Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Help a guy out...

Help a guy out...
Wes
Nov 4, 2001, 12:13 AM

I am interested in making a few personal web sites. I can make a semi-descent page with the HTML that I know but I would like to do more. Is there a WYSIWYG program that would work for me? I know about Dreamweaver but it is a little pricy.

VRL
Senior User
Nov 4, 2001, 01:48 PM

Adobe GoLive is good (still a little pricey, but good software).

Free software would be something like Netscape (composer), which is part of Communicator.

You could also try to find one of those older programs (no longer updated, but fine for simple pages). I've used Adobe PageMill and HomePage (an old Apple product) in the past - I'm sure it would work for you, and it would be quite cheap. You could probably find them at an auction site.

Do you use Mac OS 9.x?

If you plan to design web pages in the future, you might consider getting Dreamweaver or GoLive. I certainly don't regret spending the money, and am now designing quite a bit!
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

Wes  (op)
Nov 4, 2001, 03:57 PM

Adobe GoLive is good (still a little pricey, but good software).

Free software would be something like Netscape (composer), which is part of Communicator.

You could also try to find one of those older programs (no longer updated, but fine for simple pages). I've used Adobe PageMill and HomePage (an old Apple product) in the past - I'm sure it would work for you, and it would be quite cheap. You could probably find them at an auction site.

If you plan to design web pages in the future, you might consider getting Dreamweaver or GoLive. I certainly don't regret spending the money, and am now designing quite a bit!
I have heard of composer, and from what I here it's awful. The sites I'm thinking about would be fairly complicated, how advanced does PageMill get? And what are the advantages of Dreamweaver over GoLive or vis versa? How easy are these programs to use, do they require any actual HTML coding on the user's part?

I use 9.0.4 right now, but as soon as a powermac that fits my needs comes out I will try to go with X as much as possible. (crosses fingers, G5, G5, G5...)

train
Nov 5, 2001, 11:16 PM

If you're gonna build large and complex sites, you'll be happy with Dreamweaver or GoLive. They are the best. You don't need to know much html for hardly any of the editors nowadays... But if you are new to all of this try one of the easier cheaper ones first and see if you really need all that... Maybe PageMill, SiteMill, PageSpinner(shareware?), Claris HomePage, etc. Some of these are a little old and not necessarily state-of-the-art, but good and cheap nonetheless. You can download a trial version of Dreamweaver from Macromedia's site, maybe GoLive from Adobe's- I don't know. Try em out for 30 days and see. Freeway is another one - i believe it proudly requires no html coding.

-train

Originally posted by Wes:
<STRONG>

I have heard of composer, and from what I here it's awful. The sites I'm thinking about would be fairly complicated, how advanced does PageMill get? And what are the advantages of Dreamweaver over GoLive or vis versa? How easy are these programs to use, do they require any actual HTML coding on the user's part?

I use 9.0.4 right now, but as soon as a powermac that fits my needs comes out I will try to go with X as much as possible. (crosses fingers, G5, G5, G5...)</STRONG>
train ::: GraphicsBooks.com

crystalthunder
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2001, 12:41 AM

The decision between GoLive and Dreamweaver is simple. If you already have or have experience in ANY other Adobe product, choose GoLive. Adobe uses very similar interfaces in all of its programs and it would be very easy for you to get used to. If you don't have much Adobe experience, get Dreamweaver. I think Dreamweaver is the best product out of the two but knowing the interfaces can really make a difference.
15" PowerBook G4 1.5 GHZ w/ 128MB VRAM
512MB DDR SDRAM 1 SODIMM
80GB 5400 RPM HD
Mac OS X 10.3.4

VRL
Senior User
Nov 6, 2001, 07:06 AM

<STRONG>

I use 9.0.4 right now, but as soon as a powermac that fits my needs comes out I will try to go with X as much as possible. (crosses fingers, G5, G5, G5...)</STRONG>
Yes, I would have to agree that Composer is weak. But it is free.

crystalthunder makes a good point - if you are familiar with Adobe products, GoLive is especially good. I use it most of the time and love it.

PageMill (much like HomePage) is very nice, simple software. If I remember correctly, very basic and straight-forward (frames, java console, etc.) but not a lot of whistles and bells (palettes, inspectors). I haven't used it much since I own GoLive, and it's no longer updated by Adobe. If you were designing something simple, and/or didn't plan to do much more designing, it would be a good, inexpensive choice.

If you plan to continue to use web design software in the future, want some up-to-date sophistication with minimal requirement for html coding, I'd have to recommend getting Dreamweaver or GoLive. Plus, GoLive will be upgraded for X (at least that's what I hear).
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

Wes  (op)
Nov 6, 2001, 11:01 AM

You can download a trial version of Dreamweaver from Macromedia's site, maybe GoLive from Adobe's- I don't know. Try em out for 30 days and see.
I tried!! several times, but every time IE quits "unexpectedly" or whatever. Anyone know why?

I am getting that everyone pretty much thinks Dreamweaver is superior to GoLive if I've never used an Adobe product before. Is this correct?

How long is the learning curve for these apps? I think there is an O'rielly book for Dreamweaver, has anyone read it?

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: Wes ]

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2001, 11:23 PM

there is an o'reilly book for dreamweaver.... built IN! actually its just an HTML reference, but, good nonetheless.

Nick

VRL
Senior User
Nov 7, 2001, 07:45 AM

<STRONG>

I tried!! several times, but every time IE quits "unexpectedly" or whatever. Anyone know why?

</STRONG>
Try another browser (maybe Communicator).

<STRONG>I am getting that everyone pretty much thinks Dreamweaver is superior to GoLive if I've never used an Adobe product before. Is this correct?

How long is the learning curve for these apps? I think there is an O'rielly book for Dreamweaver, has anyone read it?
</STRONG>
GoLive is good. Dreamweaver is good. IF you use Adobe products already, GoLive might be easier to learn/get comfortable with (similar interfaces).

Learning curves are not bad. Take your time, add something new with each update to your web site. (Works for me, anyway.)

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2001, 01:17 PM

GoLive is good if you're an Adobe TOADIE... Macromedia ROCKS in terms of power... SURE Adobe might have the same interface across the board but that AIN'T always a good thing... I have found that even though GoLive is a powerful tool it just doesn't do as much as easy as Dreamweaver, I own both and have since decided to sell GoLive. Dreamweaver is a lot more envelope pushing that GoLive.

Mac Guru

Forum Links
Forum Rules