Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac DVD-ROM Update 1.0 - please post results

iMac DVD-ROM Update 1.0 - please post results
slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 1999, 06:51 PM

The iMac DVD-ROM Update 1.0.smi has been released - can those of you with applicable iMacs please post your results - especially those that had DVD issues (pausing, etc.)

Thanks,
Scott

imacdan
Dec 22, 1999, 08:58 PM

I installed it on my iMac DV with 8.6 and it was great!! No out of sync problems!

Macs Rule!!

MikeD
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 1999, 01:05 AM

I thought it only fixed things with reading CD-ROMS not DVD's

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

Chimera
Dec 23, 1999, 12:49 PM

I installed the DVD Firmware update, and the OS9 audio fix last night, and...all of my DVD Sync problems went away. Good job Apple!

MikeD
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 1999, 03:53 PM

Well, I had to try it... and you know what! IT WORKS! Now there are no synch problems!! A must download!

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

disectamac
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 1999, 08:19 PM

Hold on a minute...I updated and I still have audio video sync problems with DVD....I am running 8.6....could this be why?....

To all who have posted above:
are you running OS 9 or 8.6?

iPaul UK
Senior User
Dec 23, 1999, 10:35 PM

Well I don't know what some of you guys downloaded to supposedly fix your DVD sync problems. But it can't have been the "iMac DVD update" If any of you actually read any of the documents about this fix.. Then you will realise that it is not a fix for the sync problem. It's merely a fix for a totally different more minor problem. This update has made NO difference what-so-ever to the sync problem on my iMac DVSE running OS 8.6 Anyone who says that thier problems are cured can't possibly have tested the software properly. Just remember, this update does not change the main DVD software in any way. It's still the same old (terrible) beta version. The only thing that has changed, is the DVD Rom/firmware. And from what I can gather.. the change only concerns recognition problems with certain types of CD/DVD. Sorry guys, But this is not the update we have all been waiting for...

gyc
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 23, 1999, 10:40 PM

My Apple DVD player says it's 2.0 and doesn't say anything about beta, so is it also beta software or is that the final version? I haven't noticed any audio-sync problems. Its creation and mod date is Oct. 20, 1999.

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 1999, 10:49 PM

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the update only fixes the problems for iMacs that have OS9 on them, why this is beats me.

I have to assume is that the Apple people tested it only on OS9, thinking it would also fix OS8.6, but from what I'm read and heard this is not the case.
iGeek

Adam
Jan 26, 2000, 06:02 PM

Hey, I wouldn't install that DVD ROM update 1.0. I haven't been able to boot a DVD or CD since (they come up on restart if left inside the machine)!

Strange. But the ROM update is a one-shot deal and if it somehow goes wrong (which it has for a number of others at Apple's website)then you are screwed. You can on only do a ROM update once!

Yes, have tried all kinds of fixes from clean-installs, disk-doctor combos to wiping the entire drive out and reloading system 9.

No, I'll be waiting for a fix to fix the fix. The firmware was corrupted by that update and there is no going back. Real fun stuff. You wouldn't want to be me.

BTW. iMac DV SE system 9.

rgbrock1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2000, 01:25 PM

Adam,

You are not alone! I have an iMac DV running
OS9 and after updating the CD/DVD-ROM firmware with the v1.0 ROM updater i can no longer use CDs or DVDs unless they are stuck in the machine at the time of boot. Others tell me this is a H/W issue. I think otherwise. Actually, I think Apple should fix that which they broke. And the updater ran successfully to completion for me.
And, noooooo, reinstalling the OS - clean - does NOT help. Nor does: Zapping P-RAM, rebuilding the desktop file, clean-installing the system, running just OS9 control panels and extensions, low-leve reformatting the HD and reinstalling the OS, etc..
Richard G. Brock
[email protected]

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Jan 27, 2000, 01:39 PM

Here's how to get rid of the DVD Sync problem once and for all (hopefully). Apple has addressed the issue with four different software updates (one of which has recently been pulled). Having installed all four, I can honestly say they entirely fixed the problem. I've tested it on four DVDs. The DVD-ROM Update mostly fixes problems reading CDs. The DVD Player update (from 2.0 beta to final version) mostly fixed freezes. QuickTime 4.1 fixed some of the sync issues, while Audio Update 2.1 fixed everything else. Now my DVD drive works flawlessly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules