivered that matters, i'll rather haver higher sensitivity then a higher power amp.

but if you are investing so much space in vintage gear, why not get one thats worth it.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2007, 04:59 PM

I still like my friends Marantz 2270!

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 30, 2007, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
look at THD, the 1250 was leagues above the SA.

Whats wrong with two channel? Which is still mainstream today stereo or quad?

You can never have enough power

its how the power is delivered that matters, i'll rather haver higher sensitivity then a higher power amp.

but if you are investing so much space in vintage gear, why not get one thats worth it.
I'd need two. Do you realize how much that would cost? Right now my total investment, for everything... well... 150 for the system, 50 for two integrated amps, 50 for a center channel, and 50 for a sub. $300 total. If you can find me two Pioneer 1250s for sale in mint condition without problems that cost less than the $150-200 I'd get for my SA-8500x, I'll consider it.

For the record, the pioneers THD was .1%, and mine was .5%. Big difference to you maybe, but not me. This sounds plenty good.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 30, 2007, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Y3a View Post
I still like my friends Marantz 2270!
Marantz made some absolutely gorgeous looking and sounding equipment, but unfortunately even pieces of crap with the marantz name now demand a decent hunk of cash, for some reason. Even beat up fairly cheap models... >shrug<

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2007, 11:13 PM

WOW. That's an awesome system, congrats. I'm jealeous. At least it's in the hands of someone who knows what he has and will take care of it.

Cheers

Y3a
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2007, 09:46 AM

My IC-150a and PSA-2 don't suck so bad for 1980's era equipment either.
( Last edited by Y3a; Jan 31, 2007 at 09:57 AM. )

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 31, 2007, 09:52 AM

Your what?

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 31, 2007, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
I'd need two. Do you realize how much that would cost? Right now my total investment, for everything... well... 150 for the system, 50 for two integrated amps, 50 for a center channel, and 50 for a sub. $300 total. If you can find me two Pioneer 1250s for sale in mint condition without problems that cost less than the $150-200 I'd get for my SA-8500x, I'll consider it.

For the record, the pioneers THD was .1%, and mine was .5%. Big difference to you maybe, but not me. This sounds plenty good.
It takes instruments for almost everyone to tell the difference between 5.0% THD and 1.0% THD. In other words, if our ears aren't good enough to tell a difference at that level, YOUR slight increase is insignificant. Very cool system!

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2007, 01:23 PM

Your what?
Crown

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 9, 2007, 10:58 AM

Found a vid some guy made of the audioscope... not sure if he's using a 4 channel discrete source though.

YouTube - Technics SH3444

Kinda neat.

centerchannel68
Baninated
May 14, 2007, 12:32 AM

Okay, so it turns out this thread was a lie:

http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...r-too-after/2/

Because.... after that, I was done, but only for a while. Yes, I already have more amps than I need, but I spotted a Technics integrated amp, that was QUAD, on craigslist. For $50, I had to have it. It came with the original manual, original brochure, and it's VERY VERY mint. I guess the guy using it unwrapped it 1.5 years ago, so it's REALLY clean and perfect. Awesome. So...with this quad amp, and my quad receiver, and my twin integrated technics amps... I have a total of.... TWELVE amplified channels. What does that mean? Well, this summer, I'll post about my journey into the world of bi and tri-amping my speakers.

I have the ****ing coolest most awesome 1970s technics system EVAR! I just need a CD4 technics turntable, and it'll be the epitome of everything technics. hehehehe.

centerchannel68
Baninated
May 14, 2007, 12:35 AM

Woops. Here she is (not my pic, but you get the idea

I love this system. It is well beyond anything reasonable. Hahhaha.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2007, 05:19 PM

how are you going to bi/tri amp active or passive XO? I'd be worried at what color each amp give when you bi amp, usually you don't want to mix brands or models.

I am building a 4 channel chip amp over the past year or so (slow process where school got in the way) with the intentions of using active XO intergrated into the amp designed for a set of small/medium sized bookshelf speakes.

Its always nice to have more channels then you know what to do with.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2007, 11:10 PM

I love this system. It is well beyond anything reasonable. Hahhaha.
That is about as sweet as it gets.

Your craigslist is better than ours, here these deals just don't exist anymore.

Y3a
Mac Elite
May 17, 2007, 12:25 PM

But, is their ANY realistic sounding 4 channel material available?

Graviton
Mac Enthusiast
May 17, 2007, 12:26 PM

You'll never get to the moon in that

vntgtechnics
Baninated
Mar 27, 2008, 06:33 PM

Update:

(unsure of what forum to post this in, but I wanted to post it just because I'm sure some of you will dig this).

I've spent the last few years collecting, planning, and building what I would refer to as the ultimate vintage Technics system, using almost exclusively technics components from the mid to late 70s. It all started innocently enough, I had a pioneer home theater in a box system, and I really missed the big sound that only larger systems can provide. I started occasionally browsing ebay and craigslist for vintage receivers, and decided I'd like to get one. I was also originally planning on building a set of speakers to be powered by some 70s tank, when I stumbled upon an ad on craigslist selling a 'vintage stereo', with a rather small fuzzy picture of a few aluminum looking components with some rather large dark speakers, 4 of them. After talking to the guy and making sure the stuff wasn't junk, I went to pick it all up for a cool $150.

This was the beginning. For that $150, I received the biggest, baddest quadraphonic receiver technics ever made, the SA-8500X. At 22.5" wide and 6.25" tall, it was massive, and it weighed almost 70lbs. It also came with an equally wide but shorter quadraphonic 8 track player, the RS-858US. On top of that, it came with an amazing cool looking oscilliscope display, a Technics/Panasonic SH-3433. It's a visualizer of sorts, able to display both waveforms and 4 channels of sound at the same time from a top down perspective. Here's a quick vid:

YouTube - Technics SH3444

However, the real score in my opinion were the 4 large dark speakers. I wasn't originally really interested in them, as I was bent on building my own, but upon putting them in the car, when the guy walked away, I popped off the grills just to see what they looked like:

Wow. Pretty amazing looking drivers, and dome midranges? They had L-pads to adjust the tweeter and the mid, and their backsides sported 6 high quality terminals with a knob to adjust something. Huh.

Upon getting home, I discovered these were Panasonic SB-550s, some of the highest quality speakers Panasonic sold at the time, and that goofy knob and terminals on the back meant you could bi-amp or tri-amp them, if you wanted. Wow. I set everything up on my dining room table (much to the annoyance of my wife), and hooked everything up for a quick listen.

Holy. Crap. I heard things in songs I had never heard before, that I'd listened to a billion times. It was absolutely amazing. And this was just the beginning. One top of the fact that all the equipment was in A+++++ condition, I received the original manuals for EVERYTHING, along with the original receipts, schematics, and other misc accessories.

Over the next 10 months, I spent a lot of time scouring ebay, craigslist, and designing a desk/cabinet to hold all this equipment. This is the culmination of my efforts, thus far:

I built the desk myself over the summer in my school's woodshop, using 7 layer plywood with a baltic birch veneer. The details are anodized aluminum tubing, stainless cap screws, and I used my spraygun to put on about 4 coats of satin polycrylic. I gave my TV away, and replaced it with a 24" iMac, which has been great so far. I can watch tv, record shows, play games, watch DVDs, listen to CDs, mp3s, whatever, all feeding via optical audio to a technics SHA-500 dolby digital/DTS decoder. It feeds the 4 main surrounds into the SA-8500X quadraphonic receiver, which powers the amazing SB-550s. I wound up buying two almost identical amps, an SU-7300, and an SU-7700. The main difference is wattage, one pushes a bit harder than the other. I have the SU-7700 driving 4 bass shakers installed on the bottom of my couch and loveseat, which really makes low frequencies amazing. The SU-7300 powers a 10" subwoofer that I built for about $50 total, using a dayton DVC shielded sub. I also picked up an extremely extremely rare 'quadraphonic stereo amplifier', a Technics SU-3404, so rare that English Technics sites never even mention it.
How is it quad and stereo? Well it only amplifies 2 channels, but you can hook up another 2 channel amp to this thing, and it will control that amp also. It's very bizarre. I'm currently only using one channel of that, to drive a center channel I also built myself, for around $60.

Pics:
SB-550s:

WOODEN grills. How bizarre.

VU meters are sexy. This is the SA-8500x monster.

Aura Pro Bass shakers installed, the couch is suspended on 1" rubber blocks to allow it to really move.
Here's the center channel I designed and built myself, for about $60. The rounded back parts of the cabinet are all thermoformed.

Here are a few process shots of the subwoofer... I made a budget of $50, and came in at $48.92, total. One of the unique things about this sub is that the entire cabinet is rubberized with black, spray on plasti-dip to fight any resonance.

and finally, another shot of the desk with all the components:

The desk cost me about $300 in materials, but was well worth it. I designed it around my system, which had to be done, there currently are not any A/V cabinets that will house 22" wide components. My total investment has been about $750, excluding the iMac, but I simply cannot describe how amazing this system is. It can rattle my walls, if I want it to, but the clarity and sound quality is what really sets it apart. My plans for the future include building a set of drawers for the desk, along with a bigger, super badass subwoofer, and possibly another SA-8500X to bi-amp my SB-550s. We'll see, but right now this is just totally ridiculous in it's current state. I hope you enjoyed reading about it as much as I enjoy it daily.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2008, 06:40 PM

Rob's back!

I am envious of that system, nice job on the sub too

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2008, 06:47 PM

That ****in rocks man.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2008, 10:18 PM

Awesome. You're a clever bastard.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2008, 11:15 PM

Hell yes! Great setup! Love the wooden grills.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2008, 11:18 PM

I still find that plugged in wall clock bizarre though. I'd also upgrade the couch itself next

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 28, 2008, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
I still find that plugged in wall clock bizarre though. I'd also upgrade the couch itself next
Me too, but at least the battery will never run out.

IamLegend
Baninated
Mar 29, 2008, 03:12 PM

Thanks for the compliments! I appreciate it, if anybody's around Milwaukee and wants to hear it, shoot me an IM (cashsixeight). I like the clock. It moves smoothly, because it's an antique clock. It doesn't move like today's clocks, which snap from one second to the next. Plus it's really well built. Ideally I'd have it in the kitchen, in the little outlet above a doorway, but I don't have one of those in my current place.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 29, 2008, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by IamLegend View Post
I appreciate it, if anybody's around Milwaukee and wants to hear it, shoot me an IM (cashsixeight).
So now you've posted your whole name and location. Are you going to bitch when someone else does the same thing?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2008, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
So now you've posted your whole name and location. Are you going to bitch when someone else does the same thing?
O'Rly ?

cashsixeight is his whole name ?

And btw, his location wasn't exactly a secret. He posted it many times before.

But I guess you just had to post to keep the feud alive

-t

Railroader
Banned
Mar 29, 2008, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
O'Rly ?

cashsixeight is his whole name ?

And btw, his location wasn't exactly a secret. He posted it many times before.
He did in his other thread about his designs.

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
But I guess you just had to post to keep the feud alive

-t
You're right. Stupid of me. A mistake to have done it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2008, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
He did in his other thread about his designs.
So what's your point ?

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules