Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther 7B90? The real GOLD MASTER?

Panther 7B90? The real GOLD MASTER? (Page 2)
Robo-X
Forum Regular
Oct 7, 2003, 06:50 PM

Issues with 7B85.

When running repair permissions the famous garbled screen crash occurs on Lombard G3 PB with both RAM slots used.

When the computer crashes and FileVault is on, it can wipe out the whole home directory, whoops.

You can't view your personal homepage located in your /Users/username/Sites/ folder. Permission denied error. Even if all settings are fine.

Flash redrawing issues in Safari and Camino.

Other than that 7b85 looks good.

//Rob

nobodybutme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2003, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
haha, the best part of that war was when people thought that the devs had received a different 4k78 with the "make OS X slow" (aka debug code ) removed.

heh, good times.
During the whole "4K78" thing, the only thing that was more annoying, than the folks who actually kept touting debug code as the problem with performance until the bitter end, were ignorant people who turned the conjecture of debug code issues into a seemingly untrue software development issue.

Lame references to the ridiculousness of "debug code" in the build, seem to insinuate that it was a ridiculous theory from inception. Of course, folks like piracy reiterated that Apple removes all questionable code from official builds. People didn't believe him for whatever reason. But, that wasn't known originally. And actually, the "debug" code argument is very relevant in many application where performance may be an issue. "Debug Code" could include a multitude of things like heavy logging, experimental algorithms, extreme defensive programming, experimental libs, compiler options...all kinds of things. All of which can have overhead.

Don't get me wrong, I also agreed that blaming performance issues on debug code seemed a stretch and became more ridiculous with the ongoing arguements. I wasn't involved, but until piracy mentioned Apple's standard practices, it was a plausible theory. It's just a little annoying to see constant disparaging remarks to the concept. It shows ignorance, not wit.

JB72
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 10:29 PM

Originally posted by bsodmike:
[B]I've been a wintel geek for the better part of my life until I purchased my G4 pbook in March this year (28th lol I still remember the date!) and one of the reasons I got it was OS X...

Couple nights ago some guys talked me into installing 7B85 and I am speechless. I had never seen any of the other builds and right after the installation process (3.5gigs take a LOOONG time) when the 'cube' rotated I wasn't exactly sure if it was some demo flash thing or some video LOL....talk about freaking out...

Jaguar is already looking its age and I can not believe I'm saying this, cause if you asked me a week ago I would have been like, "Is Panther That Good?"....

No. It's not. It's better than sliced bread.

The new Finder is a joy, Samba works nicely. After using it for 48hrs I've only had one finder crash (instant reload) but that was partially my fault. Mail.app is very nice, got a couple more bells n' whistles.

Coulple stuff have been shifted on the Sys Prefs pane, like login items is apart of 'Accounts' and is associated with each user (makes sence!). Disk Copy has been integrated into whats called Disk Utility.

The new DVD Play is a blast, but some other users have complained of problems.

Battery life is great, I'm getting WAY more than I ever did and this is with a 8month old battery on a 1gig superdrive 15" Tibook.

Speed. Jaguar was feeling its age. Not only had it slowed down, but it being my 'first Mac os' it had a lot of stuff installed that I wouldn't normally bother installing. However the speed increase offered by Panther is instantly noticeable not only in the boot up process (significantly faster...) but within the OS. Expose does exactly like it should but is useless unless you got a nice rodent with lottah buttons (Mx500/700 maybe?) cause its a drag (specially on a pbook) to press F9 and then use the trackpad/button to choose window.

This is a long rant, but simply put, I'm loving Panther by the minute. It has rekindled a new love in my life
Great, posative post from a recent Windows user. And I notice you've caught on extra quick to some of the better Mac software out there. Good work fella!

bsodmike
Oct 8, 2003, 05:53 AM

Thanks for the kind words JB72. As for bugs, I've only come across one and that is with the 'screensaver'. The 'Computer Name' screen saver is sometimes represented by a folder, and if I choose it, it pops up.

here is the screensaver pane, note the 'folder' representing it...

upon choosing it, I'm presented with this:

...kind of like asking me to 'find it'.

Its strange, cause after I left my pbook sleeping and woke it up yesturday, it had *found* it haha

VERY strange!

Bug found

figured this out one. If you access Desktop and Screen saver from Sys Prefs it works...but if you EVERY in this session click on the desktop and choose 'change wallpaper' you get taken to 'screensaver' and 'computer name' dies...

So set it, and leave it if you want it

Thanks, Mike
( Last edited by bsodmike; Oct 8, 2003 at 06:17 AM. )

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2003, 08:56 AM

I tried this on an Apple Mac (not my own) and there was not that bug...
I think perhaps its your system.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Forum Links
Forum Rules