Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Photoshop question

Photoshop question
mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2005, 03:37 PM

How can I create an image like this in Photoshop as a duotone.

The map must be only black (K) and the line must be the PMS color. I'm able to make the image a duotone, but everything is a duotone...

thanks!

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2005, 04:53 PM

If you can open the map w/o the line- open it as grayscale. Create a new spot channel, pick your pantone and solidity 100%. on the spot channel, draw the green line. If you're going to bring it into qk or something, save it as a Photoshop DCS 2.0, Single file- color composite. That should work.

Thorzdad
Jun 12, 2005, 11:35 PM

Is there a particular reason you want this to be a duotone image? Technically speaking, what it looks like you are doing isn't actually a duotone. Rather, it's just a 2-color print. In an actual duotone, the colors are blended to create unique depth and tonalities. In your example, you're merely creating a greyscale background with a second spot-color layer.

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2005, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by KeriVit
If you can open the map w/o the line- open it as grayscale. Create a new spot channel, pick your pantone and solidity 100%. on the spot channel, draw the green line. If you're going to bring it into qk or something, save it as a Photoshop DCS 2.0, Single file- color composite. That should work.
THANKS!!! I'll give it a try and see how it works out. Yes, I'm going to be using it in Quark.

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2005, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad
Is there a particular reason you want this to be a duotone image? Technically speaking, what it looks like you are doing isn't actually a duotone. Rather, it's just a 2-color print. In an actual duotone, the colors are blended to create unique depth and tonalities. In your example, you're merely creating a greyscale background with a second spot-color layer.
I guess you are correct. I'm just trying to create a spot color. I don't do much 2 color so any advice would be VERY helpful.

andi*pandi
Jun 13, 2005, 04:05 PM

you could also have your gs map, save as gs tif, draw the road 100% k, and save that as bitmap tif... composite and color tag in qxp or ind.

it's what I've done when avoiding dcs 2 files.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2005, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi
you could also have your gs map, save as gs tif, draw the road 100% k, and save that as bitmap tif... composite and color tag in qxp or ind.

woah... was any of that english? I'v never seen so many abbreviations in one post before.

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2005, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi

Do you mind saying that in english

The DSC 2 files don't like to output to a PDF.

andi*pandi
Jun 14, 2005, 10:29 AM

sorry, been typing in shorthand, a bit of carpal tunnel going on.

you've got your layered photoshop file.

copy the map layer to a new ps file, save as greyscale tif.

copy the road layer to a new ps file, same size as map file, save as bitmap tif.

import both into indesign as separate graphics, in same location, (you could copy and power paste the map to keep them lined up, then replace the second map with the road.)

Tag the road image with your PMS color of choice. Since the road is bitmap, anything not tagged as color is transparent. (if this were cmyk you could use indesign's transparency, but for 2/c stay away from transparency.)

Does this make more sense, or am I still babbling? I've done this several times, but do tend to use lots of shortcuts.

(also responded to PM, but I think I edited this to be more clear.)

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2005, 02:45 PM

^ Will work the same in Quark too. (If that's what you insist on using.}

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2005, 11:00 AM

so basically one image on top of another image (in their own boxes) (in Quark)?

Thorzdad
Jun 16, 2005, 11:48 AM

Personally, if this is just a one-off image, I'd simply place the grayscale tiff into an Illustrator file, then draw the line as a spot-color stroke. But that's me. ;-)

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2005, 03:11 PM

Nope, this is part of a book with multiple maps.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2005, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
so basically one image on top of another image (in their own boxes) (in Quark)?
Yes- the Key being a bitmap tif on top of the grayscale tif. Won't work the other way around.

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2005, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit
Yes- the Key being a bitmap tif on top of the grayscale tif. Won't work the other way around.
That just seems so old school. I would think Photoshop Quark/InDesign would have figured something better out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules