Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB G4 400 DVD/CD-ROM Failure - Cost of Replacement ?

PB G4 400 DVD/CD-ROM Failure - Cost of Replacement ?
GK
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 6, 2002, 04:13 PM

The DVD drive in my orig. PBG4 400 Mhz seems to be dying. Each time I put a CD or DVD into the drive, it immediately spits it our again. After >10 tries, the drive accepted a CD, but could not read it. There was just a clicking noise, and the CD didn't mount. I guess I'll have to replace my drive.

Does anybody know how much it costs to have the drive replaced and whether there are any online resellers that sell replacement drives ?

Any help highly appreciated.

Thanks

bighead
Senior User
Oct 6, 2002, 07:15 PM

Maybe you could spring for MCE's Combo Drive replacement for all the TiBooks, including yours. It is $329 with the exchange of a drive. It doesn't say that the drive has to be working to count for an exchange, so maybe you can get it for that price. Check it out at http://www.powerbook1.com

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2002, 08:20 PM

Replace it with a new Panasonic OEM DVD-ROM drive or the new Panasonic DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive. You can find both on eBay or www.pricewatch.com. If you're willing to take apart you drive and replace the mechanism, you'll save yourself a lot of money. In fact, I think you should email Victor Marks at [email protected] and I'm sure he'd do the repair for a very reasonable price. He did an LCD replacement on my PowerBook for about $150. The comparable Apple repair would have been over $800.

liv2wrshp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2003, 06:36 PM

My drive just died. Has anyone tried these drives and can say they work?

Forum Links
Forum Rules