Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > North Korea - Nuke

North Korea - Nuke
mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2006, 11:06 PM

So... do you all think it really happened?

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2006, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh
So... do you all think it really happened?
Was there a date when we suspected it might happen? I thought it was all very speculative at this point? Or did you see some news bulletin I might have missed?
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2006, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by selowitch
Great. Here we have real terrorism with the capacity to kill millions, and we, America, are depleted of the strength and resolve we need to meet this menace because we squandered it all on a campaign in Iraq against a regime that posed little threat to us and a war in Afghanistan that failed to take out bin Laden.
Bin Laden may very well be dead.

Also, we have very little leverage with NK. Multilateral talks are needed. Also, their military is larger than our military.

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2006, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
Was there a date when we suspected it might happen? I thought it was all very speculative at this point? Or did you see some news bulletin I might have missed?
The USGS is saying that they didn't register anything... which is usually the first people to know.

I'm guessing that they didn't, but who knows. I'm watching MSNBC and they still don't have anything confirmed.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2006, 11:26 PM

The USGS is saying that they didn't register anything... which is usually the first people to know.

I'm guessing that they didn't, but who knows. I'm watching MSNBC and they still don't have anything confirmed.
The NYT website has a "confirmed" story as of 10:58 PM EDT.
No Radioactive Leakage From Weapons Test, North Korea Says

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: October 8, 2006
Filed at 10:58 p.m. ET

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) -- North Korea said Monday it has performed its first-ever nuclear weapons test. The country's official Korean Central News Agency said the test was performed and there was no radioactive leakage from the site.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2006, 11:28 PM

The BBC website has it confirmed as of 11:09 PM EDT.
North Korea in nuclear test claim

Reports from North and South Korea say the communist authorities in North Korea have carried out their first ever test of a nuclear weapon.
The North Korean state news agency said the underground test was a success.

In South Korea, President Roh Moo-hyun convened a meeting of his top security officials following the reports.

North Korea said last week that it planned to test a nuclear weapon, in defiance of international warnings, because of what it called US hostility.

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2006, 11:29 PM

Their front page is saying "North Korea Says Nuclear Test a Success
No Radioactive Leakage Reported From Weapons Test Site"

So I'm guessing they jumped the gun. I'm waiting for the state department.

I dare not turn on Fox News

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2006, 11:30 PM

The Washington Post has an AP report from 11:03PM EDT.
North Korea Says It Conducted Successful Nuclear Weapons Test
Associated Press
Sunday, October 8, 2006; 11:03 PM

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) -- North Korea said Monday it has performed its first-ever nuclear weapons test. The country's official Korean Central News Agency said the test was performed successfully and there was no radioactive leakage from the site.

"The nuclear test is a historic event that brought happiness to the [sic] our military and people," KCNA said.

South Korea's Yonhap news agency said the test was conducted at 10:36 a.m. (9:36 p.m. EDT Sunday) in Hwaderi near Kilju city, citing defense officials.

Kevin
Baninated
Oct 8, 2006, 11:32 PM

Maybe if we throw a bunch of money at them, they will stop.

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2006, 11:33 PM

I'm still not hearing anyone other than NK saying it really happened. I'm not saying it didn't... but I'm waiting for confirmation.

selowitch
Mac Elite

Bin Laden may very well be dead.
But the fact that we neither killed nor captured him means we failed in Afghanistan. Oh, and the Taliban are coming back, too.
Also, we have very little leverage with NK. Multilateral talks are needed. Also, their military is larger than our military.
Clinton and Albright handled NK so much better than these blustering, ignorant fools in the Bush administration.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN

Their front page is saying "North Korea Says Nuclear Test a Success
No Radioactive Leakage Reported From Weapons Test Site"

So I'm guessing they jumped the gun. I'm waiting for the state department.

I dare not turn on Fox News
From the Fox News website. Nothing melodramatic yet, just a variant of the same AP story.
North Korea Claims Test of Nuclear Weapon; U.S. Officials Can't Confirm
Sunday, October 08, 2006

SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea said Monday it has performed its first-ever nuclear weapons test. The country's official Korean Central News Agency said the test was performed successfully and that there had been no radioactive leakage from the site.

"The nuclear test is a historic event that brought happiness to the our military and people," KCNA said. "The nuclear test will contribute to maintaining peace and stability in the Korean peninsula and surrounding region."

South Korean President Roh Moo-hyun has convened a meeting of security advisers over the issue, South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported, adding that intelligence over the test has been exchanged between concerned countries.

mitchell_pgh  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2006, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
I'm less worried about the US and more worried about Russia, China and Japan.

They are at deaths door at a number of situations.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2006, 12:03 AM

"Clinton and Albright handled NK so much better than these blustering, ignorant fools in the Bush administration."

Funniest statement ever!

Clinton sure did handle the problem.

no. wait...

he funded the nuke.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2006, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
"Clinton and Albright handled NK so much better than these blustering, ignorant fools in the Bush administration."

Funniest statement ever!

Clinton sure did handle the problem.

no. wait...

he funded the nuke.
C'mon don't be so cynical…if we just be nice to them things will be A-OK.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2006, 12:05 AM

What happened to the Forums the past 30 minutes? Did the North Koreans get to us? Is this a sign of war? Are they attacking late-night Mac users first?

OMG . . . Here they come now!!!

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2006, 12:08 AM

Are you people thick-headed or what?

North Korea has *NEVER* told the truth.

They didn't test a nuke. They wouldn't know how.

Everytime they aren't on the front page they issue a threat. Then, they don't follow through.

quick! somebody write 'em a check

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2006, 12:15 AM

The USGS website shows no activity in or around North Korea. I read that a 10 kiloton bomb test in Nevada (1951) registered 3.8 on the Richter scale... The Hiroshima bomb was 15 kiloton in size

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2006, 12:20 AM

Also, their military is larger than our military.
Who? NK? Um…No The only one larger is China.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

selowitch
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2006, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by TheWOAT
The USGS website shows no activity in or around North Korea. I read that a 10 kiloton bomb test in Nevada (1951) registered 3.8 on the Richter scale... The Hiroshima bomb was 15 kiloton in size
The USGS database might have been altered by the NSA. But probably not.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran

I think the US should just ignore North Korea and not give in to their bargaining techniques. Giving them money just encourages them to do something more outlandish for even more $$$....,
I think the US should give them a warning: "use a nuke on someone else, and you will no longer exist as a country... if you dont attack anyone, then we wont attack you"

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie

NK troops including reserves = 5,800,000

USA troops including reserves = 3,000,000

NK annual defense budget = $4.5 billion

USA annual defense budget = $400billion

So NK spends about $775 for each soldier per year

USA = $133,333 per soldier

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2006, 12:26 AM

NK annual defense budget = $4.5 billion

USA annual defense budget = $400billion
Well, I didn't even consider the reserves.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2006, 12:27 AM

USGS Earthquake Hazards Program � Magnitude 4.2 - NORTH KOREA

Now there is an event showing up, but I dont know if this is the "Test Site"

selowitch
Mac Elite
Oct 9, 2006, 12:28 AM

We don't have the dubious luxury of forcible conscription. Besides, it would be much more relevant to measure how much iron we could drop on North Korea via air and sea bombardment. We would flatten them in no time. The one thing they have on us is the threat of using their new nuke on South Korea. They know we can't let that happen.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2006, 12:34 AM

I'm still not hearing anyone other than NK saying it really happened. I'm not saying it didn't... but I'm waiting for confirmation.
South Korea detected a tremor in the Earth at the time North Korea claimed to have done the test, one consistent with an underground nuclear test. I'd consider that verification.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2006, 12:36 AM

Now there is an event showing up, but I dont know if this is the "Test Site"
Interesting.

I'd be really surprised, though. But then, they've had over a decade to build a nuke.

Somehow, I don't think I'll lose any sleep over it.

It would just paint a big bullseye on North Korea.

But hey, the UN can just draft a resolution and take care of the threat.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2006, 12:36 AM

magnitude 4.2 , Event on 10:36 am local time.. consistent with news reports.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2006, 12:37 AM

We don't have the dubious luxury of forcible conscription. Besides, it would be much more relevant to measure how much iron we could drop on North Korea via air and sea bombardment. We would flatten them in no time. The one thing they have on us is the threat of using their new nuke on South Korea. They know we can't let that happen.
I think their troops are probably poorly equipped with low moral.

But, as you said, that's not the problem. The problem is that North Korea could easily turn South Korea or Japan into a glass parking lot.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2006, 12:38 AM

confirmed.

It's on Drudgereport. And drudge ain't never wrong.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2006, 12:39 AM

they'll want a big check now.

Sucks to be a North Korean right about now. Knowing your life will be measured in days.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2006, 12:42 AM

It could become "The Night-Light of Asia"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2006, 12:45 AM

Somehow, I don't think I'll lose any sleep over it.

It would just paint a big bullseye on North Korea.
We can't touch North Korea now. As soon as we touch them they'll start lobbing nukes at all their neighbors. Japan, South Korea... they wouldn't care if they were even involved in the military action against them.

Congratulations to the Bush administration for again letting the important issues go for too long until they're a really big mess. If we had been talking to North Korea in the early 2000's maybe this could have been solved. Now not even military action will help.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2006, 12:46 AM

Clinton and Albright handled NK so much better than these blustering, ignorant fools in the Bush administration.
selowich, the Clintonistas and Jimmy Carter were responsible for allowing NK to get nukes and put America into the position that we're in. And Albright was a total pig.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2006, 12:47 AM

hahahaha

goMac, you're kidding, right?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2006, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
selowich, the Clintonistas and Jimmy Carter were responsible for allowing NK to get into the position that America's in. And Albright was a total pig.
How often has Bush sent a diplomat to North Korea? For all the trash talking your doing about Clinton and Albright, note the Albright has actually been to North Korea. How many people in the Bush cabinet have been to North Korea to try to solve this issue?

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2006, 12:51 AM

*shakes his head in disbelief*

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2006, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
Congratulations to the Bush administration for again letting the important issues go for too long until they're a really big mess. If we had been talking to North Korea in the early 2000's maybe this could have been solved. Now not even military action will help.
I think North Korea was going to ignore any diplomatic agreements they would have signed and continue on with their Nuclear Weapons Program. Maybe the US should have pre-emptively bombed North Korea

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2006, 12:56 AM

I think North Korea was going to ignore any diplomatic agreements they would have signed and continue on with their Nuclear Weapons Program. Maybe the US should have pre-emptively bombed North Korea
I agree something should have been done about North Korea. The problem is it would have required significant military planning. North Korea already had a lot of missiles pointed at the south.

Of course with the Iraq idiocy we've had going Bush nicely ignoring North Korea.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2006, 12:58 AM

You *think* they would have ignored any agreements they signed?

Dude, they violated all the agreements that Clinton and the worthless wench Albright negotiated. And they knew it. Clinton just kept giving them money if they'd agree to stop developing nukes.

It was laughable THEN - and hardly news to any living breathing Americans.

What's even more laughable is the fact that liberals were upset that Dubya said NK was part of the axis of evil. And even today they would throw a hissy fit if anybody attacked NK. Liberals love socialists. It's a brotherhood.

Finally, it really isn't a problem the USA has to deal with. If NK has more than one nuke - and some way to get it to our shores - it would be destroyed in-flight. Now, other countries might have a problem. So let them fix it.

The UN has it all under control. Why worry?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2006, 01:02 AM

What's even more laughable is the fact that liberals were upset that Dubya said NK was part of the axis of evil. And even today they would throw a hissy fit if anybody attacked NK. Liberals love socialists. It's a brotherhood.
Knowing that a country is a problem is different than saying things to intentionally provoke them. I'd say Bush publicly calling them part of the axis of evil has contributed to where we are today.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2006, 01:04 AM

I give up, You ain't right in the head.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2006, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
Knowing that a country is a problem is different than saying things to intentionally provoke them. I'd say Bush publicly calling them part of the axis of evil has contributed to where we are today.
I'd say that it has brought the seriousness North Korean problem to the forefront of the discussion. All Clinton did was sweep the problem under the rug in the hopes that it wouldn't surface until after he is out of office.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2006, 01:09 AM

I believe Keith Olbermann will prove that North Korea never had any intentions of building a nuclear weapon UNTIL Bush was voted in office and gave his axis of evil speech....

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2006, 01:11 AM

I believe Keith Olbermann will prove that North Korea never had any intentions of building a nuclear weapon UNTIL Bush was voted in office and gave his axis of evil speech....
That's a fantasy.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2006, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush
I'd say that it has brought the seriousness North Korean problem to the forefront of the discussion.
Except it didn't, because we called them part of the Axis of Evil and then we didn't do anything.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2006, 01:16 AM

That's a fantasy.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 9, 2006, 01:17 AM

bump

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2006, 01:22 AM

I'd say that it has brought the seriousness North Korean problem to the forefront of the discussion. All Clinton did was sweep the problem under the rug in the hopes that it wouldn't surface until after he is out of office.
Clinton tried to handle the problem with diplomacy. Bush tried to solve the problem by invading Iraq. I'd say Clinton's approach made more sense.

tie
Professional Poster
Oct 9, 2006, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
How about we do absolutely nothing?

Oh wait, we already tried that. Didn't work.

But regardless, we must Stay the Course.

Forum Links
Forum Rules