Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 Cube goes to sleep randomly, all the time.

G4 Cube goes to sleep randomly, all the time.
slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2000, 08:31 PM

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this. My G4 Cube goes to sleep on and off every few minutes.
Zapped PRAM, disconnected-reconnected everything.
Low-level formatted the HD and restored from CD. Energy Saver set to never sleep!!!
Apple 15" flat display.

Odd.

Scott

PCTek
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2000, 08:35 PM

Make sure nothing is touching the touch-button on the flat panel or on top of the cube. If you touch one of those, it will go to sleep immediately.

slboett  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2000, 08:41 PM

It was the 15" LCD display. Apple called and cross-shipped one. The guy was cerain this is a hardware issue with this piece.
I read every TIL and did every troubleshooting step one could do. SO, I'm confident in their assessment. I will post back next week with the results.

Scott

MiniMan
Forum Regular
Sep 1, 2000, 01:08 PM

I had the same issue with the same set-up (Cube 450 and 15 Studio Display). Mine even went to sleep in the middle of typing in my registration details in the welcome intro thing....!
I will keep an eye on it's behaviour over the weekend. Please post back the results of the new screen. Why did they think it was the screen and not the Cube..??

rik
Sep 1, 2000, 04:14 PM

I'm getting exactly the same thing - except I only running on a normal monitor (my 15" apple flat screen is coming Monday! - Can't wait!)
I first thought it might be a dodgy connection on the power supply into the cube - but it also could be it thinks its over heating? I'm a bit worried at the moment. It seems to sort it self out for a while then just goes off - right in the middle of when i'm typing.
Are there many people having the same thing happen?

rik
Sep 1, 2000, 04:21 PM

Its just gone off again - while I was looking at another web page. Is this the symptom:
Disconnects from internet for no reason.
Screen goes off and power light goes from cube.
I pressed the mouse button and everything came back to life.
It then reconnected to the internet - even though I didn't request a TCP/IP instruction!
Wierd.

zappat
Sep 1, 2000, 05:09 PM

Make sure that the power for the monitor and all the cords are totally away from the cube. There is something in that little box that makes the computer go to sleep. It will be fine if the wire are not laying around the computer or monitor...make them hang to the floor or something

MiniMan
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2000, 08:39 AM

The symptoms on mine seem to be related as to which power button I use.
I powered up this morning using the (15" LCD) monitor 'button' and it had _severe_ narcolepsy - it went to sleep about 4 times in 5 min, while I was doing stuff.
I then shut down and powered up using the 'button' on the top of the Cube and it's been running now for about 45 min with no snoozes...
Can anyone else confirm this...? I didn't move any cables or anything, just used the other button.

AJ
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2000, 10:59 AM

Yes...I am having this problem, except for mine sometimes shuts down as well. I gave Apple a ring, and they are taking it back a a Dead On Arrival (DOA)

It is a very frustrating problem...

AJ

AJ
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2000, 11:00 AM

PS it doesn't seem to matter which button i use to start up the Cube...

Also, does tapping the Cube, quite heavily on the side also send it to sleep?

MiniMan
Forum Regular
Sep 3, 2000, 08:12 AM

Confirmed... with mine it is definately related to which power button I use.
Turned it on again this morning with the screen and it went to sleep quite quickly. Sometimes it would only wake up long enough to go back to sleep again - I thought I'd never get back in...!! When I did get in, I shut it down and turned on with the Cube's button and it seems fine. It ran all of yesterday afternoon like that too. I've checked the ADC connector is in properly, I guess after the holiday I'll have to get on to Apple and Mac Mall (I bought the two parts in different places). Looks like it's the screen that's the problem though, right..?

AJ
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2000, 12:05 PM

MiniMan...I'll try that...interesting...hmmm i wonder if i should send the monitor back to apple along with my cube...

aj

AJ
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 3, 2000, 03:38 PM

UPDATE: I seem to have found something. If you push the power connector whilst the machine is running, and then 'wangle' it, the cube will shutdown.
EDIT: This is just stuuuuuupid. Ignore me please!

AJ

[This message has been edited by AJ (edited 09-07-2000).]

slboett  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2000, 08:23 PM

It's the 15" LCD that's the problem. A number of people have verified this, myself included. Apple took the 15" back - they knew immediately that this was the problem, so I suggest sending it back if you have one.

Scott

MiniMan
Forum Regular
Sep 4, 2000, 09:19 AM

It just shut down this moring having turned it on from the Cube... The difference today was that I was using a Zip 250 USB drive with the Firewire adapter. Again it kept waking up just long enough to go back to sleep and I had trouble catching it long enough to eject the disk.
Once I rebooted without the Zip disk in the drive, everything seems fine.
Could it be the PSU browning-out...? I haven't wiggled any cables or connectors as that seems to be asking for trouble, but if the Cube's response to lack of power is to go to sleep, maybe it's the PSU that's the trouble...
Slobett, did you get your replacement screen yet..? Did that solve the problem..? Maybe it's the screen taking too much power or something... Please let me know if it fixes things.

AJ
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2000, 12:05 PM

http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/N88037

Someone else found this on the TIL library...give it a try...i would, but my cube went back this morning. Apple will ring tommorrow, and say if they have found a problem.

Keep you posted...
AJ

iMight
Sep 4, 2000, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by slboett:
It's the 15" LCD that's the problem. A number of people have verified this, myself included. Apple took the 15" back - they knew immediately that this was the problem . . .
Thanks to all for this discussion. I saw the Cube with 15 inch combo for the first time this weekend - drooling all over it - and the only reason I hesitated buying right out of store stock was because I want to see what everyone's individual results are. Please keep 'em coming.

I'll probably order through apple.com anyway (educators discount takes $100.00 off Cube, $60.00 off screen). When do you think it will be safe to order a 'bugless' Cube/15 inch screen direct from Apple?

------------------
- iMight
------------------

MacOS761
Senior User
Sep 4, 2000, 06:59 PM

Heh, when there's a Rev. B.

------------------
We're supposed to sing about piraty things!
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

Skeeter]O[
Sep 4, 2000, 08:51 PM

This is an interesting thread for a couple of reasons. I just ordered a Cube/15" combo from the Apple Store today and I just found this forum. Needless to say I'll be watching how this turns out

Btw, this won't be my first Mac, but it will be the first one I've had in a few years. I resisted the iMac temptation but could not resist the Cube.

AJ
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 6, 2000, 04:42 PM

getting my cube back from the DOA people tomorrow, and they have had no problems with it on a two day test. Could be the 17" studio display, so i'll do some testing at home...

keep you all posted

AJ

gfbowie
Sep 6, 2000, 10:54 PM

it does seem to be the 15" monitor, but there are plenty of peoople who have the 17"studio with the same symptoms. ive found that for the time being, as long as i dont touch the cube or monitor, or shake the desk at all it never goes to sleep. stopgap solution until apple figures it out.
any luck on any of the returned monitors?

snoopy_fu
Sep 7, 2000, 12:45 AM

The sleep and power on problem of cube may be caused by:
http://til.info.apple.com/techinfo.nsf/artnum/n88037

Quote:
--------------------------------
Topic:

The DC-to-DC converter card in the Power Mac G4 Cube computer may move slightly out of its connector during shipping, causing the computer not to turn on when the power button is touched. This article explains how to reinsert the card to correct this issue.

Cheers Roger

Heman
Sep 7, 2000, 03:26 AM

I was about to order the cube with 15" LCD this morning at my uni comp store, but having play a while with it on the demo, I decided to put a hold on it.

That thing went to sleep with no reason, I didn't touch anything except the mouse(I was surfing the net.) The screen turned black and nothing happened. OK, I suppose it was sleeping. I move the mouse and trying to wake it up, but didn't work, press keys, no luck. Touch the power "button", the cube reboot again and told me that the machine was not probably shutdown, I pressed OK, and it crunched awhile and reboot again, again, again and again, it took four reboots to bring up the desktop. it went to bed in another 2 minutes when I was browsing the Macintosh HD.

There must be something wrong with the machine.
Powerbook G4 15" Alu 1.33GHz 768MB, combo Drive

Heman
Sep 7, 2000, 03:27 AM

I was about to order the cube with 15" LCD this morning at my uni comp store, but having play a while with it on the demo, I decided to put a hold on it.

That thing went to sleep with no reason, I didn't touch anything except the mouse(I was surfing the net.) The screen turned black and nothing happened. OK, I suppose it was sleeping. I move the mouse and trying to wake it up, but didn't work, press keys, no luck. Touch the power "button", the cube reboot again and told me that the machine was not probably shutdown, I pressed OK, and it crunched awhile and reboot again, again, again and again, it took four reboots to bring up the desktop. it went to bed in another 2 minutes when I was browsing the Macintosh HD.

There must be something wrong with the machine.
Powerbook G4 15" Alu 1.33GHz 768MB, combo Drive

AJ
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2000, 03:54 PM

It is the screen, not the Cube

Apple DOA people had the Cube for 2 days on test, and there was not a single (according to them ;-) shutdown or sleep. I have happily taken the Cube back. Got it out of the box, plugged it into the 17" Studio Display, and bang: 3 starts and restarts (just before happy Mac)

Just connected a different VGA monitor and there were no restarts etc.

They also had another Cube in for the same reason, and there was not a single problem with that one either.

Display is going back....hopefully Apple are watching this one closely

Again, I'll keep you all posted!
AJ

lauwersp
Sep 7, 2000, 03:56 PM

Well... I have a very related but different problem. Equipment involved: G4 Cube 500 and new Apple Studio 17. Pulled cube out of the box plugged in power. Pulled monitor out of box and plugged it into the cube. Instant power on of cube. "Odd," I thought. Maybe I was too close to the power button on top. Proceeding through the registration process, the cube goes to sleep right at the end when it's looking for a TCP/IP connection through the Airport card. "Hmmm." Use the mouse to bring it out of sleep. Machine freezes. "Sigh." Go to restart but cubes power bottom is unresponsive. Use monitor's power button instead. That began a random series of sleep or power off's for the next 24 hours. Power button on top of cube totally unresponsive under all conditions as long as 17" monitor is connected (of course via ADC). When ADC unplugged, cube's power button functions perfectly. All software induced sleeps, restarts, and shut downs work as advertised. After the first day, however, the only way to get the cube to power on was the unplug and replugin the ADC connector into the cube. Instant poweron.

Apple believes it's the monitor and is sending the replacement. As of 3 or 4 days ago, though, G4 tech support said mine was only the second case of anything like this.

I'm a little surprised to be reading all these postings.

Cary Stephan
Sep 7, 2000, 08:33 PM

I've been having this problem since I got my cube over a week ago. Apple has already replaced the 15" Studio Display and there's been no change: the cube randomly sleeps, shuts down, and restarts. It will even start up on its own if I plug it in sometimes. The wires are not near it, nothing is in the vicinity of the switches, and there are no flourescent lights. Since it's a custom configure I have to send it back for repair rather than straight replacement. I sure hope they get this resolved QUICK!

[email protected]

From Canada
Sep 8, 2000, 01:32 AM

I don't think it's a display problem.

I can see why there is this impression. People reported that when the Cube is connected to a VGA monitor, then it almost always functions properly. However, all this proves is that the Cube doesn't like being connected to a Studio Display via an ADC. The defect can be in the display itself, at the USB connection, in the wire, in the ADC connection, either in the pin-side of the connector, or in the socket side at the bottom of the Cube. Further, the fault may lie deeper in the Cube beyond the ADC connection.

Changing displays can give a clue to only this:
If auto sleep/shutdown occurs with both ADC and VGA displays, then the defect is probably in the Cube.
If it occurs only with ADC displays but never with VGA, then the fault has something to do with the Cube being connected to an ADC display. The defect can be anywhere: in the display or in the Cube.

Indeed, a few has written it also occurs with VGA, although rarely.

I have in fact started my Cube without any display connected. Guess what: it still sleeps and wakes up on its own.

However, my Cube seems more stable when it's upside-down, whether the ADC display is connected or not. (It still sleeps and wakes automatically, but less often). But I couldn't test it for too long as the vent is being blocked.

AJ
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2000, 10:15 AM

However, my Cube seems more stable when it's upside-down, whether the ADC display is connected or not. (It still sleeps and wakes automatically, but less often). But I couldn't test it for too long as the vent is being blocked.
This is really not a good idea; the convection cooling will not serve it purpose if the Cube is upside down (I am assuming the vent is blocked); it may overheat.

I spoke with AmSys (the Apple DOA people) and they are sure that it is the displays which are causing the problems...

AJ

rik
Sep 8, 2000, 04:53 PM

It seems at long last we are getting somewere - check this link out:
http://discussions.info.apple.com/We...aym^[email protected]

Oh **** - and mines just gone back to Apple to be repaired. We'll when I get it back if it doesn't work I'll know what to do!
Just hope I don't have to wait to long.
Good luck everyone.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Sep 11, 2000, 10:23 AM

and again:

G4 Cube random sleep bug: more theories Apple Support Discussions has an interesting thread as to the possible causes of the G4 Cube random sleep bug (you may need to be a registered user to see the thread). Of particular note is a message by "o hemi" who believes he fixed the problem by opening up the G4 and adjusting the shield on the back of the power switch.

(from MacFixit, today)

AJ
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2000, 02:42 PM

FYI: I had a phone call from AmSys (Apple UK DOA peeps) and they had found a fault with the 17" Studio Display within 45mins of using it.

Cube was faultless all along

AJ

rik
Sep 12, 2000, 08:54 AM

My cube was picked up on Friday and sent to Amsys, they called today and confirmed it was the problem with the power switch which they have now sorted.
Its gonna be back to me tomorrow.
Its the first time I've had to send an Apple back and I have to say I'm very impressed with the speed + service.
Cheers.

Zip-Zilla
Sep 13, 2000, 06:58 AM

Extracted from About the Power Mac G4 Cube PDF File
------------------------------------------------------------

Putting the Computer to Sleep to Save Energy

Your computer is set to go to sleep after a period of inactivity. Sleep is a state in which your computer uses very little power. You can also put the computer to sleep whenever you want.

When the computer goes to sleep, it saves its state so that when you wake the computer, your programs, documents, and control panel settings are exactly as you left them. You use the Energy Saver control panel, part of the computer's system software, to adjust sleep settings. For futher energy savings, disconnect the computer from its power source or turn off the power strip when the computer is not in use.

To put your computer to sleep, you can
- touch the power button on the computer
- select a sleep mode in the Energy Settings portion of the Control Strip
- choose Sleep from the Special menu

When the computer is in sleep, the power button light pulses.

You wake the computer by touching the power button on the computer or by pressing a key. With some Apple monitors, you can also use the monitor power button to put the computer to sleep and wake it.
I think this solves all your problems

slboett  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2000, 01:24 PM

Thank you so much. Now, please go back to rehab.

Scott

pumpkinapo
Sep 14, 2000, 07:50 PM

Just like to say that I got my cube today. And I was experinceing the same problem as most of you. It would shut itself down after about 20-25 min. Went to the previously posted link above. Preformed surgery on the cube and all is well since 2:30pm this afternoon. Otherwise...

THIS THING ROCKS!!!

- PumpkinAPO
Peter Leing
17" 1.67GHz PowerBook
450MHz G4 Cube

wlonh
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2000, 10:30 AM

from MacFixit:
Jason Pierce offers his take on the cause of the random sleep problem with G4 Cubes (see previous coverage one and two). Consistent with a previous report, Jason claims the cause is "inadequate shielding of the switch at the top of the G4."

"In essence, the entire case is being turned into a switch! The solution is to add shielding/insulation around the button assembly. We were able to repair the problem using electrical tape (used judiciously) around the outside of the metal ring of the button assembly. It should be noted that this does cause decreased sensitivity of the switch and if too much is used it can cause it not to function at all. Currently our technicians are trying to find an insulating gasket of some kind which is thin enough and of the right diameter, to work as a long term solution."

Jason claims that other suggested solutions (such as moving the cable going to the switch or switching to a different monitor) may appear to work briefly but are not the true permanent solution.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2000, 04:45 PM

yet another view on the G4 cube random sleep/restart etc. problem:

"The real problem in my case was the switch itself, and, more precisely, a small metallic disk underneath a plastic hood that sits around the LED and sits on a circular trace on the small logic board that comprises the switch. The plastic hood is not seated firmly enough into the small hole in the circuit board to keep the metallic disc making firm contact with the trace. Any small
disturbance, be it heat related, noise related, vibration related (see where I'm going here causes the disc to move or expand/shrink just the smallest, tiniest, tiniest amount. That then triggers the switch.

So, some people are seeing this problem with the speakers because the speakers cause vibration. Some people are seeing it with heat as the machine heats up or cools down. Some people are seeing it as movement because as they walk by the machine, because a small vibration triggers that contact.

I think that contact is important because it sense the amount of charge on the disc. And if it's not constant, the Mac decides the switch has been triggered.

To fix it, you need to remove the cube, and remove the screws holding the top aluminum plate on. Once doing this, REMOVE THE TOP SLOWLY! It is connected by a short 2" cable from the switch to the mainboard, and you don't want to break that cable, etc. Unplug the cable from the cube end.

Looking at the bottom side of that top plate, you will see a small circuit board containing the switch. It's mounted by two additional Torx screws. Remove those and pull the circuit board off. Now, you will see a small plastic housing (which is visible on the exterior of the cube as soon as you remove it from the core), which covers the top of the "on" LED. If you push very gently on the two leads going to the LED on the bottom side, that plastic housing should pop off fairly easily. Don't apply too much pressure, you don't want to break the LED. Once you get the plastic doughnut off, you should see a small metallic disc that is housed under it. Check to make sure the disc is situated well in the housing -- push it in firmly. Now, put the plastic housing back on the circuit board, and push it down very firmly (I turned ever so slightly and it seemed to seat better that way... I think perhaps the circular connector on it is maybe a little off-kilter and turning it made it nice and tight. Carefully reattach the circuit board to the plate with the two Torx screws, making very sure NOT to push at all on the bottom of the two leads that run up to the LED, otherwise, you will push the LED up a little and pop the
plastic housing off.

Now, reattach the cable, and the plate to the top of the cube.

I did this two days ago (after getting reboots 10 times a day), and have been running the machine continuously since, without a reboot!"

(the above is from MacFixit)

wlonh
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2000, 10:50 AM

"Apple has privately confirmed the sleep/shut down problems with the G4 Cube. In most instances the problem is the result of inadequate shielding around the metal ring which is part of the proximity switch. Specifically, the metal ring is contacting the ceramics near the switch. They are fixing the problem for users who send their units back to Apple by adding the necessary shielding/insulation.

In addition to the Cube problem Apple has identified a problem with certain 15" Studio Displays which many cause similar problems. Users experiencing the issues should contact Apple to have them check the serial number on their display and most likely, to send their Cube back to Apple for repair."

from MacFixit

cedmond
Sep 21, 2000, 05:16 PM

I had this problem with my Cube. I sent it back for Apple repair and it fixed the problem completly. I have not had a single reoccurance.

Skeeter]O[
Oct 20, 2000, 06:52 AM

I've had my Cube for about a month now. The first few weeks were without incident. Then the sleep/restart problems began occasionally and gradually became more frequent. When I heard my Cube start up on it's own I decided to try the DC-DC Converter reseat as explained in a TIL. Link provided in this thread.

Since then, over 48 hours ago, I've not experienced any more of these problems. Here's hoping this continues. I've grown quite found of my Cube and would hate to ship it off for repairs...

Forum Links
Forum Rules